Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:27:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Response from Linode regarding the theft case  (Read 4237 times)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 02:12:46 PM

This post is intended to inform all interested parties about Linode's response to Bitcoinica.

[829136] LINODE SECURITY BREACH -- $222,520 STOLEN
Status   Opened   Last Updated   Closed On   Regarding
CLOSED    21 days ago by bitcoinica    17 hours ago by tasaro    17 hours ago by tasaro    Other

Dear Zhou,

The entire Linode team would like to sincerely apologize for the security incident that affected your account. We let you down, and this is not the quality of service that we ourselves and our customers expect and deserve.

We want you to know that security has always been one of Linode's top priorities. Our entire team has dedicated themselves these past few weeks towards improving our procedures and policies relating to platform security.

As an act of good faith we have applied one year of service credit to your account. All of us are truly sorry for any inconvenience you incurred. We appreciate your business and hope that you will continue to host with Linode in the future.

Sincerely,

Thomas Asaro
Vice President
Linode

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:14:21 PM

Ouch.  That has to sting.  So "generous" of them to offer a whole year of service.  I will never do business with Linode.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 02:16:35 PM

Ouch.  That has to sting.  So "generous" of them to offer a whole year of service.  I will never do business with Linode.

They knew we would never do business with Linode again. So the credit is pretty much worthless.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:17:15 PM

WTF ?  *speechless*

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:18:25 PM

Yes, getting a couple hundred thousand dollars of assets stolen is, well, inconvenient.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:21:02 PM

1 year of free hosting as compensation for damage done.
* mila speechless
I'm pretty sure it is only an effort to repair the bad press that they got, since their T&C state that they aren't liable for anything.

What I'd rather see is a breakdown in excruciating detail of a) the reason it happened in the first place (security vulnerability details), b) exactly what fixes have been made to correct the issue (firing bad employee, tweaking PHP config, auditing firewall rules, etc), and c) an independent security audit and the results posted publicly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:25:50 PM

lame, but absolutely expected

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 03:00:20 PM

I have been using Linode for over a year now. A few months ago I went to their IRC channel and asked the people there why Linode does not accept Bitcoin and I got laughed at. That was strike one.

Then this ordeal happened. I didn't lose any money, but it was strike two.

I know of BitVPS and I am considering switching to them. Problem is I'm not a huge techie. It was a huge learning experience to build my VPS from scratch and host my website, VPN, email accounts etc. Moving to a new VPS would be a huge time commitment for me.

I may do it anyways down the road, but I'm curious, the people who DID lose money at Linode, where are they going now? What are they doing? Are they moving to BitVPS? Everybody here that is done with Linode, what are you doing? Where are you going?

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:15:32 PM

LOL... "our system sucks balls and lost you a couple hundred grand, so in return we'll let you keep using our service for free."

Bitcoinica lost all this money by the fault of Linode, and chose to cover the entire cost and reimburse its customers.

Linode enabled this loss through their own malfeasance, and chose not to cover any of the cost.

Bitcoinica has my sincere respect, and they demonstrate that even in the "wild west free market" of Bitcoinland, honor and market incentive can be better safeguards against theft than any regulatory body or legal system. Thank you Zhou! I hope you earn the money back 100 fold.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:17:36 PM

I hope you earn the money back 100 fold.
I doubt he can ever earn 4 million Bitcoins.

Oh, "money", that means fiat, my bad. Grin
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:31:26 PM

They knew we would never do business with Linode again. So the credit is pretty much worthless.

It's fine for LOLcat sites though  Tongue this Linode amateur shop.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:33:57 PM

I still say they should be sued. It happened due to their own internal policies with employees and security, not because of the customer's account security. How is that not 100% their fault?

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:37:07 PM

They have actually admitted fault right there. Provided you don't accept their offer as settlement (and you don't seem to be interested) this can help in court.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:57:36 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2012, 03:09:57 AM by hazek

I still say they should be sued. It happened due to their own internal policies with employees and security, not because of the customer's account security. How is that not 100% their fault?

Well if their terms say they aren't liable maybe not sued but definitely investigated by some external crime fighting agency. I mean are we to seriously take just their word for what exactly happened?

If it's an American company I'd contact the FBI. And if it's not it'd contact their countries respective crime fighting agency. Let's not just rollover every time someone get's their wallet stollen, these things can get investigated, if not by tracing the money, maybe they can do it by tracing the breach.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 02:32:55 AM

If I understood correctly, they had a backdoor in the system that their users never knew about, but the thief somehow did. This enabled theft of serious ammounts of money (sic!), and deserves serious response. 

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 02:52:22 AM

Well if their terms say they aren't liable maybe not sued but definitely investigated by some external crime fighting agency. I mean are we seriously take their word for what exactly happened?

If it's an American company I'd contact the FBI. And if it's not it'd contact their countries respective crime fighting agency. Let's not just rollover every time someone get's their wallet stollen, these things can get investigated, if not by tracing the money, maybe they can do it by tracing the breach.

+1

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2012, 03:53:13 AM

Moving to a new VPS would be a huge time commitment for me.

I want to have a process of backing up so smooth that restoration to a new service should be within a few commands...

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
cryptoxchange

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

Crypto X Change

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2012, 06:39:40 AM

We agree. Action should be taken.

Crypto X Change Global Bitcoin Exchange - Deposit & Withdraw to and from Our Exchange now for a $5 Flat fee - No Wire Costs or Bank Fee's - 100% Automated Banking System & Extremely fast transfers. We can send out Withdraws to over 120 Currencies. www.cryptoxchange.com
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 07:40:32 AM

if banks are not liable for contents in safety deposit box when stolen, even by bank employees or facilitated by bank employees or through gross negligence of bank employees... what makes people here think that bitcoinica has any chance of satisfaction?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 07:53:54 AM

They should be sued *if* they didn't (or won't) cooperate in properly reporting this as a theft (whether or not the stolen data is considered 'money' by the law) and providing all relevant information to a law enforcement agency.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: