Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 01:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who Should Be the First Woman On a Modern Dollar Bill?
Eleanor Roosevelt - 0 (0%)
Ayn Rand - 4 (30.8%)
Harriet Tubman - 0 (0%)
Beyoncé - 4 (30.8%)
Amelia Earhart - 1 (7.7%)
Abigail Adams - 2 (15.4%)
Sally Ride - 0 (0%)
Harriet Beecher Stowe - 0 (0%)
Other - 2 (15.4%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Who Should Be the First Woman On a Modern Dollar Bill?  (Read 1233 times)
Rigon (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:47:19 AM

Is it time to put a woman on our paper currency? President Obama went on record today saying it’s a “pretty good idea.” During a speech in Kansas City, Obama said he received a letter from a young girl asking why there aren’t any women on American paper money. (Dollar coins with Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea are still in circulation, but they are no longer being minted, and Martha Washington appeared on a paper note in the 19th century.)
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:03:51 AM

Why? None of these women have done anything as noteworthy as the people currently on US currency. Also, there is no reason to remove any presidents or figures from the current currency. Things are fine how they are.

REDoctober

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:17:06 AM

This is my vote:

https://i.imgur.com/kX842j7.jpg

Growing up, seeing this face meant pancakes.

And that was happiness.
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:29:18 AM

I like the idea of Eleanor Roosevelt and Abigail Adams. Perhaps someone like Margaret Fuller or Mary Harris Jones too.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:53:22 AM

I nominate Eva Braun.
Rigon (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:08:55 PM

Gender is a social construct created by patria-capitalist society to perpetuate oppression and disenfranchisement... oh, and by millions of years of evolution.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:12:33 PM

Also, Maya Angelou should be in this poll. A remarkable woman, but people like Stowe or even Soujurner Truth would likely deserve more of a spot than her.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 12:13:06 PM

Pam Grier gets my vote:

Rigon (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:25:45 PM

Also, Maya Angelou should be in this poll. A remarkable woman, but people like Stowe or even Soujurner Truth would likely deserve more of a spot than her.
exactly.

angelou wrote a lot of neat stuff......Stowe (anecdotally) started the civil war, and Truth risked her life to save others.

i'm not going to minimize angelou's work, but i have no problem raising the work of other women over hers.
tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:27:16 PM

I voted Beyonce. I think Jay Z should be on one as well just to get the conspiracy nutters going.

This is my vote:

Growing up, seeing this face meant pancakes.

And that was happiness.

lol. That's a good a reason as any.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:32:03 PM

Pam Grier gets my vote:

This would be awesome on a modern dollar bill, something else than a dull painting like picture.

Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:38:49 PM

The Dollar? A currency that won't exist anymore in 20 years max?

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:45:02 PM

Gender should not be considered as one of the criteria for entering the Dollar bill. That is, no one should be put on a USD bill just because they happen to be a female. That said, my choice is Pocahontas (1595 – 1617).

tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:45:40 PM

The Dollar? A currency that won't exist anymore in 20 years max?

Wishful thinking there I think, though who knows what could happen. I think some form of digital money will become the norm eventually.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:30:44 PM

Is it time to put a woman on our paper currency? President Obama went on record today saying it’s a “pretty good idea.” During a speech in Kansas City, Obama said he received a letter from a young girl asking why there aren’t any women on American paper money. (Dollar coins with Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea are still in circulation, but they are no longer being minted, and Martha Washington appeared on a paper note in the 19th century.)

Condoleezza Rice

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:40:51 PM

If it is a civil rights person how about Claudette Colvin? Rosa Parks gets all the credit for the bus story but Claudette was the first to actually do it. 

umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:18:54 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ts_on_currency

Why in the world would Ayn Rand deserve to be put on any U.S. Currency? She was born and educated in Russia!

What woman has done as much as any of the Founders of the U.S.? Have we exhausted all those illustrious signers of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution?

If Betsy Ross hasn't been considered, why in the world would Beyonce be considered? (I know that that that was bait for the illiterate and ignorant.)

Harriet Beecher Stowe - she wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin and changed the Nation. Is that enough, though? It may pander to the African American, but why stop there? Sally Ride, may she rest in Peace, was "just" an astronaut. Why should other astronauts be passed over?, John Glenn, Ed White, Neil Armstrong, etc. & et. al.

The question shouldn't be "What woman should be put on the Dollar Bill," it should be "Why should a woman be put on a Dollar bill?" "Because it's the right thing to do" is not good enough - might as well put women on 50% of all U.S. currency since they now have equal rights - which means that 50% of the currency should carry women personages.

Here's a clue: What was George Washington's wife name? What was her maiden name?

I know, I know, you know more about Beyonce than you do the Fist Lady of the United States!

So much more the pity!

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

I think we should allow any US Citizen willing to pay 1 billion or more dollars to have their likeness printed on our currency, at least for a limited run. Hell of an ego boost to be able to legally buy shit with money that has your own face on it.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:33:55 PM

Since we're on the subject, I would proffer that Abigail Adams would be the first choice considering she was an original lady from the founding fathers' time. Furthermore, her letters between her and her husband are focal points in American literature classes in most colleges. If you read them and appreciate the era and what they were going through to create a new country it is quite revolutionary and meaningful thus deserving of her portrait on US currency if it actually was honest money instead of debt money. In which case, I have no problem w/ Moochelle Obama being on the next piece of currency.

Just a short recap of AA's bio:
Adams's life is one of the most documented of the first ladies: she is remembered for the many letters she wrote to her husband while he stayed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during the Continental Congresses. John frequently sought the advice of Abigail on many matters, and their letters are filled with intellectual discussions on government and politics. The letters serve as eyewitness accounts of the American Revolutionary War home front.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:53:23 PM

I think that Eleanor Roosevelt will be good choice.
She was not only ''first lady'' but also true political leader, respected by others.
She was the first women with the real influence in politic arena.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀