Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:53:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadmap to 1.0?  (Read 3538 times)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 07:29:51 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 07:44:20 PM by deepceleron

+ past the December block-reward-drops-to-25

Shocked

I'm kind of surprised that even Gavin worries a bit about this.

It's not that he worries, it's just something that we need to prove as working in production.
There's a difference between testing something in a lab (testnet) and making it work in production ... we need to get this level of confidence.
You could make a 25BTC generate now and see if it crashes the network.... Testing is worth 25BTC, isn't it?
You'll have to wait to December to test that everybody orphans your 50BTC generate hack block though.

and also...
After we decide that it's out of beta, feature complete and tested, and we won't have any need to reset the blockchain back to block 0?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 07:22:11 PM

The things on my "good enough to be called 1.0" list are:

+ easy enough for my grandma to use
+ secure enough that it'd be hard for my grandma to lose her bitcoins, even if her computer is infected by 11 bitcoin-stealing trojans and then catches fire and explodes.
+ past the December block-reward-drops-to-25

To solve 'security' for non-computer people, you'd likely need non-computer wallets (paper wallets...grandparents are already familiar with important documents, or so I read).

For a "user-friendly-version install":
1) Test the user's printer.
2) Load some bootable image onto a flash drive.
3) Restart and boot into the flash drive.
4) Have this pristine world generate and print paper wallets.
5) After it reboots back into mac/windows, (on the paper wallets can be instructions for making the equivalent "watch-only" wallet, and something like *ONLY LET THOSE YOU TRUST SEE OR COPY THIS PART OF THE DOCUMENT* for the private keys).

Obviously the "spend problem" is more complicated...funds could be spent:
Within tiny-Linux again, or via a version of "offline transactions", or you could make every transaction immediately dump the remaining/unspent BTC into the "next" paper wallet...needs lots of wallets and not as user friendly, but good for large transactions.
OR, maybe they NEVER spend the BTC...since banks/lenders can use the blockchain to see how much BTC is in a wallet, normies can just borrow USD against the paper-"savings" BTC wallet as collateral (what Zuckerberg does with his FB shares...tax free!). For smaller transactions this would be ideal. (In fact, a BTC payable credit/debit card would make a month's worth of transactions into one transaction...[for transactions that don't need to be anonymous]).

...clearly it depends, to some extent, on new BTC innovations.

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 07:42:28 PM

@Gavin

BTW could the way passwords are punched in on the main client to unlock wallets be changed?

What I am thinking about is an on screen keyboard with these features:
1. Keys are shuffled each press.
2. Screen-keyboard window is placed randomly on screen.
(Saw it back when I played MapleStory - never in my online bank  Grin)

That way future BTC key loggers will be out of luck.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 10:10:13 PM

@Gavin

BTW could the way passwords are punched in on the main client to unlock wallets be changed?

What I am thinking about is an on screen keyboard with these features:
1. Keys are shuffled each press.
2. Screen-keyboard window is placed randomly on screen.
(Saw it back when I played MapleStory - never in my online bank  Grin)

That way future BTC key loggers will be out of luck.

Thing is, that's not very user-friendly for grandma.

Honestly, the usable-by-grandma goal and the grandma-wont-lose-coins goal are mutually contradicting. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth trying to achieve both, and frankly if it's not, I'd vote for choosing the coins-are-hard-to-lose goal. Let someone besides the Satoshi client developers worry about how simple and accessible the technology is for grandma--I'm sure other client developers and companies can handle that just fine.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 06:32:12 AM

In defense of the screen keyboard: Maplestory is played by pretty young kids - if they can do it, surely an un-demented grandmother could.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2012, 07:34:24 AM

In defense of the screen keyboard: Maplestory is played by pretty young kids - if they can do it, surely an un-demented grandmother could.

How hard would it be to screen-scrape the password screen?
Sure, it's an extra measure of security, no reason not to implement it ... but it won't protect against capable trojan writers.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 08:57:05 AM

How hard would it be to screen-scrape the password screen?
Sure, it's an extra measure of security, no reason not to implement it ... but it won't protect against capable trojan writers.
Not hard at all. In fact, I think a few (possibly even most) keyloggers take a screenshot on every mouseclick for exactly this reason. The reason not to implement a randomly-changing on-screen keyboard is that it's damn annoying and doesn't really provide much (if any) improved security, and in fact will probably reduce security substantially as it encourages users to use short passwords, due to how damn annoying it is to click a huge number of buttons when the buttons keep shifting positions randomly every time you click one. Angry

Seriously, security features that are annoying are as bad as no security at all because users will actively try to avoid using them properly: people would rather be insecure than annoyed. They may not admit it, but it's the truth. All security features must be designed with non-annoyingness in mind.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 10:05:10 AM

I assume the next major release will be 0.7, we'll be running out of 0.x headroom pretty soon Smiley

After 0.9 come 0.10 and 0.11; they're not decimals.

When a period is used to separate sequences, it does not represent a decimal point, and the sequences do not have positional significance. An identifier of 2.5, for instance, is not "two and a half" or "half way to version three"

Most free software packages treat numbers as a continuous stream, therefore a free software or open source product may have version numbers 1.7.0, 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.9.0, 1.10.0, 1.11.0, 1.11.1, 1.11.2, etc.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████