Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:16:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins  (Read 5612 times)
Jacobit

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:33:22 AM

Most all of the alt coins are junk copies with added crap.  Embarrassed
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:57:21 AM

I think the majority of the coins that have some level of value have value because of speculators.
This.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 07:00:04 AM

I only choose bitcoin because:

1) It's more widely known.
2) It's more widely accepted.
3) IMHO all other altcoins are copiers.

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:28:21 PM

If another altcoin were to have come before bitcoin then it would likely have value as well. I think the majority of the coins that have some level of value have value because of speculators.

No altcoin could come before bitcoin, except in some alternate universe where logic does not exist.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 03:36:24 PM

1) It's more widely known.
2) It's more widely accepted.
3) IMHO all other altcoins are copiers.

1) It's not a scam
2) It's not maleware
3) It has everything it needs to be money
4)...
543)...

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:48:48 PM

The infrastructure for bitcoin is magnitudes more solid than alt-coins. I had several alt-coins but those communities are full of scams and speculators, no one cares about the development of alt-coin, just pump and dump

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:54:22 PM

Most of the alts I have seen are a product of find & replace coding of Satoshi's code. It's like finger painting a corvette and saying "look at this awesome car I invented!!"

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:24:52 PM

1) It's not a scam
2) It's not maleware
3) It has everything it needs to be money
4)...
543)...

No LiteCoins?
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:31:37 PM

The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins is first mover advantage. It's the truth if you compare bitcoin to a lot of alt coins on the technical side Bitcoin is lacking heavily. If the Protocol was updated to do something more like a lot of altcoins do I feel this is what would truly make the Bitcoin price sky rocket.

Bitcoin was a first mover yes. So was Microsoft and it became a huge thing and is still there. So guess what man? It is probably going to always be there. Think of bitcoin like that. As long as microsoft is managed properly it is going to be at the top in its respective industry for a long time.

so will bitcoin Smiley
jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

The only reason Bitcoin is more valuable then other altcoins is first mover advantage. It's the truth if you compare bitcoin to a lot of alt coins on the technical side Bitcoin is lacking heavily. If the Protocol was updated to do something more like a lot of altcoins do I feel this is what would truly make the Bitcoin price sky rocket.

I agree, and first mover advantage does mean a lot though.  You suggest Bitcoin changes to make it better, but I THINK part of the things people like about Bitcoin is that you can't really mess with it, or change it, without getting most people on board.
kutaka

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:16:32 PM

Winner takes it all. Besides, all the altcoins are inflation in crytocurrency world, this is directly against the fundamental purpose of bitcoin - anti-inflation
Can't agree more.

I already got into bitcoin, which is risky enough. I do not have time nor money to care for hundreds of altcoins. Especially, when most of them a pumps'n'dumps.

I have never owned any altcoin. Few time I considered buying some, but I didn't. And lucky me that I didn't.

Also, currently I use bitcoin as store of value and method of payment. What altcoins bring to the table here?
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 3162

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:33:42 PM

I see a lot of absolutes in this thread, but people would do well to remember that nothing is set in stone.  No one knows with any certainty what the future holds.  The "it's good enough" comparisons drawn between Bitcoin and IPv4 may turn out to be right.  It's certainly possible that Bitcoin does everything we need it to already and the slowing development won't turn out to be a problem.  But it might not.  As Bitcoin itself has proven time and time again, anything can happen.  I can't in all honesty foresee a situation where Bitcoin won't be around, but it's not guaranteed to hold the top spot forever.  We'll have to wait and see how things progress over the coming years.

While it's true to say that -most- alts are probably just pump and dumps, it doesn't mean they all are.  Why not experiment with new features?  Why not test new ideas?  Amid all the noise and hype, some people are working diligently behind the scenes and coming up with some clever stuff.  Altcoins aren't hurting you unless you're worried about them diluting the fiat value of your bitcoins or you bought one that got dumped, so it's disingenuous to tar all coins with the same brush.
Fray

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:56:26 PM

I agree, and first mover advantage does mean a lot though.  You suggest Bitcoin changes to make it better, but I THINK part of the things people like about Bitcoin is that you can't really mess with it, or change it, without getting most people on board.
I think this is a big part of it, however it is also really the best designed crypto out there. It is much better then other coins in terms of likely percentage of blocks orphaned, potential attacks on the network, ect.

It also has a huge advantage of the fact that it's network is the most secure.
neordicICE

Activity: 505

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:07:57 PM

Network effect - Bitcoin is best because most use it. Here come the value, and it will be very hard to change Bitcoin #1 position in near future.
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:19:05 PM

Value is derived from the demand of the users.

Having better infrastructure and network/wallet security in place is probably one good reason it has value.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:24:03 PM

And that was all made possible because bitcoin had first mover advantage, use your head man.

It's called innovation and sooner or later an altcoin is going to make it big on innovation because bitcoin is to scared to. Some altcoins have already seen very good success, Bitcoin could increase it's worth past the point that it's already at if it just accepted this.

after 3 years of litecoin and 2 years of lots of altcoins, all i see is pump and dump coins that last 3-6 months, and a bunch of dice games.

I think your purposefully turning a blind eye to the innovation happening with altcoins.

I think he is turning an insightful eye towards the fact that most of these "innovations" are mere headlines designed to attract the attention of the easy marks.  It really is like san franscisco in 1849.  There were a few dudes who hit gold and made good money in 1848.  By the time 1849 rolled around, the scene was full of vultures and speculators and theives and the only ones making money were the ones selling picks and shovels.

You can call this the "first mover" advantage if you want.  But none of these altcoins have a large enough community to matter.  In fact, if you say btc is slow to innovate the protocol consider the fact that the bitcoin community is large enough that any changes have to be resonably consider and carefully considered because there is a lot of work that has been done and no one wants to screw that up because of an ill-thought out idea which seemed like an "improvement" untill it was realized that it wasn't one all too late.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:52:30 AM

And that was all made possible because bitcoin had first mover advantage, use your head man.

It's called innovation and sooner or later an altcoin is going to make it big on innovation because bitcoin is to scared to. Some altcoins have already seen very good success, Bitcoin could increase it's worth past the point that it's already at if it just accepted this.

after 3 years of litecoin and 2 years of lots of altcoins, all i see is pump and dump coins that last 3-6 months, and a bunch of dice games.

I think your purposefully turning a blind eye to the innovation happening with altcoins.

I think he is turning an insightful eye towards the fact that most of these "innovations" are mere headlines designed to attract the attention of the easy marks.  It really is like san franscisco in 1849.  There were a few dudes who hit gold and made good money in 1848.  By the time 1849 rolled around, the scene was full of vultures and speculators and theives and the only ones making money were the ones selling picks and shovels.

You can call this the "first mover" advantage if you want.  But none of these altcoins have a large enough community to matter.  In fact, if you say btc is slow to innovate the protocol consider the fact that the bitcoin community is large enough that any changes have to be resonably consider and carefully considered because there is a lot of work that has been done and no one wants to screw that up because of an ill-thought out idea which seemed like an "improvement" untill it was realized that it wasn't one all too late.

/thread

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:02:29 AM

If the Protocol was updated to do something more like a lot of altcoins do I feel this is what would truly make the Bitcoin price sky rocket.

Skyrocket? It is to laugh.

You explain to me how the piddly <5% additional cap that would come from each and every alt coin liquidating and going into bitcoin would cause more than a whimper in bitcoin cap! and I'll pay attention. Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:30:17 AM

/thread

What does it mean when you say "/thread"?  It reminds of LaTeX, but with wrong slash.
robyone

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:01:14 AM

IMHO main reason for the high value is MtGox "losing" loads of coins.
basically demand is higher than supply, if there were more coins in circulation, then supply would be higher compared to what it is now, hence the lower price.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: