Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:15:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We need allies, guys.  (Read 1221 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:18:51 PM

So we've been talking about how to make Bitcoin mainstream, right? We won't be able to do that unless we can get some allies on board who are going to get something out of adopting cryptocurrencies beyond a new way to take payments. The recent presentation by Marscoin Foundation member Lennart Lopin at the Mars Society convention kinda got me thinking that the aerospace industry could be a good pick. Their products are high-priced enough that Virgin Galactic can justify taking Bitcoin as payment for rides into space, there's all kinds of sponsorship opportunities like Mars One and its idea of funding missions to Mars with media events, and this would give us a chance to get in on the ground floor of the interplanetary economy. http://bitcoinonmars.com/blog/cryptocurrencies-and-aerospace-should-be-partners/
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:20:21 PM

This is a shameless marscoin promotion?

Edit: After reading some of your post history: Yes it is a shameless promotion.

This spot for rent.
commandrix (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:45:17 PM

Actually, Marscoin is kinda capable of promoting itself even outside of the usual cryptocurrency "comfort zone." And that's kinda my point.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:29:27 PM

let somes mores banks crash (italia and UK) ... and freezing account for bank run and ... at september, bitcoin will rise.  Cool
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:47:46 PM

i prefer to throw all the FIAT in the world at mars one, let the project complete and then simply blast an unmanned vessel into space, blow it up and say goodbye fiat.

as for bitcoin throwing billions of dollar value (basically the whole coin in circulation) is foolish, irresponsible.just for a sticker on a rocket that no one will see, and maybe 20 minutes of press coverage (probably 10 separate interviews talking about bitcoins for 2 minutes each)

the whole money grabbing for start ups should be left for the fiat hoarders to hand over. and then in return they get bitcoin.. not handing over bitcoin and converting it to FIAT.

in theory sponsoring something seems like a great idea. but in practice. throwing money into space is not as practical as people getting out of their basements, starting legitimate businesses that are consumer protected and insured enough to be trusted. now thats what bitcoin community should be concentrating.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:29:02 AM

What interest would the aeroespatial industry have on bitcoin?

One mission to space can very well cost billions, when the market cap of bitcoin is this order order of magnitude.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 12:29:56 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 12:59:00 AM by Beliathon

i prefer to throw all the FIAT in the world at mars one, let the project complete and then simply blast an unmanned vessel into space, blow it up and say goodbye fiat.
Love you, Franky. You have my sword.

@OP - we have the most powerful ally of all. Time.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
commandrix (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:32:36 AM

Love you, Franky. You have my sword.

Fiat and altcoins are all equally useless shit. Fuck em.

Don't you guys all get sick of just hanging around and advertising Bitcoin sites to each other. You people are going to all be very surprised. Tongue
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:22:12 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 01:45:49 AM by franky1

Don't you guys all get sick of just hanging around and advertising Bitcoin sites to each other. You people are going to all be very surprised. Tongue

i dont advertise businesses on this forum. and spending bitcoins on a FIAT project purely to advertise a logo that will only be visable on a rocket for 8 seconds* is not a surpise that id wait around for.

*from the count down of 10-9-8-7 all the way to 2 when the fumes of the exhaust fill the camera view and hide the logo. and then suddenly the rocket is thousands of feet in the air and getting further and further away, never to see that logo again.

but here is a good idea if you really want to utilise the entire circulation of coin

EDIT (example of better scenario for those trying to say lets spend all the circulation)
spend $200
use $50 to buy a tablet pc (a basic one just for displaying QR codes)
and $150 to incentivise people to go to a merchant and set them up with bitcoins.

do this for a dozen shops per town ($2400(4btc) cost).

many people would rather throw 4 BTC each to get a dozen shops per town accepting bitcoin and having it all ready setup via the tablet for the merchant. rather then spending the whole coin in circulation on a advertising gimmik.

imagine it 3 million people with a average 4btc each, using the coin in circulation to get a dozen stores accepting bitcoin. thats 36million stores world wide accepting bitcoin... now compare that to how many stores would accept bitcoin purely due to the mars one sponsorship?

EDIT (now the reality check)
ok now in reality it wont need the entire circulation to get more business adoption, infact if people done the work themselves all they would need to do is buy the tablets to offer to merchants for free, or if they are good sales men getting 12 merchants to pay the salesmen to set up bitcoin. thus not spending ANY BITCOIN but making money instead.

imagine 3 million bitcoiners that just got off their asses and got 12 merchants each to accept bitcoin. either:
just volunteering their time to set them up (no cost no income)
buying merchants a tablet to give to merchants all pre-set up and loaded for free(worse case costing a quarter of circulation)
or
selling merchants a setup service to include a tablet if the merchant needs it for X amount(no bitcoin cost to bitcoiner, but instead an extra income for the bitcoiner)

hmmm if only i thought of that idea earlier
EDIT... oh yea i did think of it earlier.. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=658380.0

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:24:01 AM

imagin it 3 million people with a average 4btc each, using the coin in circulation to get a dozen stores accepting bitcoin. thats 36million stores world wide accepting bitcoin... now how many stores would accept bitcoin by throwing the same circulation at the mars one sponsorship?

So you want to spend 12,000,000 of the current ~13,000,000 BTC to promote BTC. Haha Smiley

This spot for rent.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:34:46 AM

imagin it 3 million people with a average 4btc each, using the coin in circulation to get a dozen stores accepting bitcoin. thats 36million stores world wide accepting bitcoin... now how many stores would accept bitcoin by throwing the same circulation at the mars one sponsorship?

So you want to spend 12,000,000 of the current ~13,000,000 BTC to promote BTC. Haha Smiley

i dont. i was saying mars one requires the entire circulation, i was just showing a better use of the circulation .. if it were to be used. you know purely giving a better case scenario/example of circulation use.

and then if you read the last paragraph of my post. to get 36million businesses could cost just a quarter of circulation(just buying tablets).. OR if the salesman is good enough, he can get the merchants to buy the tablets.. thus using zero bitcoins, and instead the salesman can actually make money, not lose it.

commandrix (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:19:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about putting a logo ON THE ROCKET. You can check out Mars One's Contributors Page if you want an idea of where the logo is going to be. And the higher tiers of sponsorships can get perks like logos and links in the Mars One email newsletters and on their Facebook page, along with (probably) special mentions when they do their media events.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:16:57 AM

Seems to me that we are focusing on Bitcoin in the wrong way. What I mean is, we need to focus on Bitcoin as a pattern for doing things, going places. We shouldn't be focusing on Bitcoin as the end idea, in itself.

Ask yourself again, what really is the only reason for Bitcoin. Isn't it so that we have a tool that we can use to more effectively do trade among ourselves, without giving a piece of our transaction to some bankers?

In other words, Bitcoin is there to help us barter among ourselves more easily, to amass wealth for ourselves in the regular way, by trading our labor and abilities for the various necessities of life.

There are two ways to amass wealth using Bitcoin. One is to provide an honest product and service, same as most of us do through our job anyway. The other is to leech and mooch off the labor of other people, like the banks and governments do.

So, how should we use Bitcoin as a pattern rather than as the focus, itself? Here's how. Let's turn everything that we trade among ourselves into a form of Bitcoin.

What I mean is, lets STOP measuring Bitcoin against and by the various fiat currencies. Rather, let's measure Bitcoin against everything else in life. For example:

An acre of land in Arkansas is worth 40 bitcoins; a small lot near L.A. is worth 40 bitcoins; an acre of land in Arkansas is worth a small lot near L.A. Notice how we have totally left fiat money out of the equation. Notice, also, how we have removed even Bitcoin from the picture.

The point is, lets program everything into its value with relation to everything else. An hour's worth of steel mill worker time is worth, say, 2 hour's of Walmart labor. Therefore, it will take a Walmart worker twice as long to work for the same refrigerator that the steel mill worker trades his time for.

Something like this has been started already. Consider that when you fly cross country, you can get online and find the price of a ticket for the various airlines, and the seating class on the plane, as well. Or look at the different online services that compare price and value for different products.

If we program everything in this fashion, using a Bitcoin-like free protocol, soon fiat money and the rip-off bankers will be out of the picture. Governments won't have the ability to bypass the people's transacting. Everything will return to the basic, honest free market, at least in general. Rip-off artists and cons will gain a reputation, and nobody will work with them. People will be able to store up wealth in the form of possessions or skills rather than fiat or bitcoins that have absolutely NO INHERENT VALUE WHATSOEVER.

I think that this should be our goal for living life, in the area of economics. Fiat would be gone. Bitcoin would still be there, but it would be used as an economic modelling instrument. Or as a plaything, so that people like us would have something to talk about on Bitcointalk.

So, what's next?

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:19:43 AM

I don't think this is a very realistic number.
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:21:37 AM

good idea

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
commandrix (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:11:43 AM

Seems to me that we are focusing on Bitcoin in the wrong way. What I mean is, we need to focus on Bitcoin as a pattern for doing things, going places. We shouldn't be focusing on Bitcoin as the end idea, in itself.

Ask yourself again, what really is the only reason for Bitcoin. Isn't it so that we have a tool that we can use to more effectively do trade among ourselves, without giving a piece of our transaction to some bankers?

In other words, Bitcoin is there to help us barter among ourselves more easily, to amass wealth for ourselves in the regular way, by trading our labor and abilities for the various necessities of life.

There are two ways to amass wealth using Bitcoin. One is to provide an honest product and service, same as most of us do through our job anyway. The other is to leech and mooch off the labor of other people, like the banks and governments do.

So, how should we use Bitcoin as a pattern rather than as the focus, itself? Here's how. Let's turn everything that we trade among ourselves into a form of Bitcoin.

What I mean is, lets STOP measuring Bitcoin against and by the various fiat currencies. Rather, let's measure Bitcoin against everything else in life. For example:

An acre of land in Arkansas is worth 40 bitcoins; a small lot near L.A. is worth 40 bitcoins; an acre of land in Arkansas is worth a small lot near L.A. Notice how we have totally left fiat money out of the equation. Notice, also, how we have removed even Bitcoin from the picture.

The point is, lets program everything into its value with relation to everything else. An hour's worth of steel mill worker time is worth, say, 2 hour's of Walmart labor. Therefore, it will take a Walmart worker twice as long to work for the same refrigerator that the steel mill worker trades his time for.

Something like this has been started already. Consider that when you fly cross country, you can get online and find the price of a ticket for the various airlines, and the seating class on the plane, as well. Or look at the different online services that compare price and value for different products.

If we program everything in this fashion, using a Bitcoin-like free protocol, soon fiat money and the rip-off bankers will be out of the picture. Governments won't have the ability to bypass the people's transacting. Everything will return to the basic, honest free market, at least in general. Rip-off artists and cons will gain a reputation, and nobody will work with them. People will be able to store up wealth in the form of possessions or skills rather than fiat or bitcoins that have absolutely NO INHERENT VALUE WHATSOEVER.

I think that this should be our goal for living life, in the area of economics. Fiat would be gone. Bitcoin would still be there, but it would be used as an economic modelling instrument. Or as a plaything, so that people like us would have something to talk about on Bitcointalk.

So, what's next?

Smiley

I'd say you did a good job of saying something I maybe should have in the first place, BADecker. I think that was what I was trying to get at when I mentioned in the article I linked to in the original post that we should quit trying to advertise TO EACH OTHER whether on this forum or on advertising services like Anonymous Ads and do more about advertising to people who might actually watch a good media event like the one that Mars One is going to produce. I think those of us who pretty much focus on our own little Bitcoin world kinda forget that a lot of people don't know that there are actual websites where they can buy things they actually want using cryptocurrencies and that's what causes a lot of the problems we have in getting Bitcoin to go mainstream. And it's not like we're going to pay the entire cost of a trip to Mars. We just need to get the sponsorships in (which I know are pretty cheap right now -- email sponsor@mars-one for details) and we'll start seeing that there is such a thing as Return On Investment when Mars One really gets rolling.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:36:17 AM

if you google 'cost of living index', 'consumer price index' or 'commodity price index'. this may help you out

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: