Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:51:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to buy real estate with Bitcoin?  (Read 4272 times)
Baitty (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:22:25 AM

What's the best way to go about buying real estate with Bitcoin, of course there is no law firms accepting Bitcoin as far as I know which would be a problem if anyone wanted to solely purchase with Bitcoin.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
libivan

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:57:52 AM

As long as the parties agree with the terms, deal closed, I don't see great difficulties.

Since BTC is not treated as a currency by the legislation, I believe the deal will take the form of a barter agreement.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:59:57 PM

Just go about it the usual way you would it might be difficult getting a lawyer to accept Bitcoin but I can see it being done if you approach the right open minded person they should know that Bitcoin is legit because they know the law.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:05:18 PM

Considering the same thing, downsides being:

1.) Still have to pay CGT

2.) Negotiations will be hindered if sellers dont understand BTC

3.) Choice limited

Not sure anything much is gained at this point, need more services.
professorXY

Activity: 166
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:59:25 PM

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Does anyone have experience buying a property using Bitcoin?
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:06:15 PM

Use Bitpay. There was a recent transaction involving a piece of land in Lake Tahoe that was purchased with bitcoin that was processed with Bitpay. I think there were a couple others as well that were processed in a similar fashion.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:09:02 PM

What's the best way to go about buying real estate with Bitcoin, of course there is no law firms accepting Bitcoin as far as I know which would be a problem if anyone wanted to solely purchase with Bitcoin.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I can help answer some of your questions, I have been in real estate finance for over a decade.   Are you looking to purchase a home for BTC, straight up?  Or were you thinking about using BTC as a down payment and obtaining a loan for the remaining principle balance?
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:35:53 AM

There was an article in the WSJ (among other places) that highlighted a sale of property in Lake Tahoe for $1.6 million that was paid for in bitcoin. I believe that the seller had used bitpay that gave the buyer 15 minutes to pay for the invoice once all the paperwork was finalized  so the seller could receive the proceeds in fiat.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Game Sir

Activity: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:12:10 AM

First,you can find a boss of estate who loves bitcoins and then you can buy estate with bitcoins from him.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:54:24 AM

Being that bitcoin is still a very new currency You will be at a somewhat disadvantage if you try to buy a house with bitcoin. The reason for this is because it will add complexity and expense to the transaction on the seller's side.

The seller would more likely then not want to convert the bitcoin to fiat (he will have to if he needs to pay off a mortgage on the subject property). I think most real estate transactions have used bitpay to handle the BTC to USD conversion for the seller.

The easiest way to use bitcoin to buy real estate would be to simply convert your bitcoin to fiat and use that fiat to buy a house.

barney_stinson

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 01:06:21 PM

Does anyone know a website where it is represented real estate which is sold using Bitcoin?
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

Does anyone know a website where it is represented real estate which is sold using Bitcoin?

I made this thread a while ago might be some helpful tips in here but not sure on sites just yet.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=628403.0
SHA255

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:23:04 PM

AFAIK there are none as of now. You could easily make an offer on a house being sold for fiat and make one condition that you can pay in bitcoin.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:30:04 PM

This is going to primarily depend on if you are trying to purchase the home all cash (all BTC), or if you are trying to obtain a loan (using BTC as the down payment), and financing the rest of the home.

I have been in the mortgage banking business for over a decade, and as far as I know, no major investor is allowing BTC as a form of liquid assets.

The easiest way to do this, would be to sell BTC and then purchase the home all cash.   This will be a logistical nightmare with taxes, but it would be the easiest way to get it done...
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 02:25:46 AM

This is going to primarily depend on if you are trying to purchase the home all cash (all BTC), or if you are trying to obtain a loan (using BTC as the down payment), and financing the rest of the home.

I have been in the mortgage banking business for over a decade, and as far as I know, no major investor is allowing BTC as a form of liquid assets.

The easiest way to do this, would be to sell BTC and then purchase the home all cash.   This will be a logistical nightmare with taxes, but it would be the easiest way to get it done...
I would think, in theory a bank could allow the down payment to be paid for in bitcoin, if the purchase contract specified that part of the purchase price was payable in terms of bitcoin (for example 200 BTC instead of $100,000 worth of bitcoin). 

keithers
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:55:47 AM

I would think, in theory a bank could allow the down payment to be paid for in bitcoin, if the purchase contract specified that part of the purchase price was payable in terms of bitcoin (for example 200 BTC instead of $100,000 worth of bitcoin). 

All down payment funds have to be sourced and verified with any deposits greater than 10% of your monthly income being documented with copies of checks. Because this cant be done with BTC, you wouldnt be able to use it as down payment funds. You would have to

1) sell the bitcoins
2) deposit the funds into the bank
3) season those funds for 2 months

After those 3 steps, you could use the funds for a down payment if you are trying to obtain a loan.
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 01:35:00 AM

All down payment funds have to be sourced and verified with any deposits greater than 10% of your monthly income being documented with copies of checks. Because this cant be done with BTC, you wouldnt be able to use it as down payment funds. You would have to

1) sell the bitcoins
2) deposit the funds into the bank
3) season those funds for 2 months

After those 3 steps, you could use the funds for a down payment if you are trying to obtain a loan.
If you have enough other assets (like stocks, bonds, real estate with a lot of equity in terms of LTV and total dollar amount, fiat money in the bank) then an exception could be made to this rule.

Another option would be to go to a lender that is willing to take on more risk, you would obviously pay a lot more in interest, but would achieve your goal.
hayabusa911

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 07:56:55 PM

Try craigslist. I have seen real estate for sale for bitcoins so the seller is expecting BTC.
toleng

Activity: 261

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 03:54:13 AM

Try craigslist. I have seen real estate for sale for bitcoins so the seller is expecting BTC.
There are very few people who list their homes on craigslist. The people that do this are mainly people listing their home for sale by owner, which is a small minority of home listings.

IMO it is a much better idea to simply sell your bitcoin on an exchange and use the proceeds to pay cash fiat for a house.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:12:26 AM

The shadiest way to do it would be to pay the person the BTC and have the seller gift of equity the home to you,  but that is a humongous red flag and highly not recommeded. You will probably make the 8oclock news for tax evasion.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: