Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:01:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my college dorm room be able to handle 3000W?  (Read 3589 times)
dogcoins

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:23:20 AM

I dont think you should do it health and safety etc especially in a college lol.
Gogreen

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:24:02 AM

3000w are you dreaming? It should be around half 1400w or lower. Do not take the risk of endangering other people life. There is a thing call Fire!

Bitcoin mining Antminer s7 4.7 TH Used in Good Condition Best Offer Prices @ ebay seller order directly here https://goo.gl/uaoh1r. Bitcoin payment optional.
onlinemerchant (OP)

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:29:18 AM

3000w are you dreaming? It should be around half 1400w or lower. Do not take the risk of endangering other people life. There is a thing call Fire!

So you are saying that a 1400w miner would be viable?
valvalis

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:36:50 AM

Since clearly the 3000W miner is no longer viable, does anyone know any smaller miners that still offer a pretty good return?  I don't want to use USB miners because they don't offer a good return.  Thanks!

Maybe yous should check zenminer site.
Some of my friend use zenminer to host their miner. But I dunno if it profitable or not because I haven't try it myself.

█▌▐█
▄██████▄▄
  ▀████████▄
     ▀███████
       ▀██████
         ▀█████
           ████
         ▄█████
       ▄█████
     ▄███████
  ▄████████▀
▀██████▀▀
  █▌▐█
..DeFiXy.......████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███   ██████████████   ███████   █████████   ██   █████   ██████████████████   ████
.$0.50.
███████   ██   █████████   ██   ███████████   ███████████   ███████████   █████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.......JOIN NOW..
teamlottowin

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 05:47:48 AM

I would buy a fish tank instead.  You clearly don't know what you are getting into

Buy Adidas with Crypto: https://shop.moolah.io/Buzz
onlinemerchant (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:52:36 AM

I would buy a fish tank instead.  You clearly don't know what you are getting into

While I don't entirely know what I'm getting into, I'm willing to learn.  I've always been interested in mining bitcoin so I might as well give it a try.  Your comments are not useful so please do not post on this thread.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:15:01 AM

While I don't entirely know what I'm getting into, I'm willing to learn.  I've always been interested in mining bitcoin so I might as well give it a try.  Your comments are not useful so please do not post on this thread.

I'm pretty sure newbies aren't allowed to tell full members what they can and can not do.  Wink

Especially when that are 100% correct.
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:35:57 AM

How for from the world are you? He gave a solid advice and you just flame back? Not very nice!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:07:20 AM

Most college dorms will be using 15A wiring which means you can mine with 12A assuming nothing else is plugged into that circuit - ie no TV, fridge, computer, not even a light.  12A x 120V = 1400W

If you have a huge dorm room with 3 to 5 people you might have 2 circuits doubling the amount of miners you can put, but if you trip the circuit not only will the dorm housing people come to reset the breaker they'll also look for what tripped the breaker.

I wouldn't run more than 500W until I make sure nothing else is on that circuit.  If you don't have access to the breaker panel then you shouldn't be testing the limits.  Burning down a dorm would cost you about 5000BTC in liability  Cheesy
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:16:58 AM

I would buy a fish tank instead.  You clearly don't know what you are getting into

While I don't entirely know what I'm getting into, I'm willing to learn.  I've always been interested in mining bitcoin so I might as well give it a try.  Your comments are not useful so please do not post on this thread.

I'm pretty sure newbies aren't allowed to tell full members what they can and can not do.  Wink

Especially when that are 100% correct.

No need for these full members to be rude though, especially when the newbie is being quite polite and learning from the answers that were given to him. Telling someone who wants to get into Bitcoin mining to buy a fish tank instead and that he clearly doesn't know what he's getting into, in a thread where he's attempting to know more, isn't useful indeed IMHO.

@OP: At any rate, be careful about expecting returns (ROI) from any miner. If you're doing it for the money, it's a risky investment. Do not invest more than you are willing to lose. And as you can see, running the miner 24/7 in your dorm is going to be tough because of the power consumption, the noise and the heat that it will generate. I would consider other options.

Cheers
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:23:11 AM

The only things worth buying are S3's. Buy 2 or 3 of them (about 340w each), a decent power supply, and call it a day. They aren't very loud. I actually like the ambient noise they generate and they would help me study if anything.

With free power they should ROI by winter break.

onlinemerchant (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:50:55 PM

Thanks guys! I think I'll follow your advice and look into the S3s.  I'll make sure to use close to 500w to be safe.  I wouldn't want to burn down my dorm. 
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 01:53:03 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 08:57:07 PM by Sophokles

So you are saying that a 1400w miner would be viable?

Even this is way too much for a room inhabited by humans. It basically means constantly open windows  and very dry air in winter, and it will become completely unbearable during the summer.

EDIT: 500W seems manageable.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:22:04 PM

u will burn the socket by using 3 kw.
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:31:55 PM

No, it will only trip the breaker, unless the electrical wiring/equipment is defective or non-compliant, which is unlikely in a campus dorm.

Anyway, I think OP has got it by now, read above.
Hfleer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:33:43 PM

No, it will only trip the breaker, unless the electrical wiring/equipment is defective or non-compliant, which is unlikely in a campus dorm.

Anyway, I think OP has got it by now, read above.

But he still hasn't realized exactely how much heat does things emmit. His room will be 10c hotter on average...

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:48:14 PM

One S3 is probably manageable if he has AC or can leave a window open for a breeze.  That's like a large TV and a stereo system - commonplace in most dorms.  Running anything beyond 1 S3 means that any other heat from computers, TVs, stereos would make the room quite toasty.
Hfleer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:10:33 PM

One S3 is probably manageable if he has AC or can leave a window open for a breeze.  That's like a large TV and a stereo system - commonplace in most dorms.  Running anything beyond 1 S3 means that any other heat from computers, TVs, stereos would make the room quite toasty.

Larger TVs and Stereos are not running with full capacity 24/7. Stereos have a max output of that wattage. So you can't really compare the heat of those two.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
GrandMasterB

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:15:00 PM

The heat of my two S3's is a pain in the living room of my 2bdrm 900 Sq ft Apt and I've got nice air being a mile from the Pacific Ocean. I don't mind when I'm not home (my miners rarely go above 42 C).

When I get home I make sure to face a fan outside a window. It's one of those Vornado fans you can get at Target. The thing is tiny but it's a beast. Just point your S3 exhaust towards it and it'll spit hot air straight out the dorm room. This should lower your room's ambient temperature a lot.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:00:54 AM

Larger TVs and Stereos are not running with full capacity 24/7. Stereos have a max output of that wattage. So you can't really compare the heat of those two.

We're talking dorm room, not average household with kids.  My roommate had the TV on 24/7 (big 32" Sony Trinitron sucking 320W) and if not the TV he had a 700W stereo bumping.  Yes, 2 15 subs with a high pass and a guitar amp will do that - we always left our window or door open.

Again it depends on the size of the room - 400 sqft would be hot, 1200 sqft not too bad with a single S3.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: