Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:48:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 3012 times)
turtlehurricane (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:43:46 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2015, 01:56:20 PM by turtlehurricane

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FurianSun

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:58:58 PM

Alts are far from dead. Some new coins like LibrexCoin and ShadowCoin are even bringIng new innovations like staking Android wallets. As long as coins keep making new and exciting things they will survive.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

I don't know if it is dead, but it reminds me of studying US auto manufacturing about 100 years ago.

Believe it or not, there were even MORE auto manufacturers in the early 20th Century than there are altcoins now.  Here is a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_automobile_manufacturers_of_the_United_States

Eventually, that list of probably 1500+ manufacturers consolidated down to basically three--Ford, Chrysler, GM--for most of the last 80 years.  Just like auto manufacturing which had a bunch of small-timers making cars in their garage, we've got some small-time altcoins being issued right now.  They won't have manufacturing scale issues like the car makers did, but they sure will have issues with product differentiation, education, and lack of standardization.

My guess is that there will eventually be 3-5 alts that separate themselves from the rest and stand the test of time.  Again, there are some differences.  Car makers need lots of capital.  There is also a lot of overhead with a manufacturing facility.  Altcoins that do not add value to the ecosystem can probably hang on a lot longer than an auto manufacturer with similar issues.  Innovation in crypto can probably happen at a faster rate.  But eventually, this market will consolidate massively.
Curavi

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:59:32 PM

I agree with most of what you said, but the biggest interest to me is the experimental features people are adding. Clearly Bitcoin could use some improvements, but the core team is intentionally making slow progress to keep the ecosystem stable. Can't even imagine what the crypto scene is going to look like in 3-5 years Smiley
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:03:12 PM

Alts are not dead.

Alts trying to recreate the wheel of Bitcoin for the most part however are. There is more a blockchain can do than just send currency.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:03:43 PM

I agree with most of what you said, but the biggest interest to me is the experimental features people are adding. Clearly Bitcoin could use some improvements, but the core team is intentionally making slow progress to keep the ecosystem stable. Can't even imagine what the crypto scene is going to look like in 3-5 years Smiley

Yes, the nice thing about alt-coins is that they provide real-life testing grounds for new ideas.   I'd imagine that the Bitcoin market would actually be much weaker in its current state if none of these other ideas were explored.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:08:06 PM

I am not sure you can call a 500,000,000 USD part of cryptocurrencies "dead". But that is just my opinion...
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

Dead? I don't think so.

The new Goldcoin (GLD) client is going to get a lot of people's attention. It's basically Bitcoin 2.0.

https://www.gldtalk.org/index.php?topic=2616.0
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Dead? I don't think so.

The new Goldcoin (GLD) client is going to get a lot of people's attention. It's basically Bitcoin 2.0.

lol Java.

No.

vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:35:08 PM

I am not sure you can call a 500,000,000 USD part of cryptocurrencies "dead". But that is just my opinion...

That is one way to look at it.

Another way might be that 900+ coins pooled together only come to about 7% of the crypto market, with BTC being 93%.  And, oh, by the way, LTC is just about half of that 7% and it's tough to make a strong case that LTC is on the rise.  So, subtract out two coins and now you're talking about 900+ coins totalling $250mm and 3.5% of the market.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:37:11 PM

Dead? I don't think so.

lol Java.

No.

What's wrong with Java?
Rnbin

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:37:41 PM

Scams and frauds are also happening with euros and dollars, shall we let them die out too ? Everything where money is flowing will attract scammers. The altcoin market is a great way to make innovations for cryptocurrencies and the money involved is a stimulant for people to improve their product. Just invest in the right coin and don't invest more than you can miss when things do get fishy.
IXC2XIC

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:38:16 PM

Last November they said alts were dead and then they blew up.  Once BTC takes off later this year we'll get a crypto boom 2.0 and we'll have several quark-type winners.  I think one can make way more money buying alts right now than buying Bitcoin although it's much more risky.

IXC2XIC

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:39:33 PM

Dead? I don't think so.

I think calling it Bitcoin 2.0 is going just a bit too far.  Lol.  But it should be good - can't wait to see it.

nsimmons

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:46:18 PM

Dead? I don't think so.

lol Java.

No.

What's wrong with Java?

I have been following you since you took over this project. I have to hand it to you, you are persistent.  Wink I do check the gld price every now and then.

Alchemix

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:53:21 PM

99% of Alt coins should be dead...many are simple pump n dumps, and no logical person can really argue that fact.

Its the 1% of Alt coins that are so important.
They are pushing the bar higher and higher and we need that for the industry to grow in the future.

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 09:02:16 PM

99% of Alt coins should be dead...many are simple pump n dumps, and no logical person can really argue that fact.

Its the 1% of Alt coins that are so important.
i think you have overestimated the importance of altcoins by 1%.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:03:21 PM

At this point alternative cryptocurrency is dead. No one is using any alternative crypto as a legitimate currency, alternative cryptocurrency prices are simply too unstable, and Bitcoin already fills the need for a cryptocurrency. The only real use of alternative cryptocurrency is for trading on the markets, in the hope of catching a pump and dump at the right time. This would be an amusing game, but unfortunately alternative cryptocurrency has become a cesspool filled with scammers. It isn't safe to buy or mine alternative cryptocurrency, most alternative crypto investors have been scammed at least once. I'd venture to say that the only reason alternative crypto is still popular is because so many scammers are involved.

Alternative cryptocurrency is actually giving a bad name to all of cryptocurrency, it is time to let it die instead of continuing to support the various scams that are constantly arising. There are some legit non-scam coins like Litecoin, Dogecoin, and Black Coin, but ultimately even these legit alternative cryptos are going to fade into obscurity since there is no use for them. Every single "successful" alternative crypto has followed the trend of gaining a lot of value quickly in the beginning, and then slowly losing value forever after that.

I don't think alternative cryptocurrency will ever disappear entirely, but at this point it has become a shell of what it should've been, and that shell is filled with criminals trying to get as much money as they can out of unsuspecting investors.

I agree with much of that, but I think alts have a future, and it is by finding their own small markets.

The criminal fraternity have dominated lately, but hopefully their time is coming to an end.

Also, just to add, BTC has had more dodgy stuff going on around it than the rest taken together at least in terms of pumps and dumps (in dollar terms). The demise of Gox seems to have lessened that.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 11:24:07 PM

IS THIS DEAD!!

Let's learn about XC and why it blows it's competitors including BTC out of the water hands down...( this was mostly copied from the XC website because it explains it best)

Total coins:
5.5 Million
Premine: 125k
Block Times: 90 Seconds
POS interest: 3.33% per year
Min stake time: 8 hours
Max Stake time: 30 Days

TECHNOLOGY

The XC network is made up of two parts: (1) the standard XC network, made up of computers running the XC App, and (2) the anonymous XC network, which is run by XC Nodes.  All apps that are open and connected to the network while holding coins are a part of the standard XC network.  This network is very similar to what other cryptocurrencies currently use.

The XC anonymous network, on the other hand, is something entirely different.  It can be accessed from any XC App, but if a user designates a transaction to be sent anonymously, it is processed by the XC Nodes which make up the anonymizing portion of the network.  Any XC App can be set up to run as an XC Node, as long as it meets certain criteria

no bloat

XC was designed from the ground up to be compatible with mobile devices. Currently, there are several projects that have an anonymizing strategy that results in an unworkable blockchain bloat problem, which will only be compounded if they are ever introduced to mobile platforms.  Technologies like ring signatures and zero-knowledge proofs fall into this category and currently lack a way of avoiding this major setback.  XCurrency is able to use standard transactions, but multi-path then achieves an extremely high level of privacy combined with a high degree of prunability.  This allows XC to avoid blockchain bloat, even with full mobile integration.

decentralized

Because every XC App can function as an XC Node, this allows XC to avoid what Bitcoin core developer Gregory Maxwell has recently called a security “chokepoint” in some other coins’ use of semi-centralized nodes to forward transactions.  Unlike most other anonymous strategies, XC avoids the need to hold a very large amount of coins in order for an XC Node to function.  This is made possible due to the small, random transaction sizes of XC’s multi-path architecture.  The smaller capital requirement to run an XC Node benefits the XC network by allowing more XC Nodes to exist, increasing the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the anonymous network.

network security

XC uses multi-sig and end-to-end message encryption. This solution improves upon the more common practice of simply forwarding transactions, which can be problematic because malicious actors can steal transactions instead of forwarding them.  Another issue resolved by the XC approach is XC Nodes cannot snoop on the broadcasting system and publish the identities of senders and receivers.  This further adds to XC's security.

not just for payments

From the onset, XC was designed to take advantage of Blockchain 2.0 architecture. This makes implementations such as secure messaging, secure chatting, and decentralized cloud storage possible. XC’s comprehensive approach to incorporating current and trending technologies provides a stable platform on which to implement exciting new ideas and features in the future. The XC community has already seen evidence of this forward planning in the efficiency with which changes can be made.

XC was built for the future. While it successfully implements the imperative state of the art technologies that are expected of a cryptocurrency today, the foundation has been laid for even bigger things to come.

Near future (Coming months all of this will be implemented Most probably by the end of the year, Brace yourselves.)

XC Mobile

Currently in progress is the fully featured XC mobile wallet/app.  This app for smartphones will be made available for both iOS and Android operating systems.  Users will be able to earn interest on the go, made possible thanks to XC’s adaptive design.  XC is also working on the technology to allow the purchase of XCurrency directly through the mobile app – this will add ease-of-use for those with less tech knowledge, and will make reloading with XCurrency easier than ever.

Decentralized Cloud Storage

The incorporation of Blockchain 2.0 architecture into the XC framework allows for a broad range of future developments.  One area being looked into by the XC team is the use of the XC blockchain for decentralized cloud storage.  This storage could be utilized by individuals, businesses, or even political campaigns.  The ability to safely store and transfer important documents, without fear of disclosure to third parties, is something that a diverse group of people could benefit from.  XC is taking steps to make this feature a reality.

Payment Networks

As the XCurrency base is further developed, adding XCurrency to an existing payment network, such as the Visa network, will be a number one priority.  Imagine XC being as easy to use as a credit card, but without the need for the actual card, since XC will be fully functional on any mobile device.  This integration into any one of the larger payment networks will allow XC to be utilized at millions of point of sale locations across the globe.  It will also open the door for utilization with ATM’s, otherwise known as cash machines in some countries.  Combined with the ability to reload your mobile app with XCurrency at the click of a button, this will be the premier step toward bringing XC before the masses as a usable, functional, flexible, and robust currency alternative.

NFC Payments

A project that’s been in the works for years, near field communication (NFC) payment technology is starting to gain mass adoption and acceptance as a simpler, faster, and more secure way to make payments at point of sale locations.  With the development of XC’s mobile app, the timing for such an acceptance of NFC technology by the general population couldn’t have been better.  Some of the key benefits associated with utilization of NFC technology in conjunction with XC:

Blockchain 2.0 Apps

XCurrency is built on Blockchain 2.0, a flexible digital platform which allows easy integration for current and future XC applications.  A few examples of upcoming applications would include the use of the XC App for encrypted messaging and chat, and the use of the XC blockchain for decentralized cloud storage.  These are just the start; the potential to build upon the XC platform is limitless.  With the Blockchain 2.0 architecture already in place, the blockchain for XCurrency is like a foundation awaiting the actual building to be erected.  Stay tuned to see what the XCurrency team has planned, and as always, if you have a great idea that you would like to see implemented, by all means contact us and we’ll take a more detailed look.

Web 3.0 Development

Web 3.0 represents the evolution of the World Wide Web.  Poised to make the internet fully and provably secure against identity theft, fraud, and spying,  Web 3.0 is a fundamental change in the architecture of the Internet. XCurrency’s platform approach incorporates Web 3.0 concepts, like decentralization and appropriately secure protocols for various types of information. As XC’s Blockchain 2.0 applications grow in number, XC will increasingly become a fundamental building block of Web 3.0.

Proof of Blockchain

Proof of Blockchain (PoBC) is such new technology, that very few understand it.  Invented by Jasinlee, one of XC’s developers, PoBC will essentially allow blockchains to talk to each other.  At this point, PoBC is a revolutionary concept that, if successfully implemented, will become an incredibly powerful facet of the XCurrency project, further increasing privacy and reducing blockchain size.  PoBC is not going to be implemented in the immediate future due to the enormous amount of work required to code and implement it, (and there are more immediate goals, as outlined in the XC roadmap), but keep an eye out for announcements regarding PoBC, and the positive impacts that PoBC may have on XC’s future.

Learn about XC's free encrypted Messaging (soon to have free encrypted video and voice call)
http://xc-official.com/xc-news/

Lead developer
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-metcalf/12/1a8/b82

TIMELINE
*2014-5-08 XC launches
*2014-5-26 Rev. 1.0 End to end encryption
*2014-5-26 Trusted mixer
*2014-6-16 Rev. 1.5 Early multipath 
*2014-6-16 XC team reveals their identities
*2014-6-24 XC TOR Stick test release
*2014-7-7  XC official website launch
*2014-7-7  XC social media platforms launch
*2014-7-7 Rev 2.0
*2014-7-7 Full multipath
*2014-7-7 Trustless mixing
*2014-7-8 New XC team members introduced
*2014-7-9 XChat app test release
*2014-7-21 Rev 1 mixer code open source release
*2014-8-4 XChat and private payments merge
*2014-8-7 XC TOR Stick
*2014-8-7 XChat release
 COMING SOON
[Undisclosed Rev 2 privacy feature]
*Rev 2.5 XChat, New UI preview
*Rev 3.0 [Undisclosed tech update]
*XC app UI
*Official public launch
*XC TOR Stick ships to buyers
*Public bounty to provably break privacy
*XChat mobile
*XC mobile staking wallets
*XC ATMs
*XChat voice calling
*Point of sale integration
*XChat video calling
*Proof of Blockchain
*Decentralised cloud storage
*Decentralised exchange
*Interchains
AND MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!!
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:56:40 PM

And yet 90% of this forum threads are about alt-coins... It looks like a full time job to follow everything that happens around alt-coins...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: