Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:44:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my college dorm room be able to handle 3000W?  (Read 3580 times)
onlinemerchant (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:05:25 AM

Hi, I'm new here.  I was thinking of buying this miner:
http://gawminers.com/collections/all-miners/products/shipped-pre-order-september-6-th-s-spondoolies-tech-sp30-yukon-batch-1

and bringing it to college to use it.  I live in a single room in a building that was created in the last 5 years.  While I don't know much about electricity and the like, I am worried that the miner I was going to buy will draw too much electricity.  I wouldn't want to cause a short or something like that.  I do not want to damage the room's electrical circuits/wall outlets.  I guess my main question is whether I'd be able to plug my bitcoin miner into a wall outlet and begin using it or if I'd need to take special precautions?  Would I have to use both the plugs that are provided with the miner? Or could I just plug it into one outlet?  Also do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:08:51 AM

It most likely won't, i.e. it will trip the circuit breaker.

A typical outlet will be rated 10 amps, that would be about 1100W at 110V (US) or 2200W at 220V (Europe).
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:10:57 AM

Unlikely that your dorm would handle the juice. This is designed to be a rack moutned system which typically runs off a 3-phase 15Amp per phase set-up - for Australia. I think the same will apply for the US, it is a rack mounted item that will require a higher than  normal power supply and plug.

butwhat would I know, I am only an Electrical Engineer.   Grin

onlinemerchant (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:12:11 AM

A typical outlet will be rated 10 amps, that would be about 1100W at 110V (US) or 2200W at 220V (Europe).

What should I do to make this work?  Is it even possible?
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:27:21 AM

What should I do to make this work?  Is it even possible?

What is the voltage in your area, where do you live?

The only possibility that comes to my mind would be having 2 separate 220V circuits in your room, but it seems very unlikely to me.
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:30:06 AM

Not a good idea to put high load in your dorm room. The staff will notice and may take measure against you.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:33:25 AM

I wouldn't do it. There are reasons, why safety regulations exist for outlets Wink

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:50:00 AM

Hi, I'm new here.  I was thinking of buying this miner:
http://gawminers.com/collections/all-miners/products/shipped-pre-order-september-6-th-s-spondoolies-tech-sp30-yukon-batch-1

and bringing it to college to use it.  I live in a single room in a building that was created in the last 5 years.  While I don't know much about electricity and the like, I am worried that the miner I was going to buy will draw too much electricity.  I wouldn't want to cause a short or something like that.  I do not want to damage the room's electrical circuits/wall outlets.  I guess my main question is whether I'd be able to plug my bitcoin miner into a wall outlet and begin using it or if I'd need to take special precautions?  Would I have to use both the plugs that are provided with the miner? Or could I just plug it into one outlet?  Also do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Google says:
UK power outlet is rated at 240V and at 13A which works out to ~3120W
North America, a 120V receptacle is going to be on a 20A breaker; so ~2400W

Probably not, but maybe you could split the units draw between two outlets?

edit: Updated Information
Hfleer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:51:45 AM

Hi, I'm new here.  I was thinking of buying this miner:

and bringing it to college to use it.  I live in a single room in a building that was created in the last 5 years.  While I don't know much about electricity and the like, I am worried that the miner I was going to buy will draw too much electricity.  I wouldn't want to cause a short or something like that.  I do not want to damage the room's electrical circuits/wall outlets.  I guess my main question is whether I'd be able to plug my bitcoin miner into a wall outlet and begin using it or if I'd need to take special precautions?  Would I have to use both the plugs that are provided with the miner? Or could I just plug it into one outlet?  Also do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Google says:
UK power outlet is rated at 240V and at 13A which works out to ~3120W
North America, a 120V receptacle is going to be on a 20A breaker; so ~2400W

Probably not, but maybe you could split the units draw between two outlets?

edit: Updated Information

That won't help if they are on the same circuit. I doubt his room will have two of those.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
heybigboy1

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:53:15 AM

Sorry to break it but I don't think that would be a good idea man! You should probably ask them
MineForeman.com
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:53:45 AM

Also..

Do you know how loud and hot these things are?  You will be deaf and cooked within a week!

Neil

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:55:43 AM

3kw for a dorm room is too much, they were not built for these kind of things. And even if they can handle 3kw electricity draw, your second problem would be to deal with 3kw of heat dumped in your room. Really, this is a bad idea for a dorm. Be considerate of your roommates too.

PS - this belongs in the MINING section.

mrcashking

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:57:00 AM

depends on where you live. but in a dorm I would still say thats too much.
juju

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:01:56 AM

That won't help if they are on the same circuit. I doubt his room will have two of those.

True, and since its a single room the likely hood of that is very slim, if it was a 3 person room, perhaps.
Hfleer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:04:14 AM

True, and since its a single room the likely hood of that is very slim, if it was a 3 person room, perhaps.

Yes, but a 3 person room has 2 other persons inside it. Cheesy

Imagine your roommate mining 24/7 and your room has 90 db and 40c constantly.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
juju

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:11:49 AM

Yes, but a 3 person room has 2 other persons inside it. Cheesy

Imagine your roommate mining 24/7 and your room has 90 db and 40c constantly.

haha, I also thought about how terrible a single dorm room would be with a rig running 24/7.
onlinemerchant (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:15:03 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.  I guess I probably shouldn't buy it then.   Undecided   

Oh well, do any of you guys have some smaller good alternatives?  Since I have a single room the noise and heat won't be an issue.  I can turn down the A.C as far as I want.  What bitcoin mining rig/scrypt mining rig should I get that delivers a return on investment? Any ideas?
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:17:20 AM

Normal people put their ring in a separate room, with extra ventilation and I guess with electrical instalations suitable for the miners. 3000W is more or less the heat generted by 30 people, not counting the noise, so I guess your and your miner won't survive the first night.

If you want mine while in college room, I guess you should get some USB miners.
valvalis

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:18:31 AM

I think that's a bad idea
3KW is too damn high for college dorm

█▌▐█
▄██████▄▄
  ▀████████▄
     ▀███████
       ▀██████
         ▀█████
           ████
         ▄█████
       ▄█████
     ▄███████
  ▄████████▀
▀██████▀▀
  █▌▐█
..DeFiXy.......████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███   ██████████████   ███████   █████████   ██   █████   ██████████████████   ████
.$0.50.
███████   ██   █████████   ██   ███████████   ███████████   ███████████   █████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.......JOIN NOW..
onlinemerchant (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:22:38 AM

Since clearly the 3000W miner is no longer viable, does anyone know any smaller miners that still offer a pretty good return?  I don't want to use USB miners because they don't offer a good return.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: