Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:32:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best age to introduce your kids to Bitcoin?  (Read 6215 times)
will_see

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

https://bountyminer.io

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 06:54:03 AM

May be at 9-11 years. When children becomes a little bit smarter to realize all the good thing that bitcoin may offer Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kayex

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:56:49 AM

Personally, if they can use a computer well and secure their computer, they should be fine. Maybe as a teen? If they're not responsible then they don't deserve to deal with btc.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:56:54 AM

I would say once they start getting interested in money, and want to purchase stuff
Of course teaching them about technology seems like a no-brainer though since they are curious but they probably would be better off learning it steadily over the years.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:58:11 AM

I don't think you should try expose them to bitcoin at a too early age. Kids need time to be kids and they grow up too fast these days. If they're curious about it tell them though.
movelikejagger

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:11:49 AM

May be at 9-11 years. When children becomes a little bit smarter to realize all the good thing that bitcoin may offer Smiley
Do you think that it's a good age? At this age children sometime don't understand what is dollar and the difference between usd and euro imho
will_see

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 07:30:38 AM

Do you think that it's a good age? At this age children sometime don't understand what is dollar and the difference between usd and euro imho
I think that children who dont know what is dollar at 9 years its smth impossible to imagine. Cause year by year children becomes more and more smarter than older generation of children. I think you understand me and my idea

movelikejagger

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:33:36 AM

I think that children who dont know what is dollar at 9 years its smth impossible to imagine. Cause year by year children becomes more and more smarter than older generation of children. I think you understand me and my idea
It's true but there are a lot of children that live in a troubled families and they may not heard about dollar. Ok may be not dollar but the diff between dollar and euro
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:35:46 AM

Well in general the younger a child learns about finance and how to earn and manage their money the better since it builds up good habits that last a lifetime.

That said learning should be a privilege not a chore and used as a tool not an obstacle so its important to make things easy, and make old subjects like finance seem like a fresh thought by teaching them Bitcoin and unconventional methods to learn about finance in a new light.
If a child understood what is money before they were 10 and what is fiat that would be mighty impressive.
Since its not taught much in school, or general finance for that matter.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
will_see

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 07:50:09 AM

Well in general the younger a child learns about finance and how to earn and manage their money the better since it builds up good habits that last a lifetime.

That said learning should be a privilege not a chore and used as a tool not an obstacle so its important to make things easy, and make old subjects like finance seem like a fresh thought by teaching them Bitcoin and unconventional methods to learn about finance in a new light.
If a child understood what is money before they were 10 and what is fiat that would be mighty impressive.
Since its not taught much in school, or general finance for that matter.
Yeah, may be you right

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:43:13 AM

I'd suggest contacting the dev in of Piggy Coin,  Their coin is aimed at children and teaching them to learn and understand Crypto so they would likely have an idea of a proper age group for kids to get started with Bitcoin.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:54:08 AM

It is pathetic when you read "advice" in the coloured press on how to teach children to save at the age of six. "Do you want that toy this year, or maybe save for next year and have more?". When in reality, next year they can probably not buy the toy they want for the same money.

As soon as they are able to grasp the concept of money, tell them about good money and bad money, and offer them a choice to save grandma's gift in sound money, or convert them to hard assets (like toys).
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:02:25 AM

Personally, if they can use a computer well and secure their computer, they should be fine. Maybe as a teen? If they're not responsible then they don't deserve to deal with btc.
What is the purpose of this? It's like punishing a bad student by telling them they're not allowed to do homework. Kids should be encouraged to do new things and learn. That's how you grow.

Ballache

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:05:24 AM

1. Teach them what 'money' is as soon as they understand the concept.

2. Teach them how 'money' is 'created' as soon as they understand the concept. At this point they should then be ready to move on to..

3. Why there has to be an alternative.
Silly Money

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:09:34 AM

2. Teach them how 'money' is 'created' as soon as they understand the concept. At this point they should then be ready to move on to..

But at what age is that? The true concept of money is hard to understand for kids. Heck, most adults dont even understand it.

MakeBelieve (OP)

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:11:38 AM

Best age would be 8 - 10. Especially when you taught them how to save money and they are old enough to understand the concept of money.
I would agree that this is probably the best age to teach a child about bitcoin. You should teach them around the same time you teach them about "traditional' fiat money. You may want to wait a little while longer until you teach them how to secure their coins and the risks of not securing them.

That's what brought me to this conclusion I'm teaching them how to handle fiat money so I thought it would be a great idea to also show them Bitcoin but they are already interested in Bitcoin so it's a little better I think I would be able to teach them more because they would be willing to learn.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Ballache

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:15:08 AM

But at what age is that? The true concept of money is hard to understand for kids. Heck, most adults dont even understand it.

I bought my niece a silver coin for her 5th b'day. My sis thought I was nuts lol. I guess no age is too young to start.
AYGTX

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:16:12 AM

I think when they will know how to use the pc and have their own emails , otherwise you ought to not tell them about cryptocurrencies
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:16:44 AM

When they reach 14-15 I think it would be a good age for them to learn responsiblity with their own money/coins and how to handle them. Smiley
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:47:20 AM

Best age would be 8 - 10. Especially when you taught them how to save money and they are old enough to understand the concept of money.
I would agree that this is probably the best age to teach a child about bitcoin. You should teach them around the same time you teach them about "traditional' fiat money. You may want to wait a little while longer until you teach them how to secure their coins and the risks of not securing them.

That's what brought me to this conclusion I'm teaching them how to handle fiat money so I thought it would be a great idea to also show them Bitcoin but they are already interested in Bitcoin so it's a little better I think I would be able to teach them more because they would be willing to learn.
After thinking about this a little bit I think you should probably wait until they are in the mid-teenage years until you teach them the importance of security measures. It is true that people will try to steal your bitcoin if they have the opportunity, however this is really not something you want to be teaching your innocent child
mrcashking

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:00:04 AM

i'd say around 8 years old minimum
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: