Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:01:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Republicans Vs Democrats: Who is more likely to embrace bitcoin more?  (Read 2777 times)
Fray

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:51:33 PM

Libertarian-leaning Republicans. Democrats are afraid of it because it's unregulated.

This.
I think liberals will also dislike bitcoin because it will force the government to be smaller and less powerful. The liberals generally want government to be as large as possible and for everyone to rely on it.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
timewave0

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:14:19 PM

Libertarian-leaning Republicans. Democrats are afraid of it because it's unregulated.

This.

Agree there.  I think deomcrats COULD possibly support it, if it became more regulated.  They love to be seen as "cooler" than Repubs, and Bitcoin is more of a cool and younger thing right now.

There's actually a lot more going on that I generalized into "afraid of it" with my terse comment. One of my Obama-supporting, Democrat, neo-liberal friends absolutely can't be convinced that there's anything wrong with the Federal Reserve system and banking cartel other than that money isn't issued directly by the government (her ideal, not mine). She thinks the TBTF bailouts were necessary. She absolutely can't be convinced that competition should be allowed in currency, even though she recognizes the dangers of monopolies in every other industry. She's afraid that if other currencies are allowed to prosper, one day she might walk into a store and not be able to pay for some goods. My best take on this ideology is a strong desire to preserve status-quo. It's ironically conservative. As long as her credit card works, she isn't willing to risk anything for the possibility of a better monetary system.
timewave0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:18:39 PM

This.
I think liberals will also dislike bitcoin because it will force the government to be smaller and less powerful. The liberals generally want government to be as large as possible and for everyone to rely on it.

To be fair, I don't think they want people to rely on government (although the politicians certainly do). They want people to be able to rely on government, and they're willing to accept the side-effect of people who don't need to rely on the government becoming reliant. For money, they want the government to guarantee the value of their money through the use of force and don't care about the consequences (petrodollar wars, inflation, non-obvious tax burdens on the poor).
GrandMasterB

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:29:01 AM

This.

Agree there.  I think deomcrats COULD possibly support it, if it became more regulated.  They love to be seen as "cooler" than Repubs, and Bitcoin is more of a cool and younger thing right now.

There's actually a lot more going on that I generalized into "afraid of it" with my terse comment. One of my Obama-supporting, Democrat, neo-liberal friends absolutely can't be convinced that there's anything wrong with the Federal Reserve system and banking cartel other than that money isn't issued directly by the government (her ideal, not mine). She thinks the TBTF bailouts were necessary. She absolutely can't be convinced that competition should be allowed in currency, even though she recognizes the dangers of monopolies in every other industry. She's afraid that if other currencies are allowed to prosper, one day she might walk into a store and not be able to pay for some goods. My best take on this ideology is a strong desire to preserve status-quo. It's ironically conservative. As long as her credit card works, she isn't willing to risk anything for the possibility of a better monetary system.

...and people scoff when I tell them the American education system is working just fine (for its intended purpose)!
timewave0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:46:01 AM

...and people scoff when I tell them the American education system is working just fine (for its intended purpose)!
I agree with you in general, but for her it's definitely not an issue of education. She understands the relevant facts. She knows how the banking system works, how the Federal Reverse works, etc. I think I've managed to teach her how all voluntary transactions are beneficial to all parties involved. She still seems to struggle with the subjectivity of value. Anyway, it really seems to be an issue of psychology that I don't have the background to completely understand.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:56:32 AM

Republicrat vs Republicrat...so many choices.

+1; It's a no-brainer that libertarians (and "conservatarians", which would describe me) are embracing crypto. For every Jared Polis among the Republicrats there is a Joe Manchin.

There was some research publicized today indicating that "moneyed interests" exercise almost complete control over US policy making, compared to the grass roots. Although the methodology may be flawed, it does concern me as it implies the naturally hostile banking/financial institutions will hold the upper hand in policy-making on crypto. On the flip side, I doubt the government can competently fight crypto growth and ultimate success over the long run. So the more populist politicians in the Republicrats (with libertarian/conservatarian support) may in the long run be able to pass fait accompli legislation that legitimizes crypto completely.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:58:25 AM

from this link http://www.coindesk.com/meet-the-us-political-candidates-who-are-embracing-bitcoin/

i see that there are 2 democrats, 2 republicans, 2 libertarians, 1 unknown, and 1 teabagger that are pro bitcoin.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:58:53 AM

Notice the logo at the very top of the campaign page for the next Texas governor? https://secure.gregabbott.com/donations/support-ga-search/?gclid=CM632OT7kcACFSdk7AodBz0A2Q

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess there won't be a poorly thought out "bit-license" in my state unless Wendy Davis is elected.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 08:56:24 AM

Republicans Vs Democrats: Who is more likely to embrace bitcoin more?

in terms of regulations, campaign donations, etc.

Neither, this 2 parties are self serving, and basically a mirror of each other with very minor differences.
That does not mean that individual Democrats or Republicans may or may not embrace bitcoin, but as a party they will not, for one they want to have the control of the money through the banks, and be able to finance wars.

Any party that truly values individual freedom will support Bitcoin.

Any party that may support Bitcoin will have this characteristics:
Believe in individual freedom, and to have the right not to be babysitted by the state against your will, specially in the area pf money.
Believe that peace is best for all of us.
Peace and Freedom go together, since if you Believe other have the same right to the same freedom that you have.
If you truly believe in total freedom, then you believe that borders are evil since they restrict your freedom.
Laws in general go against freedom, and as such in general they are bad, specially when you have so many of them that the average person has no clue how many laws exists, I agree only with the existence of a very few basic laws it is best.
Laws have to be clear and precise to guarantee that your freedom is respected and that can only happen if there are few of them, otherwise it is caos.

I believe the founding fathers of the constitution were very much pro freedom, and since in the constitution of the USA the only legal money is gold or silver, I very much believe if they were alive today they would be pro bitcoin, too bad the reality today is far from what the constitution says, it is quite the opposite the government is always planning on ways to rape the constitution, I wish the government got raped and not the constitution, well it will get raped by the bitcoin revolution that it is taking place right now.

In brief:
Do not trust Democrats or Republicans, they will both want to steal your money to fund their wars.
The constitution is good but it is not respected by current politicians.
Not all government is bad, a very tiny government I believe it is good, since when you come to this world you are naked, and the government is needed for very basic tasks only such as hospitals and education and currently it sucks very badly at the basic tasks since it gets involved it other things it has no business.
The bitcoin revolution will be a success, and all political parties at such time in future will support bitcoin due to their self serving interests.

The only honest parties are the ones that support bitcoin now, during the revolution, not after the revolution.

I believe that both parties are actually trying to kill bitcoin by regulating  what does not need regulation and for preventing the average person from participating in the economy the same way the big guys do, the only reason they do not ban bitcoin is because such a law would be unenforceable and it would make them look like idiots and they know that, so instead they take the approach of regulation bitcoin to its death at its weak points, the weak points are the centralized points, all decentralization is good for the bitcoin economy.

bitcoin with regulation or without will succeed, regulation are like speed bumps on the road thats all, it will cause bitcoin adoption to slow down a little bit, but will completely fail at stopping the Bitcoin revolution.

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 10:10:15 PM

This.
I agree. Generally democrats dislike it when people who work hard are able to climb the economic ladder and are able to create wealth for themselves. This is exactly the kind of people that would invest in bitcoin related businesses and would buy bitcoin both as an investment and to use as a currency.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Fray

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:12:40 PM

This.

To be fair, I don't think they want people to rely on government (although the politicians certainly do). They want people to be able to rely on government, and they're willing to accept the side-effect of people who don't need to rely on the government becoming reliant. For money, they want the government to guarantee the value of their money through the use of force and don't care about the consequences (petrodollar wars, inflation, non-obvious tax burdens on the poor).
I think that a large percentage of people who "can" rely on government will do so, even if they have the ability to support themselves without the help of government. Liberals are well aware of this fact.

Generally speaking the tax burden on the poor is very low. In many cases many poor people's effective total tax rate (including income, sales, property and any other types of taxes) is below zero.
timewave0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:22:47 PM

Generally speaking the tax burden on the poor is very low. In many cases many poor people's effective total tax rate (including income, sales, property and any other types of taxes) is below zero.
It might appear that way, but consider the tax burden built into the goods and services they consume.
pajrinn

Activity: 234

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:33:34 PM

Cheesy I think republic,
because Republic needed more funds for development in the country but this is my opinion Cheesy
Fray

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:07:39 AM

It might appear that way, but consider the tax burden built into the goods and services they consume.
Even after accounting for sales tax many people have a negative tax rate. If you are talking about the taxes that corporations pay on their income, then this should really not be counted as the corporations still have more money then they otherwise would if they did not earn the money they earned.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:42:42 AM

Republicans and Democrat.. two sides of the same corrupt coin. Both run by the corporate elites. I'm not interested in either.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: