Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:37:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opportunity costs of used vs new video cards?  (Read 1418 times)
stickman (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

With all the buzz lately over the increase in difficulty and people expanding their mining setups, everyone seems to be recommending still that everyone buy USED video cards on ebay for cheap rather than buying NEW cards.  My question for everyone is do you really think this is the best idea?  Right now at 2.5GH/s I'm pulling in around 20-25 BTC a day on deepbit, and given the current exchange rate of BTC to USD, I'm starting to doubt the need to buy used video cards.  Buying cards on ebay means waiting and often losing, and that's time I could be mining.  Also, if I buy a used card towards the end of its warranty of past it that fails, I may just be out of that cost rather than having the ability to RMA the card.

Anyways, thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:28:07 PM

With all the buzz lately over the increase in difficulty and people expanding their mining setups, everyone seems to be recommending still that everyone buy USED video cards on ebay for cheap rather than buying NEW cards.  My question for everyone is do you really think this is the best idea?  Right now at 2.5GH/s I'm pulling in around 20-25 BTC a day on deepbit, and given the current exchange rate of BTC to USD, I'm starting to doubt the need to buy used video cards.  Buying cards on ebay means waiting and often losing, and that's time I could be mining.  Also, if I buy a used card towards the end of its warranty of past it that fails, I may just be out of that cost rather than having the ability to RMA the card.

Anyways, thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks

well neweggs out of 5850's so... But if you can find a card your looking for new at a good price then pull the trigger man.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:46:56 PM

Are people really thinking about starting a new mining build after looking straight at a 50% difficulty increase from now on? Then I guess we are one more forum guide away to make it a 100% jump each time. You might as well wait a little more because when everyone is selling, it will be so much cheaper to buy.
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 03:45:42 AM

You might as well wait a little more because when everyone is selling, it will be so much cheaper to buy.

Then diff will drop!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: