Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:39:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sorry guys (and gals)!  (Read 10850 times)
andy_3_913 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 08:17:27 PM

4 weeks of cpu time running at max. and it DID make a difference!!!!
cpu was at 100% all the time!

nothing to show for it.
so,
have to say, goodbye to this.
Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 08:22:45 PM

That's exactly what i'm afraid of.
Now that you can't generate a block per day anymore, there's no reason for new users to stay for long, cuz they all just after getting "free" coins.

What's your hash-count?

NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2010, 08:27:09 PM

nothing to show for it.
so,
Cheesy
If you leave now, you'll be missing out on a great opportunity, which is not to spend electricity on bitcoins, but rather to receive payment from a community that is eager to spend money in exchange for your unique talent or skill set. Best of luck to ya!

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2010, 08:47:55 PM

I just want to say, I've been trying to conjure USD in my basement for years. It was hard work, it was time wasted.

I have generated no USD. So goodbye dollar  Smiley

Hello, BTC.

Money on Poker Stars available for bitcoins.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
andy_3_913 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 08:48:19 PM

i've been running about (average) 1300 for the last 3 weeks.

with enhancements. oli Smiley

i don't really mind, but my cpu usage is 100%, and it is affecting my electricity bill.
strangely lol Smiley
andy_3_913 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 08:52:15 PM

nothing to show for it.
so,
Cheesy
If you leave now, you'll be missing out on a great opportunity, which is not to spend electricity on bitcoins, but rather to receive payment from a community that is eager to spend money in exchange for your unique talent or skill set. Best of luck to ya!

i don't want to leave.
but, i just can;t afford to wait forever in the hope something might happen. ie, generate a block?
no, 4 weeks worth, is not worth it Smiley
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 08:53:40 PM

nothing to show for it.
so,
Cheesy

i don't want to leave.
but, i just can;t afford to wait forever in the hope something might happen. ie, generate a block?

There's absolutely no point in generating bitcoins if you don't have anything to buy. Beside, it's a lot easier to get bitcoins if you do something that people might want to buy.

NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2010, 08:54:14 PM

i don't really mind, but my cpu usage is 100%, and it is affecting my electricity bill.
strangely lol Smiley
So stop generating! But don't stop using bitcoins just because you can't generate them, silly. Let's try to think of something that you offer in exchange for bitcoins. What are you good at? What are your interests and hobbies? If it's not too personal, what do you do for a living? I bet we can think of something that will bring in bitcoins much more quickly and easily than generating them.

Edit: I have a fairly fast computer, but I have stopped generating for the most part because that's not the point of bitcoin anymore. I leave one core running just to help the network, but it's more of a donation than an investment to generate bitcoins. In short, we're all basically in the same boat. It's next to impossible for us to generate bitcoins.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
andy_3_913 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 09:15:20 PM

strangely lol Smiley
So stop generating! But don't stop using bitcoins just because you can't generate them, silly. Let's try to think of something that you offer in exchange for bitcoins. What are you good at? What are your interests and hobbies? If it's not too personal, what do you do for a living? I bet we can think of something that will bring in bitcoins much more quickly and easily than generating them.

Edit: I have a fairly fast computer, but I have stopped generating for the most part because that's not the point of bitcoin anymore. I leave one core running just to help the network, but it's more of a donation than an investment to generate bitcoins. In short, we're all basically in the same boat. It's next to impossible for us to generate bitcoins.

yes, after 4 weeks 100%cpu time, i hoped i'd have something?
that's 4 weeks electricy that i wouldn't have used (maybe) normally!
i don't mind that.
but something to show might be nice Smiley
andy_3_913 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 09:16:40 PM

nothing to show for it.
so,
Cheesy

i don't want to leave.

There's absolutely no point in generating bitcoins if you don't have anything to buy. Beside, it's a lot easier to get bitcoins if you do something that people might want to buy.

yes.
but wasn't generating bitcoins!
andy_3_913 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2010, 09:19:33 PM

strangely lol Smiley

wow!
good questions!

before i answer, i'll ask you, how many bitcoins do you have?
Smiley
then i'll answer nearly anything you like lol

i'm a detail fitter/hand adjuster for Bombardier/Shorts
that's what i do!!
NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2010, 09:48:34 PM

before i answer, i'll ask you, how many bitcoins do you have?
Smiley
then i'll answer nearly anything you like lol

i'm a detail fitter/hand adjuster for Bombardier/Shorts
that's what i do!!
I'm a very early adopter and the first financial promoter of bitcoin as far as I can tell. I had a whole lot of bitcoins, but I sold the majority of them before the Slashdot article and subsiquent rise in the price of bitcoins. Cry I still have a lot, but not so many that someone who has a job couldn't buy more than I have.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your job, but I'm sure you could tailor Wink an offer targeted toward some demographic which would be interested in your services.

fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 12:33:03 AM

There is an even smaller chance of getting rich "generating" Bitcoins than there is of winning the lottery, which is pretty damn small. But I think this misses the point. Bitcoins can be a convenient, anonymous payment medium away from the evil clutches of the Federal Reserve and of *#@!! PayPal.

That's good enough for me!

Ground Loop

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 01:13:04 AM

To ask it another way -- if you *had* generated 50 BTC for your energy and efforts, what would you do with them?

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq
NewLibertyStandard

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2010, 01:16:20 AM

To ask it another way -- if you *had* generated 50 BTC for your energy and efforts, what would you do with them?
The Bitcoin Market only trades in ฿100 increments, so he couldn't sell them there. Undecided

silverman

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 03:04:21 AM

Buy Silver! Get a lawful U.S. Dime, and have a few Bitcoins left over.

http://pz64g5mpskogeox7.onion/~silver/
https://tor-proxy.net/proxy/tor/browse.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpz64g5mpskogeox7.onion%2F~silver%2F

/horn-toot

Anonymous

August 07, 2010, 04:54:06 AM

arbitrage bitcoins on the exchange  Smiley

nimnul

Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2010, 09:09:54 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2010, 09:28:34 AM by nimnul

]The Bitcoin Market only trades in ฿100 increments, so he couldn't sell them there. Undecided
Well, there are other exchanges. He could have sold them at MtGox.com, for example.
What's your hash-count?
How can I see it? I spent quite a lot of CPU time too without success. What is probability of not generating any bitcoins after spending 3 weeks at 10000khashes/sec? Bitcoin calculator http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php says that it's much less than 5%. So something is definitely wrong either with bitcoind, khps meter in bitcoind or with calculations in bitcoin calculator.

I'm not trying to earn money with bitcoin, but it's important to monitor that all users are equal in generating bitcoins. Otherwise those users who sign most blocks can attack. Remember that purpose of generating blocks are not generating coins but signing the transactions log.

Is there any way to get total number of hashes I have calculated? So for example if bitcoin program gets less CPU because of other programs, I would still have a correct number of hashes count.

I'm also thinking about organizing a reference bitcoin probability meter. I'm thinking about an automated system of submitting stats, so users who are willing to help testing bitcoin would send their counters to a central server. In that way we will be able to ensure that generation goes as expected and/or find mistakes in our calculations and provide a better estimate for all users.

I also wonder, how many blocks per hour are SOLVED? This number should be a little bit higher than the number of blocks ACCEPTED by network because of collisions. While I saw some estimates about collision rate here, as far as I know we never tried to measure actual collision rate and compare it to our estimate.

RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 01:01:48 PM

I also wonder, how many blocks per hour are SOLVED? This number should be a little bit higher than the number of blocks ACCEPTED by network because of collisions. While I saw some estimates about collision rate here, as far as I know we never tried to measure actual collision rate and compare it to our estimate.

The difficulty for generating new coins is adjusted to set up a situation where one new bitcoin (generated) block is created about every 10 minutes.... somewhere on the network.  That would average out to be about six per hour.

As far as the collision rate, I don't know what that number really is.  For me, I would rather see more coin blocks generated, but for fewer coins in each new coin block.  The question is in terms of how much "noise" this would create if there were new blocks generated every few seconds and how much network traffic would have to cope with this increased production of coin blocks.  In other words, if the difficulty were dropped to 10% of the current difficulty, but new blocks were only worth 5 BTC, it would still be roughly the same increase in new coins being generated but those coins would be distributed to more people.

The question is if this kind of change would adversely impact the network?

A side effect of having so many people on the network right now generating (and using) Bitcoins is that when you do "discover" a new coin block, the value of those BTC is higher.  This has been reflected in the various exchanges already.

BTW, I have yet to generate any bitcoins myself, and I've been using the software for close to a month.  Instead of worrying about how to "find" the bitcoins I'm trying to find ways to "earn" the coins instead.  Yes, I got a couple of ideas on that front too.
dwdollar

Activity: 202
Merit: 109

GCC - Global cryptocurrency

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2010, 01:09:53 PM

Keep in mind...  We are trying to create a new currency, not a personal money tree for everyone.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: