Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:08:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN SCAM. Please Be aware. Blockchain users at risk of being scammed fools!  (Read 1031 times)
tss (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:28:37 AM

haha.. gotcha on the topic.. but on a more serious note.

user info has been leaked and some people, whether users of blockchain or not, are receiving automated phone calls saying their info is compromised and are provided a link to log into their accounts to verify.  obviously this is fake.  i wont post the fake links as i believe they also contain malware.

numbers i have seen..

702-537-0958 this number has been used in the past for some political related survey and probably identity collection scams as seen via google search

877-400-9321 this seems to be a real company based in staten island ny.. not sure why they are part of it.. maybe their phone systems have been compromised

be aware..
protect your btc..

on a side note, don't keep more than your spending habits with a 3rd party
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fuzzpaws

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:33:59 AM

Its a good thing I dont use Blockchain XD  Gotta love my paper wallet
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:51:34 AM

Something tells me that the phone numbers were collected in some other manner and the scam artists are just hoping that people have blockchain wallets without 2FA.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Yeezus

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:52:48 AM

Blockchain.info is fine if you set up the additional security features and dont go logging into phising sites or giving your details away to random phone callers.

Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:15:44 AM

Something tells me that the phone numbers were collected in some other manner and the scam artists are just hoping that people have blockchain wallets without 2FA.

They almost certainly did this and I'm sure blockchain.info has not been comprimised. It's usually what happens when you get spam mails or calls from bank fraudsters. They just send mass blanket emails out to everyone hoping they snare at least someone.
tss (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:27:35 AM

this is probable

i would think craigslist as a suspect, but unfortunately, i have a different phone number for craigslist dealings and the scam came in NOT on that number.

i don't think they are robocalling everyone with bitcoin scams like google adwords.. we wont be there for a few years..

i REALLY would like to figure out how they managed to get my number to robocall me with this scam so i can know who and how my personal info was leaked to spammers
Rampton

Activity: 525

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:29:21 AM

If there was a leak or problem directly from blockchain then we wouldve heard about something from Anton. This is probably just phishers doing what phishers do.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:40:59 AM

this is probable

i would think craigslist as a suspect, but unfortunately, i have a different phone number for craigslist dealings and the scam came in NOT on that number.

i don't think they are robocalling everyone with bitcoin scams like google adwords.. we wont be there for a few years..

i REALLY would like to figure out how they managed to get my number to robocall me with this scam so i can know who and how my personal info was leaked to spammers

Did you buy anything with bitcoin from a website that required your contact information? This could include mining hardware, bitmit (old) or other cryptocurrency auction websites, or any other source? Do you use your same forum name here as you do on other forums or online services that may have your contact info?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:00:35 AM

Blockchain.info is reasonably safe so long as you activate 2FA and avoid mobile usage

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████