Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:46:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I use processing power to turn a light blub on?  (Read 832 times)
MakeBelieve (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 12:30:14 AM

I would loved to do this just for the fun even if I would have to link up multiple computers up to each other just to get the processing power enough to light it up. Is this possible or am I not understanding something?

If this is possible how would I go about doing this?

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:45:44 AM

I would loved to do this just for the fun even if I would have to link up multiple computers up to each other just to get the processing power enough to light it up. Is this possible or am I not understanding something?

It is a pointless venture. Processing power is a very general term. A processor can burn as much electricity as a bulb however what comes out is a bunch of data that is getting manipulated and moved around billions of times a second with many simple operations.

So you try to suck energy out of those wires, eventually with enough wires you may get some energy in a usable form, however what you have is not processing power being turned into electricity.

The true way that processing power can be turned into electricity is profitable mining through hardware (difficult), selling coins for fiat or electricity, buying electricity and using it.

Also, using complicated calculations to run a model for nuclear fusion, figuring it all out, generating electricity. It could then be argued that the electricity was generated thanks to the computer power behind the models, at least in part.

I'm sure my perspective is very general so I may be missing something. I'm no expert.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:54:45 AM

You need electricty charge to do that, heat can't turn on a buld.

Unless you make some kind of thermal power plant using the heat of the processors, but it would be biggst waste of resources I can think
Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:35:05 AM

Answer is no, need electricity...
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 07:04:59 AM

Answer is no, need electricity...

But you can get electricity if you have heat. That is what thermal power plants do.

devonne

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 12:06:03 PM

You know electricity and heat works together.
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 12:11:37 PM

Ummm How to you want to do this? Do you want to put a lightbulb on top of a computer? Do you intend to connect it to one with some wires?? I just don't get how you intend to do that. Please indulge us in understanding what you're up to!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Kipsy89

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Relax!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 12:58:43 PM

Hahah, what an interesting question? But you would need to connect the light bulb to the computers, wouldn't you? I mean this can't work without any wires or anything. Is there such a thing as wireless electricity?

catlinhappy

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:58:29 PM

My answer is no because is very impossible.

MakeBelieve (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

I wasn't really concerned if it was efficient or not I wanted to do it just for the fun and to show some of my friends I thought by utilizing the heat I could be able to turn that into electricity and probably would of used a LED light but I wasn't quite show it was possible and it sounds like after some research that it would be difficult and probably to much work for the end result.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
montello

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:48:11 PM

I'm not an electrical engineer or expert on what you're suggesting so sorry no can't help.

some1

Activity: 364

667 one more than the devil

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:26:10 PM

Yes, it is possible but very very uneconomic.

Computing power is not a form of energy, is a way to consume electric power transforming it in heat (which is a disordered form of energy).

A bulb is just another machine that transforms ordered energy (electric power) in disordered energy (light and heat). Not so different from your CPU.

You can get ordered energy back from disordered energy (with a thermal power plant) but only wasting most of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Decksperiment

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 02:04:27 PM

Simple, make a usb connection to a 12 to 240 volt (I'm in scotland, check your volts) inverter, add light to 240 output.. simple.
MakeBelieve (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 02:20:52 PM

Computing power is not a form of energy, is a way to consume electric power transforming it in heat (which is a disordered form of energy).

A bulb is just another machine that transforms ordered energy (electric power) in disordered energy (light and heat). Not so different from your CPU.

You can get ordered energy back from disordered energy (with a thermal power plant) but only wasting most of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

I know that it's not efficent I'm not looking to be powering it for a long time but just to know that it can be done and I think it would be a cool thing to do.

Decksperiment

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 02:55:53 PM

I know that it's not efficent I'm not looking to be powering it for a long time but just to know that it can be done and I think it would be a cool thing to do.

One way or another you will require the inverter.. and the shortest route to take without blowing anything is usb..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: