Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:18:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Split] Bitcoin 2.0?  (Read 389 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3868

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:38:15 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 10:55:04 PM by BadBear

Regarding the future of bitcoin...

Does anybody here think that some bitcoin 2.0 will replace bitcoin as the most prominent crypto?
The analogy would be Yahoo vs Google for search and then the position to be a #1 Internet powerhouse.
In 2000 Google was just a single page with a search line (although working great even then) while Yahoo was a $150-200 bil behemoth.
Comes Monero (XMR)...
What would be the chance that Monero replaces BTC eventually as the best coin? 1%, 10%, 70%?
The wallet/account that Monero dev showed yesterday looked awesome.
Disclosure: I started buying XMR, but not sure what % to allocate to it vs BTC
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 05:00:57 PM

Does anybody here think that some bitcoin 2.0 will replace bitcoin as the most prominent crypto?
The analogy would be Yahoo vs Google for search and then the position to be a #1 Internet powerhouse.
In 2000 Google was just a single page with a search line (although working great even then) while Yahoo was a $150-200 bil behemoth.
Comes Monero (XMR)...
What would be the chance that Monero replaces BTC eventually as the best coin? 1%, 10%, 70%?

you think shitcoin V0.0.1.SHITCOIN is going to repalce bitcoin?

no

NEW SHINNY SHITCOIN of 2015 is what you wana buy

or ltc for fun.

Wink

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:14:34 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

why would I buy LTC when it is almost EXACTLY the same as BTC?
Also, don't be so defensive. I have to say that I used BTC for about a year already and there has been NO significant improvements it anything as far as ease of use, security, etc, except endless talk about regulation plus hedge funds involvement (phew!). There are a bunch of proposals that in most cases don't get implemented plus some esoteric things like Etherium and side chains (that went nowhere so far).
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10218

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:16:04 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

Also, don't be so defensive. I have to say that I used BTC for about a year already and there has been NO significant improvements it anything as far as ease of use, security, etc, except endless talk about regulation plus hedge funds involvement (phew!). There are a bunch of proposals that in most cases don't get implemented plus some esoteric things like Etherium and side chains (that went nowhere so far).

WOW!!!!   If the above bolded part is true, then that is NOT good for BTC to have a year without improvement(s) in the realm of ease of use, security, etc... ... Although we may need to flesh out what "etc." is?  number of bitcoin applications?  public awareness of BTC?  liquidity options?  purchase options? ability to avoid fees options?  ease of setting up BTC accounts?   fears about legality of BTC? the press's treatment of BTC? 

I want improvements in the BTC space too.. especially ease of use and security and some of the "etc.," as well.. whatever "etc." is?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 09:48:09 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

WOW!!!!   If the above bolded part is true, then that is NOT good for BTC to have a year without improvement(s) in the realm of ease of use, security, etc... ... Although we may need to flesh out what "etc." is?  number of bitcoin applications?  public awareness of BTC?  liquidity options?  purchase options? ability to avoid fees options?  ease of setting up BTC accounts?   fears about legality of BTC? the press's treatment of BTC? 

I want improvements in the BTC space too.. especially ease of use and security and some of the "etc.," as well.. whatever "etc." is?

ease of use and security? uhrm, trezor?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:35:36 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

so, as far as ease of use, trezor is the only thing that happened in BTC space? wow.
in my opinion, get rich quick hedge funds got on it BEFORE the underlying technology for mass use was created.
A recipe for disaster, in my opinion.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:28:14 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

so, as far as ease of use, trezor is the only thing that happened in BTC space? wow.
in my opinion, get rich quick hedge funds got on it BEFORE the underlying technology for mass use was created.

You are being wishy washy, Biodom.  You are the one who made the assertion that nothing has been done in the past year regarding ease of use, security, etc.... .. Then an example was provided to show that you are wrong... you agree with the example, and then assume that was the only thing that was done... rather the burden should be on you to be persuasive.. rather than following up by merely asking a trolling-like question.  In essence, you are attempting to side-step the issue and to detract, when you have been shown to be an exaggerator.   Roll Eyes

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:38:56 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

WOW!!!!   If the above bolded part is true, then that is NOT good for BTC to have a year without improvement(s) in the realm of ease of use, security, etc... ... Although we may need to flesh out what "etc." is?  number of bitcoin applications?  public awareness of BTC?  liquidity options?  purchase options? ability to avoid fees options?  ease of setting up BTC accounts?   fears about legality of BTC? the press's treatment of BTC?  

You are being wishy washy, Biodom.  You are the one who made the assertion that nothing has been done in the past year regarding ease of use, security, etc.... .. Then an example was provided to show that you are wrong... you agree with the example, and then assume that was the only thing that was done... rather the burden should be on you to be persuasive.. rather than following up by merely asking a trolling-like question.  In essence, you are attempting to side-step the issue and to detract, when you have been shown to be an exaggerator.   Roll Eyes

if trezor is the type of progress BTC made in a whole year, I would need to diversify more OUT of BTC (currently 98.5% in BTC).
trezor looks neat, but means nothing for the mass market. It costs $119 and how often you use dongles (never) or misplace flash drives (often).
Sorry to offend, but don't be so thin skinned, i care for BTC   Smiley
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:55:24 PM

Comes Monero (XMR)...

no

or ltc for fun.

Wink

WOW!!!!   If the above bolded part is true, then that is NOT good for BTC to have a year without improvement(s) in the realm of ease of use, security, etc... ... Although we may need to flesh out what "etc." is?  number of bitcoin applications?  public awareness of BTC?  liquidity options?  purchase options? ability to avoid fees options?  ease of setting up BTC accounts?   fears about legality of BTC? the press's treatment of BTC?  

You are being wishy washy, Biodom.  You are the one who made the assertion that nothing has been done in the past year regarding ease of use, security, etc.... .. Then an example was provided to show that you are wrong... you agree with the example, and then assume that was the only thing that was done... rather the burden should be on you to be persuasive.. rather than following up by merely asking a trolling-like question.  In essence, you are attempting to side-step the issue and to detract, when you have been shown to be an exaggerator.   Roll Eyes

if trezor is the type of progress BTC made in a whole year, I would need to diversify more OUT of BTC (currently 98.5% in BTC).

First point:  I doubt that Trezor is the ONLY good thing to happen to BTC in a year... you seem to be relying too much on a narrow set of facts.

Second point:  O.k.  Good luck with your diversification plan.  No one is here to convince you, so go ahead and diversify to your comfort level.  

If you are talking about your diversification in crypto-currencies, then you are going to need decide between the various crypto-currencies - yet I do NOT see any crypto-currency being more long-term stable (less downward volatile) that BTC, and more than 90% allocated into BTC (as compared with other crypto currencies) would NOT necessarily be a bad choice.

On the other hand, if you are talking about 98.5% of your total investment portfolio being in BTC, then that is another story.

Personally, I have more than 95% of my crypto-currencies investment in BTC; however, I have less than 10% of my total investment portfolio in crypto currencies.

The level of diversification is going to vary from person to person based on age, risk aversion, size of investment portfolio, kind of assets already contained in investment portfolio, expected lifestyle (standard of living), when s/he began investing in BTC (meaning whether s/he has already experienced BTC appreciation), and other factors.  You would need to calculate these various factors for yourself when deciding whether and/or how much to diversify away from BTC.

EDIT:  If you are referring to me as "thin skinned," then you must be taking my comments wrong... All I am doing is asking you questions and suggesting that you have various burdens of proof and/or persuasion when you make certain statements that to me seem a bit exaggerated to say the least... and maybe even tending towards trollish.

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:23:21 AM

If you are talking about your diversification in crypto-currencies, then you are going to need decide between the various crypto-currencies - yet I do NOT see any crypto-currency being more long-term stable (less downward volatile) that BTC, and more than 90% allocated into BTC (as compared with other crypto currencies) would NOT necessarily be a bad choice.

On the other hand, if you are talking about 98.5% of your total investment portfolio being in BTC, then that is another story.

Personally, I have more than 95% of my crypto-currencies investment in BTC; however, I have less than 10% of my total investment portfolio in crypto currencies.

The level of diversification is going to vary from person to person based on age, risk aversion, size of investment portfolio, kind of assets already contained in investment portfolio, expected lifestyle (standard of living), when s/he began investing in BTC (meaning whether s/he has already experienced BTC appreciation), and other factors.  You would need to calculate these various factors for yourself when deciding whether and/or how much to diversify away from BTC.

98.5% of crypto investments in BTC; that much of EVERYTHING would be crazy.
Crypto total probably about 10% without counting RE equity, but rising steadily. Will probably stop at 15-20% or so and re-evaluate.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:32:41 AM

Crypto total probably about 10% without counting RE equity, but rising steadily. Will probably stop at 15-20% or so and re-evaluate.

Well, that makes sense.... and sometimes I like to consider my total investments in terms of what I consider to be liquid or quasi-liquid assets... even though sometimes, from time to time, it may be useful to consider, also net wealth or total assets, even if they are less liquid.

So, it will be interesting if you figure that there is a better semi long term crypto than BTC... certainly NOT LTC.. yet there are a few with potential.. even though all of the others seem to share the same insecurity of being small, also of being untested and therefore lacking some kind of track record... so accordingly, may need to be considered in almost a separate category - as compared with BTC.

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:39:06 AM

Well, that makes sense.... and sometimes I like to consider my total investments in terms of what I consider to be liquid or quasi-liquid assets... even though sometimes, from time to time, it may be useful to consider, also net wealth or total assets, even if they are less liquid.

a side note: in TX they make it difficult to access the home equity, so I just don't count on it at all because I don't plan to move soon. Maybe my kids will get it eventually.
In Cali it is probably not possible because 50-70% of people's wealth is in their home.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: