Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:39:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SD Card image for R-pi B+ to run R-box  (Read 1793 times)
Baldovin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:47:07 PM

Hello,

I am new to mining. I have an r-box mining on my windows laptop Cheesy. In an effort to use less electricity and free up my laptop I bought an R-pi B+ to run my r-box. I formatted the SD card and loaded the NOOBS software onto the SD card. The R-pi B+ booted up, the video worked, the mouse and keyboard worked. I then formatted the SD card and installed the eyeboot R-pi r-box image, the r-pi B+ failed to boot, no video and no keyboard or mouse. Is there a better image out there or is one being developed? Will I need to write it myself? If so can someone help orient me to that task?

Thanks,

David
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 11:08:45 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2014, 11:46:34 AM by klintay

Hello,

I am new to mining. I have an r-box mining on my windows laptop Cheesy. In an effort to use less electricity and free up my laptop I bought an R-pi B+ to run my r-box. I formatted the SD card and loaded the NOOBS software onto the SD card. The R-pi B+ booted up, the video worked, the mouse and keyboard worked. I then formatted the SD card and installed the eyeboot R-pi r-box image, the r-pi B+ failed to boot, no video and no keyboard or mouse. Is there a better image out there or is one being developed? Will I need to write it myself? If so can someone help orient me to that task?

Thanks,

David

I heard there are some capability issues with the Raspberry Pi B+
I think that is the issue you are having...

You could try making your own cgminer using your B+ though. Follow the instructions on these pages:

https://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/install-cgminer
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49274&p=383759

Just change the commands so that you are downloading the latest version of cgminer 4.5.0 and not 3.3.1
Baldovin (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:22:56 PM

Thank you for lead klintay. I will try to build it. The links you sent will help me.
CliveK

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:30:44 AM

I am waiting delivery of my RPi B+ for the exact same thing (R-Box), so let me know if you came right.

My current RPi media card reader is buggered, so ordered the B+ thinking it would be better having more USB ports and believe it is more power efficient.

thanks
Baldovin (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:24:03 PM

OK Clive I will post back once I get on my way. I have been reading the info posted above and believe the issue I am having is that the old kernel is no good for the B+. Unfortunately for me the simple solution of updating the kernel requires the internet to work. So I am going to learn how and then program the B+ to mine. To date I have formatted the SD card and loaded NOOBS. Then I installed raspian. The next steps are to check that the internet is working and then I will install cg miner. If I get that far then I think that I will be able to mine with the B+. I don't know how the r-box driver gets installed but I will figure that out when I get to it. Good luck.
CliveK

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:58:43 AM

So this is what I did.

I downloaded the vanilla raspbian which does include the USB drivers (the issue with the other versions I have tried).

You then need to do everything manually but there is a bit of help here and there to get it going.  No fancy web interface though, which is currently fine by me.

Getting 34GH/s and it is pretty stable.

Let me know if you need any help, but rather PM me and I struggle to find posts that I have responded to on this forum....mind it too focused on my thesis right now to remember what I have and haven't sent to people.

Clive
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: