Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:11:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AVG free anti-virus  (Read 1452 times)
ScryptAsic (OP)

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 11:45:57 AM

Is free AVG good enough to stop keylogger?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:57:40 AM

No antivirus by itself is able to stop a keylogger or other virus with certainty. An adversary can always write a new one that doesn't match signatures, or trigger heuristic detection in clever ways. The only ways to prevent keyloggers are proper OS design combined with a careful attitude toward unknown files.
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:11:15 PM

It's a decent anti virus but will only prevent you from getting any sort of virus you still have to be careful.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
ScryptAsic (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 12:40:44 PM

No antivirus by itself is able to stop a keylogger or other virus with certainty. An adversary can always write a new one that doesn't match signatures, or trigger heuristic detection in clever ways. The only ways to prevent keyloggers are proper OS design combined with a careful attitude toward unknown files.

Unknown files, does that mean as long as I don't download anything silly and keylogger I am safe?
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:44:22 PM

it just flags up anything that looks suspicious it doesn't mean it is harmful so you still need to use your brain and decide whether its safe or not its just a type of warning system and not something which just stops everything.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:52:32 PM

Unknown files, does that mean as long as I don't download anything silly and keylogger I am safe?

Unfortunately no. For example if your browser or some of it's plugin has a security hole (and they always have!) you can get infectected just by opening a web page (without downloading anything).
ScryptAsic (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 12:57:37 PM

Unfortunately no. For example if your browser or some of it's plugin has a security hole (and they always have!) you can get infectected just by opening a web page (without downloading anything).

Oh come on, now that scares me... does using chrome help to stop that problem?
RedDiamond

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:12:08 PM

Oh come on, now that scares me... does using chrome help to stop that problem?

All browsers including Chrome have security holes. Developers try to fix them as soon as the holes are found. Therefore it is important to install all the updates as soon as they are published. But there are always so called zero-day attacks which have no fix available.
BeeTeeSea

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:33:22 PM

i use mbam pro
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:34:23 PM

I just use microsoft essentials for when I'm on a windows machine otherwise I don't need one because I'm using Linux most of the time.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
elliwilli

Activity: 307

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 01:36:42 PM

AVG is pretty bad now.
I use a cocktail of Bitdefender free and Malwarebytes and have not had a infection in 3 years with them, really good software.
Malwarebytes detects almost anything and is the best scan time antimalware on the market in most tests.

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:46:13 PM

If you have been targeted by a skilled hacker there's no antivirus which can stop him from entering in your system and installing whatever keylogger virus etc he wants.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:09:07 PM

If you have been targeted by a skilled hacker there's no antivirus which can stop him from entering in your system and installing whatever keylogger virus etc he wants.

Unless you are a skilled security expert then the hacker will have to be pretty smart theres some awesome ways you can protect yourself from majority of attacks.

HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:11:40 PM

I guess it's a very good way to start. But you can't always be sure even when using anti-virus software. The keylogger or malware could be very new and those scanners may not detect them. If you want to be really safe, sign your transactions on an offline machine!

BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:23:51 PM

it just flags up anything that looks suspicious it doesn't mean it is harmful so you still need to use your brain and decide whether its safe or not its just a type of warning system and not something which just stops everything.

Yeah exactly. Also it works best if it 'knows' the viruses or the malware. I uses several intelligent ways of recognizing new malware, but this isn't completely safe. Definitely use your own brain if you're doing something Bitcoin related! And use 2FA!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:44:07 PM

So for the summary basically install a trusted anti virus just for a warning type system and then you use your brain from there and you can't really go wrong.

oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:43:22 PM

No matter what anti virus you use it will not help to stop a keylogger. An anti virus will help you to keep your computer safe from anything that may cause it serious harm but from there on I would just ensure you have done plenty of research to prevent anything happening that can not be prevented from an anti virus alone.
jcgarrick

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:51:55 PM

I use ESET and Mbam pro
btcguys

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:05:30 AM

you may want to check out Kaspersky or Bitdefender
Also, use offline wallet if you can and avoid hot online wallet
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:08:06 AM

AVG Free/Avast/Microsoft security essentials (weaker of the three) are all 'decent' products. I'd use one if I used an antivirus (and you should always use one). Just play smart and you'll be fine with one of those three antiviruses. I prefer avast free personally.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: