Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:18:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoinica instruction thread?  (Read 2235 times)
arepo (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:24:47 PM

can anyone walk me through how to use the bitcoinica interface to, say sell short? i know very little about margin calls, leverage, et cetera. i already have a position and am a little anxious because i don't really know what all the values signify. help would be much appreciated  Smiley

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:54:45 PM

If you're just learning how to use bitcoinica, my advice is either not to use leverage at all or use leverage, but only place very tiny (0.01BTC or whatever) orders until you understand what you're doing.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:29:36 PM

thanks for the replies! question -- why is my unrealized p/l just the difference between my base price and the current price times the size of my position? with 2.5x leveraging, shouldnt my profits/losses be multiplied by that much?

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:42:19 PM

If you're just learning how to use bitcoinica, my advice is either not to use leverage at all or use leverage, but only place very tiny (0.01BTC or whatever) orders until you understand what you're doing.

Minimum order is 1BTC AFAIK.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 06:24:00 PM

Here is how you use Bitcoinica.

You put a huge margin and a lot of money into which way you think (and as it should) the market is headed.

A lot of small trades by regular Bitcoin traders moves you into that direction and you come close to the break even mark waiting to start making money.

Then, as Bitcoinica sees a bunch of people all margined out in one direction, Bitcoinica buys or sells a buttload of BTC on MtGox and the price either spirals down or skyrockets to a new price which you can not maintain because of the huge spread and margin.

You lose your Bitcoin.

Bitcoinica profits.

The price eventually makes its way back to where it should have been because the market intervenes.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 07:45:22 PM

You put a huge margin and a lot of money into which way you think (and as it should) the market is headed.

A lot of small trades by regular Bitcoin traders moves you into that direction and you come close to the break even mark waiting to start making money.

Then, as Bitcoinica sees a bunch of people all margined out in one direction, Bitcoinica buys or sells a buttload of BTC on MtGox and the price either spirals down or skyrockets to a new price which you can not maintain because of the huge spread and margin.

You lose your Bitcoin.

Bitcoinica profits.

The price eventually makes its way back to where it should have been because the market intervenes.

Also you can use bitcoinica like this:

1.  Log in to your bitcoinica account.
2.  Drive to your bank.
3.  Withdraw some money.
4.  Burn it.
5.  Drive home.
6.  Log off bitcoinica.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:19:56 PM

You lose your Bitcoin.

Bitcoinica profits.

2.  Drive to your bank.
3.  Withdraw some money.
4.  Burn it.
5.  Drive home.
6.  Log off bitcoinica.

Yes, I also found out its much easier to set cash ablaze in back yard.. 
Log off bitcoinica...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:49:28 PM

thanks for the replies! question -- why is my unrealized p/l just the difference between my base price and the current price times the size of my position? with 2.5x leveraging, shouldnt my profits/losses be multiplied by that much?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56797.0 there u can get info

that was a great read for risk management but i still don't understand the point of leverage if my p/l is solely calculated by the size of my actual position. is leveraging just to inflate my "tradable balance"?

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:52:27 PM

that was a great read for risk management but i still don't understand the point of leverage if my p/l is solely calculated by the size of my actual position. is leveraging just to inflate my "tradable balance"?
Yes.
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 09:00:01 PM

ah i see. i covered my position with USD to avoid the mathematical complexity of doing so with bitcoin, but shorting with a large tradable balance in USD affords me little opportunity to profit from the leverage. i caught the drop though, and profited a small amount, so all in all a pretty good first run with bitcoinica.

mysteriousawake

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 05:39:34 AM

2.  Drive to your bank.
3.  Withdraw some money.
4.  Burn it.
5.  Drive home.
6.  Log off bitcoinica.
[/quote]

I guess you get double banged cuz gas aint cheap either.. lol

DONT FORGET TO DONATE IF I HELPED YOU
arabianights

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 01:17:08 AM

The only reason people are losing shitloads on bitcoinia is cause they're idiots.

There are both enormous transaction fees and forced price taking. This means there is a huge cost in both putting on and taking off positions, and consequently the only suitable usage of bitcoinia is for longer term trades.

But people are trying to trade intraday using it!

Then they wonder why they blow up.

Blaming zhou tong for ones stupidity is sour grapes tbh.

There is only one reason to use bitcoinia, and it is for the leverage. I have a small position there for that reason, and no other one. And even that is roughtly 2x leverage. Nothing else would work with the volatlity and spreads.
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 11:30:42 PM

There is a house in Singapore,
They call it Bitcoinica.
Its been the ruin of many a poor boy,
And God I know I'm one.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 05:40:37 PM

2.  Drive to your bank.
3.  Withdraw some money.
4.  Burn it.
5.  Drive home.
6.  Log off bitcoinica.

Wait!!! I did step 5 and 6 before burning my money!

Does this mean I win?
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 06:37:25 PM

Does this mean I win?
Could be ... but it definitely states your lousy in sticking to a simple recipe!  Grin

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 08:55:17 AM

so im trying to liquidate my position, and it was active for 15 minutes without a single 50 BTC increment executing. there is no star on buy or sell... should his be happening? isn't some level of liquidity guaranteed? what actually happens when bitcoinica buys/sells btc for you? it isn't matched at mtgox, so say i placed a limit order -- how much slippage is there going to be? if i sell a few thousand btc with a market order will it affect the mtgox price? and how is the price at which it will execute calculated?

guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2012, 06:51:23 PM

so im trying to liquidate my position, and it was active for 15 minutes without a single 50 BTC increment executing. there is no star on buy or sell... should his be happening? isn't some level of liquidity guaranteed? what actually happens when bitcoinica buys/sells btc for you? it isn't matched at mtgox, so say i placed a limit order -- how much slippage is there going to be? if i sell a few thousand btc with a market order will it affect the mtgox price? and how is the price at which it will execute calculated?

I don't see much slippage in bitcoinica's favor on limits. I only see occasional slippage on larger market orders.
IIRC, zhoutong has said that they guarantee 50BTC liquidity on Market orders - since I saw him say that I've been just using market orders for 50BTC at a crack, and the majority of the time, slippage is in my favor. YMMV

Market orders I make for 50BTC tend to execute in 5 seconds or less, but I have seen up to 30 seconds. I haven't seen this change my slippage - the only time the order has been executed well off the expected price was due to serious volatility dropping the price before I actually posted the click on the sell order.

Market orders should be right at, or right outside the spread. In the limit book, I've seen some several K buy orders just above the ask. These are filled too slowly to severely impact the mtgox price.

arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 03:09:59 AM

Yes.

so then how do you leverage a short? if my position is covered only by the funds i invest, and not by my tradeable balance, then i only see how one would leverage a long position.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: