Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:56:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: today's price drop related to OKcoin futures?  (Read 2701 times)
BTCtrader71 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:18:24 AM

I wonder whether the price drop today (around $590 to $570 in the past few hours) could be related to the nascent OKcoin futures market. My thought process is that the availability of bitcoin futures has the same effect as increasing the supply of bitcoins. Or to think of it differently, it has the same effect as decreasing the demand of actual bitcoins: instead of buying a real bitcoin today, I might decide to buy bitcoin futures (however many units is equivalent to one bitcoin) instead.

If the volume of trading on the futures market shot up today, that would support my hypothesis, although I don't know whether OKcoin publishes that data. (Currently available settlement dates, btw, are 8/15, 8/22, and 8/29. I presume more will open up if all goes well during the initial beta testing period.)

(An alternate explanation for the price drop is that it is because of news reports that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau put out a warning on bitcoin today. The timing seems to fit. Although I don't know why this would have a big effect on price, except for the fact that it seems to have been picked up by about a million different news agencies.)

Thoughts?

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
falllling

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:40:18 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 02:51:06 AM by falllling

I wonder whether the price drop today (around $590 to $570 in the past few hours) could be related to the nascent OKcoin futures market. My thought process is that the availability of bitcoin futures has the same effect as increasing the supply of bitcoins. Or to think of it differently, it has the same effect as decreasing the demand of actual bitcoins: instead of buying a real bitcoin today, I might decide to buy bitcoin futures (however many units is equivalent to one bitcoin) instead.

If the volume of trading on the futures market shot up today, that would support my hypothesis, although I don't know whether OKcoin publishes that data. (Currently available settlement dates, btw, are 8/15, 8/22, and 8/29. I presume more will open up if all goes well during the initial beta testing period.)

(An alternate explanation for the price drop is that it is because of news reports that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau put out a warning on bitcoin today. The timing seems to fit. Although I don't know why this would have a big effect on price, except for the fact that it seems to have been picked up by about a million different news agencies.)

Thoughts?

i told you bitcoin is going to nowhere but down! a big crash incoming!
there is no raise, you can only see drops following drops and final capitulation crash
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:19:35 AM

well i dont think its related to okcoin futures, it seems like all the alts are dropping too, all the crypto ecosystem! litecoin is 0.009 xD
TrollinU

Activity: 152

https://eloncity.io/

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:35:07 AM

The OKCoin futures may have something to do with it.
All the "Good news" lately and the price barley budged. What would make any of you think this insignificant piece of not-so-bad bad news (CFPB) would cause this? Why do you guys scour the net in search of any piece of news that somehow correlates to any movement in price? I guess it just CAN"T be the technicals. I've been short and expecting this for days. Did I have some kind of insider info? mm, no! Was I lucky? Many of you will say that's exactly it. Then why is my luck so good while so many of you that are SURE that the moon is right around the corner have such bad luck? Could it be that I don't just guess at where the market is going? DingDingDing! We have a winner...

Get a fucking clue! News doesn't matter unless it is very significant. The fundamentals (except mining difficulty) haven't changed in months if not years. The only thing left is the technicals which is exactly what this was. Everything turned south over the last few days. There has been heavy selling on Bitstamp for the last month and buyers finally succumbed to the overwhelming pressure.

well i dont think its related to okcoin futures, it seems like all the alts are dropping too, all the crypto ecosystem! litecoin is 0.009 xD

The alts have been following Bitcoin lately. All but that VIA...

Leina

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:06:03 AM

Do they have tutorial on Future contract? What price is it trading on?

Can non-Chinese sign up Okcoin exchange?
nextblast

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:32:25 AM

Do they have tutorial on Future contract? What price is it trading on?

Can non-Chinese sign up Okcoin exchange?
yes, okcoin has a international site (okcoin.com) and domestic site (okcoin.cn)
kerafym

Activity: 224

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:36:24 AM

Price on bitcoin only drop a little when you compare to other alt coin.

Think the final nail on litecoin is finally here:

http://coinmarketcap.com/

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:41:58 AM

But futures are an indication that the market is maturing and that China is not in the rage against the Bitcoin mode.

That should make the price goes up, don't?
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:17:41 AM

But futures are an indication that the market is maturing and that China is not in the rage against the Bitcoin mode.

dell, newegg, tigerdirect, expedia, overstock, and the other myriad companies accepting bitcoin hasn't done much to push the price ahead.. so it's not necessarily true that maturing market = higher price.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:20:31 AM

Wow, look at some of them go.  Finally people are beginning to understand Dogecoin was a funny joke that eventually got old.  Much crash, such fall, very suffering. 
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:36:18 AM

------------------------------------------

Agree, think Stellar might in time eat Litecoin's breakfast, better concept and as of now better marketing and execution
Still early days though

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:37:26 AM

dell, newegg, tigerdirect, expedia, overstock, and the other myriad companies accepting bitcoin hasn't done much to push the price ahead.. so it's not necessarily true that maturing market = higher price.

The thing is, Overstock and tigerDirect started it. We had a decent recovery for a minute from that, but the next few to begin accepting BTC were just latecomers and the hype of retail shopping wore off. You could already do at TigerDirect what you can do at Newegg, so that wasn't much. Expedia doesn't offer the flights yet, so that's not huge... Yet!

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:48:46 AM

Aren't futures on the international platform? Not .cn? I think that's because -- similar to Huobi handling its leveraged market through Bitvc -- they want it separated from the mainland Chinese market. I think this is related.

BTCtrader71 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:51:19 AM

Perhaps it's one of those things that will make it go down in the near term (via my reasoning in the OP), but up in the long term (greater maturity = ultimately a good thing).

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
unpure

Activity: 169

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 07:21:26 AM

A lot of factors are involved.

The recent IPO of Ethereum, the free give away of Steller and the general meltdown of all alt coins. It only take 1 whale from alt coin to create a massive sell off.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 07:27:55 AM

A lot of factors are involved.

The recent IPO of Ethereum, the free give away of Steller and the general meltdown of all alt coins. It only take 1 whale from alt coin to create a massive sell off.

Have coins started moving out of that "exodus" address? I can't remember where I found that address.... I had been wondering if we might see some downward pressure when those coins started moving.

Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:26:39 AM

Thoughts?

there is no raise, you can only see drops following drops and final capitulation crash
Fallling, where is the technical analysis?
madken7777

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:29:11 AM

Thoughts?

He is just doing wild guess and happen to be right at this moment.
fonsie

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:29:39 AM

Thoughts?

Still in his ass.

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
falllling

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:01:05 AM

Still in his ass.

sell now as i told you to or lose everything at bitcoin final capitulation later
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: