Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:37:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins  (Read 5607 times)
cryptopaths (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:07:56 PM

The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins is first mover advantage. It's the truth if you compare bitcoin to a lot of alt coins on the technical side Bitcoin is lacking heavily. If the Protocol was updated to do something more like a lot of altcoins do I feel this is what would truly make the Bitcoin price sky rocket.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:13:10 PM

The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins is first mover advantage. It's the truth if you compare bitcoin to a lot of alt coins on the technical side Bitcoin is lacking heavily. If the Protocol was updated to do something more like a lot of altcoins do I feel this is what would truly make the Bitcoin price sky rocket.
price is determined by supply/demand, not mimicking an alt to influence price.  also, your assumption of advantage is fundamentally wrong.

changing block time or pre-mine amount or total circulation is nothing but a copy designed to scam people.  etc... etc... etc...
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:14:58 PM

That's one opinion. Another opinion might be that the these supposedly "superior" or "innovative" altcoins are in fact dangerously insecure bastardizations of the bitcoin protocol.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:21:40 PM

That's one opinion. Another opinion might be that the these supposedly "superior" or "innovative" altcoins are in fact dangerously insecure bastardizations of the bitcoin protocol.
you forgot to add "scams"
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:23:27 PM

I haven't seen any altcoins with any improvements yet.  Perhaps one came along while I wasn't paying attention.  Would you mind explaining which "improvement" you were thinking of?
Skoupi

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:24:22 PM

Bitcoin is more valuable (some might say that it is the only valuable cc) because it does everything that is supposed to do.
Of course it has some issues (scalability etc.) but i don't see any of those issues addressed by any alt coin.

Don't expect a coin to overthrow bitcoin because it has pos vs pow, or because it is 100% premined, or because it is written from scratch etc...
cryptopaths (OP)

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:28:14 PM

I haven't seen any altcoins with any improvements yet.  Perhaps one came along while I wasn't paying attention.  Would you mind explaining which "improvement" you were thinking of?

Namecoin had a huge innovation on its hands with its integrated domain system that could lead to the web becoming decentralized. Imagine if bitcoin integrated something like that, we would see massive growth. However it seems many people in the Bitcoin community look down on any new innovation and don't want to see the protocol progress.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4488

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

OP thinks bitcoin is only big because its first. ha ha ha ha ha

what a narrow minded idea.

the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then a few thousand people are being paid wages purely in bitcoin,
the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then a 100,000 merchants accepting bitcoin
the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then 50 separate ways to get bitcoin<->FIAT

its called infrastructure, now name me one altcoin that has this usefulness!!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:38:05 PM

The reason is because Bitcoin comes first and already attracted some Billions on investiments, and the market yet to see a reason to do the same with another crypto.

Also add funny features on bitcoin, like domain register, would need a strong consensus, and it is hard to impossible to achieve it at this point, unless for strong security reasons. The Bitcoin's inertia is too big at the moment.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:39:55 PM

I haven't seen any altcoins with any improvements yet.  Perhaps one came along while I wasn't paying attention.  Would you mind explaining which "improvement" you were thinking of?

Namecoin had a huge innovation on its hands with its integrated domain system that could lead to the web becoming decentralized. Imagine if bitcoin integrated something like that, we would see massive growth. However it seems many people in the Bitcoin community look down on any new innovation and don't want to see the protocol progress.

I've had similar thoughts but I also wonder if it is just not wanting to do anything to derail Bitcoin.  I also don't see coins like Namecoin making huge leaps and bounds and I'm scratching my head trying to understand why that is.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:45:04 PM

I haven't seen any altcoins with any improvements yet.  Perhaps one came along while I wasn't paying attention.  Would you mind explaining which "improvement" you were thinking of?

I've had similar thoughts but I also wonder if it is just not wanting to do anything to derail Bitcoin.  I also don't see coins like Namecoin making huge leaps and bounds and I'm scratching my head trying to understand why that is.

because no one cares about decentralized dns.
we already have tor hidden services that provide that plus anonymity.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:51:05 PM

Bitcoin is more valuable (some might say that it is the only valuable cc) because it does everything that is supposed to do.
Of course it has some issues (scalability etc.) but i don't see any of those issues addressed by any alt coin.

Don't expect a coin to overthrow bitcoin because it has pos vs pow, or because it is 100% premined, or because it is written from scratch etc...
about scalability non-issue... there was a post couple days ago on reditt about it...
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:53:32 PM

although namecoin is good in concept. its not like google chrome, firefox, internet explorer, etc have the namecoin dns lookup installed by default. thus average joe blogs cant simply type in a .bit address

if average joe could go to a .bit address without needed to mess with settings, or atleast without searching for where to find what the settings changes that were needed are. then namecoin would have more promise.

but because it involves people knowing that a dot bit address is part of namecoin and then having to search 'namecoin dns settings' makes it a hindrance. in 99% of cases if someone handed a stranger a dot bit address, the person will just see a blank page and simply move on with their lives finding a dot com address.

would you honestly give a stranger a web address on your business card and then say, "oh by the way to get to my site you need to go to tools-> settings-> blah blah blah" .. um no, very unprofessional.

unless Firefox chrome IE Oprah etc all have namecoin dns lookup in their default listing without users needing to do anything, namecoin would just remain a good concept and not a useful tool

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cryptopaths (OP)

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:55:26 PM

the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then a few thousand people are being paid wages purely in bitcoin,
the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then a 100,000 merchants accepting bitcoin
the truth is that bitcoin is more successful because more then 50 separate ways to get bitcoin<->FIAT

And that was all made possible because bitcoin had first mover advantage, use your head man.

It's called innovation and sooner or later an altcoin is going to make it big on innovation because bitcoin is to scared to. Some altcoins have already seen very good success, Bitcoin could increase it's worth past the point that it's already at if it just accepted this.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:58:13 PM

And that was all made possible because bitcoin had first mover advantage, use your head man.

It's called innovation and sooner or later an altcoin is going to make it big on innovation because bitcoin is to scared to. Some altcoins have already seen very good success, Bitcoin could increase it's worth past the point that it's already at if it just accepted this.
I don't think you really understand Bitcoin.  and contrary to your statement, no altcoin is an improvement.  they are scams.  designed to enrich someone or some group.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:59:24 PM

after 3 years of litecoin and 2 years of lots of altcoins, all i see is pump and dump coins that last 3-6 months, and a bunch of dice games.

pr9me

Activity: 369

Cryptsy.com • Got Shitcoins?

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:00:39 PM

The saying, "If ain't broke, don't fix it", comes to mind here. Though these "insecure bastardizations of the bitcoin protocol" have been, and will continue to be, extremely entertaining and profitable ventures to a few. I don't see them going away anytime soon, though a small handful continue to be a good test bed for innovation in cryptocurrency.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:06:13 PM

although namecoin is good in concept. its not like google chrome, firefox, internet explorer, etc have the namecoin dns lookup installed by default. thus average joe blogs cant simply type in a .bit address

if average joe could go to a .bit address without needed to mess with settings, or atleast without searching for where to find what the settings changes that were needed are. then namecoin would have more promise.

but because it involves people knowing that a dot bit address is part of namecoin and then having to search 'namecoin dns settings' makes it a hindrance. in 99% of cases if someone handed a stranger a dot bit address, the person will just see a blank page and simply move on with their lives finding a dot com address.

would you honestly give a stranger a web address on your business card and then say, "oh by the way to get to my site you need to go to tools-> settings-> blah blah blah" .. um no, very unprofessional.

unless Firefox chrome IE Oprah etc all have namecoin dns lookup in their default listing without users needing to do anything, namecoin would just remain a good concept and not a useful tool

yeah but thats not a reason to discount/discredit namecoin.  Hopefully those default settings will change and .bit gets easier.
Btw, I try not to use Google Chrome.  Google has too much centralized power already.  This is a perfect example of
why we shouldn't be giving them any more power by using their browser.  Also, chrome is probably reporting
every page you visit back to Google.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 10:21:47 PM

The few that add real anonymity (well will add at least)?
But for the most part there is no improvement. Having a faster block time/transaction time isn't one of those as people tend to suggest.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cryptopaths (OP)

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:24:31 PM

after 3 years of litecoin and 2 years of lots of altcoins, all i see is pump and dump coins that last 3-6 months, and a bunch of dice games.

I think your purposefully turning a blind eye to the innovation happening with altcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: