Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:46:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep your bitcoins secure if you suddenly disappear (jail or prison)  (Read 16953 times)
solitude (OP)

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:50:23 AM

If you get jailed for years for whatever reason what is the best way to keep your bitcoins secure for when you (hopefully) get released?

There is currently a lot of bullshit laws in the USA that a red-blooded white man could easily get jailed for.

Discuss.

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Id probably do a mutil sig paper wallet where you only need 2 of the 3 keys. you keep one in a safe place and give the other two to people you trust with your life and tell them to put it in a safe or safe deposit box. Or you can just do a plain paper wallet, but I believe the multi sig is actually safer, that means if one paper is compromised then you just need the other 2 to gain access. Basically, one person cant get to the coin.

Or you can do just a plain paper wallet/cold storage.. But given the scenario that you described, id opt for the mutli sig i think..
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:29:37 AM

Encrypted paper wallet. Spread it around. No worries.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:45:14 AM

Do you know that Abe Lincoln is jacking off in a FleshLight and Ronald Reagan is holding a dildo. ROFL

Best solution to your dilemma is to leave the USA.

Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:14:13 AM

I think the best solution to this is to store a backup of your wallet in a cloud based storage service that is not associated with your identity (just make sure to properly encrypt the file and to make the process to decrypt the file one that can be done with a password that you can memorize). You would likely want to make sure that your storage service is paid for at least 2x the max amount of time you would expect to be gone for.

If you store your keys in any other way, then you face the possibility that your keys will be seized if/when you are arrested. Even if law enforcement cannot use the keys to send funds (they are properly encrypted) they can still keep them from you, making it a moot point that they can't spend the coins.

If you give your keys to a trusted group of people (via multisig or otherwise) you would face the possibility that law enforcement could seize the keys from them (or they could give them up voluntarily if threatened by law enforcement).  
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:19:27 AM

Encrypted paper wallet or you take some time to remember the private key using some tactics.
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:29:46 AM

Encrypted paper wallet or you take some time to remember the private key using some tactics.
This is why a paper wallet would not work for this situation. The paper wallet could simply be taken from you and destroyed so you would have no way of spending the coins on it (unless you had memorized the private key)
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:47:41 AM

Put your private keys encrypted in the cloud, with a password you won't forget by a few years, and with copies in various solid services that probably will survive few years.

Or make a paper wallet and hide the same way you would hide a precious treasure

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:48:30 AM

So this is only a problem for red blooded white men?

As how to safely store btc has been discussed many times.  I don't think that is actually what's being asked here.

What about if when you die?  I'm all set.  No matter what happens to me my btc lives on.
Hiraga

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:55:16 AM

OP seems to be racist, perhaps not worth to reply here.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1119
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 08:08:13 AM

If you are able to memorize 64 hexadecimal chars you should be fine. You just keep the private key in your brain.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:10:06 AM

Paper wallets handed out to family and very close friends, use password.  Could also bury one somewhere.
tooil

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:46:58 AM

I think armory wallet or paper brain wallet can do it.

This.

Just make sure you wrap the paper inside plastic.
will_see

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

https://bountyminer.io

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 08:50:03 AM

Encrypted a paper wallet is the best way

zahra4571

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 08:58:01 AM

Print it on metal plates, and hide it where nobody will suspect its a private key for BTC,
you just need to memorize the places where you hide it.

bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 09:49:57 AM

armory wallet has the best options I think  Cool Cool

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 10:21:20 AM

LoL!  Grin

Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:50:22 AM

How would you keep anything else safe if you got locked up? Bitcoin is porbably easier to secure than you're regular finances or posessions. Put em on a USB stick or a paper wallet.

There is currently a lot of bullshit laws in the USA that a red-blooded white man could easily get jailed for.

Poor White Americans. I really feel for their persecution.

Do you know that Abe Lincoln is jacking off in a FleshLight and Ronald Reagan is holding a dildo. ROFL

LOL I totally didn't notice that.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:00:35 PM

Option A: BIP38 paper wallet. Spread multiple copies out amongst family across the country and internationally if you have people you trust.

Option B: Stamp out the encrypted private key on a piece of metal and bury that somewhere safe where you can retrieve it years later.

Do both if you feel like it, why not be as safe as possible?

Crazy Option C: Get the encrypted private key tattooed on you but change 1 digit that only you know of.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:12:08 PM

1. Print QR code. Engrave in rock. Etch in glass. Whatever.
2. Hide.

That's how most people will do it. 1 is easy. 2 can get a little complicated.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: