Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:53:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing bitcoins : could it work?  (Read 25725 times)
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2010, 09:24:31 PM

What about Printable RFID Tags with printable transistors that can store, read, and write data:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-03/cheap-plastic-rfid-tags-promise-replace-bar-codes

cheap...currently 3 cents each, possibly as low as 1 cent each:

and flexible too Smiley

Or instead just use good old RIFD tags with really cheap embedded memory chips inside of a hard plastic, cardboard, or even paper?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 10:12:42 PM

In the event of war with the use of EMP generators I would prefer non-electronic storage method.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2010, 11:19:22 PM

In the event of war with the use of EMP generators I would prefer non-electronic storage method.

Of course yes, you might want to print a physical copy of your wallet to paper for long term storage, but i think the main topic of this thread is for printing bitcoin notes for day-to-day person-to-person exchanges without having to carry around your gaget or be connected to the network, NOT necessarily long-term storage.  People currently don't carry around cash for long term storage...they just keep enough money in their pocket to handle day-to-day person-to-person transactions...they don't keep their whole life savings as cash inside their wallet.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2010, 11:40:43 PM

I was just brainstorming now thinking outside the box: maybe instead of thinking that we have to keep all the code inside one piece of paper, maybe we should be thinking about a printed coding scheme that uses one or more of the following operations:
  • split the printed code in half when making a transaction
  • modify the printed code when making a transaction
  • append more code to the printed code when making a transaction
  • destroy and recreate the printed code when making a transaction
  • having two pieces of paper with different printed codes for each note

Of course I didn't give any solutions here...just some brainstorming in case this sparks some other ideas the clever people out there on the bitcoin forum...

Also, what about the idea of using self-destroying codes somehow to prevent double spending.  Maybe volatile RFID memory that when scanned gets erased.  Or maybe some special ink that changes its chemical properties when exposed to certain light, causing the code to get erased when scanned.  Or maybe some online database that self-destructs when the url is accessed (such as my 10BTC wallet file I stored on-line as a self-destructing message whose url I encoded in a QRcode...that 10BTC wallet is still up for grabs Smiley ).  Or maybe using some expiration date scheme for each note...if we have short-life span notes then that means it is less likely for those double spending in its lifetime.  For instance, I just stumbled upon Vansih - Self Destructing Digital Data which will use on line Distrusted Hash Tables to store an encrypted message and key which will decay in a specified amount of time, say 8 hours.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 02:19:09 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2010, 02:47:27 AM by theymos

You could print out the public/private keys, but send your coins to that key with a special transaction that also requires a password to claim (done securely with the hash functions and a salt). Then tell the recipient the password orally. An attacker needs to both hear the password component and scan the key component.

You wouldn't want to use just a password because your transaction would then be vulnerable to MITM attacks.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 03:25:58 AM

You could print out the public/private keys, but send your coins to that key with a special transaction that also requires a password to claim (done securely with the hash functions and a salt). Then tell the recipient the password orally. An attacker needs to both hear the password component and scan the key component.

You wouldn't want to use just a password because your transaction would then be vulnerable to MITM attacks.

Might work for major transactions, but can you see yourself doing this in the checkout line at Kroger?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
October 02, 2010, 04:59:21 AM

Might work for major transactions, but can you see yourself doing this in the checkout line at Kroger?

People already use PIN entry screens for debit cards, which is pretty much the same.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
leryn17

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2010, 06:10:32 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2010, 08:49:15 AM by leryn17

Some random Friday afternoon brainstorming: could you print out bitcoins to function as user-created paper money?

I haven't tried printing coins. But I think, printing bitcoins will probably work. It is possible to identify it as the user-created paper money.
anarchy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 09:52:42 PM

Why print something when digital is the way to go?
Anonymous

November 15, 2010, 11:03:05 PM

I have a book sitting on my bookshelf that is 200 years old. Do you think you will still be able to read your chosen digital format in 200 years?
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 11:44:45 PM

I have a book sitting on my bookshelf that is 200 years old. Do you think you will still be able to read your chosen digital format in 200 years?

Indeed.

Furthermore, all known digital media -- magnetic tape, magneto-optical, CD, DVD, hard drive, flash drive -- deteriorates over time.  While many of us old codgers have 20-year-old hard drives that still work, your "average" media can start losing data in under 10 years.

Machine-readable, printed material is far more durable than that.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Bitquux

Activity: 116

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 12:10:31 AM

Do you have any 200-year-old bank notes? If you do, would they still be honored? I can't even keep current bills in my wallet for long. If you want long term storage, convert to something you feel is likely to retain value (nothing is guaranteed). This is currency, not artifacts or knowledge. It's supposed to be used.

In the case of some war involving EMP, many smaller electronics should survive. Even so, if you're worried about that, you should stock up on things like food, medical supplies, and beer. That's what what people will want when the lights go out.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 12:43:50 AM

In the case of some war involving EMP, many smaller electronics should survive. Even so, if you're worried about that, you should stock up on things like food, medical supplies, and beer. That's what what people will want when the lights go out.

You should be doing that anyway, if you have the funds to risk in investments, you should be trying to limit your risks of personal loss in the unlikely event of a social crisis before placing any funds at risk for a retirement.  Even the bible talks about this in many places.  It's so central to the Mormans' religious interpretation that households are obligated to stock up for a year for their entire family, so as not to be a burden upon the community in the event of social collapse.  Morman churches usually have a collective food pantry controlled by the head of the local church (bishop?) to cover this obligation concerning the missionaries (mostly young men in college) who are no longer a part of their parents' household and not yet at the point in life to establish their own household.

Mormans take the passage, "A fool spends all that he has, but the storehouses of the wise are filled with choice food and oil" very seriously.  Considering that they are the only denomination to have experienced a real war with the US Government at any point in history, they might have something to contribute to plans for a future that that same government goes mad.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2010, 11:41:06 PM

As has been mentioned by many bitcoiners several times in this thread, why bother printing bitcoins, when the future of payment will be on your cell phone?  From http://www.pcworld.com/article/210735/android_23_will_do_mobile_payments_and_lots_of_bump.html:

Android will soon support mobile payments (starting with Android 2.3), and some future Android phones--the Nexus S might be the first--will contain NFC (near field communication) chips. NFC chips can effectively turn your smartphone into a credit card of sorts by broadcasting data to other NFC-speaking machines. For example, you would be able to walk into a store, "bump" your phone on a NFC sensor there, and pay for your goods without having to pull out a credit card or cash. Some retailers may start accepting smartphone payments as early as next year.

So it seems that it may not necessarily be terribly important to have to print bitcoins anyway.  Maybe someone can write a cellphone app to handle bitcoin payments via bumping?

Any thoughts?

Anonymous

November 17, 2010, 12:07:07 AM

Do you have any 200-year-old bank notes? If you do, would they still be honored? I can't even keep current bills in my wallet for long. If you want long term storage, convert to something you feel is likely to retain value (nothing is guaranteed). This is currency, not artifacts or knowledge. It's supposed to be used.

We use plastic notes here.  Tongue

Bitquux

Activity: 116

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 12:51:57 AM

They'll be cabon nanofiber notes in 200 years. Or bitcoins. Either way your plastic will be worthless. What were we talking about?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 01:49:43 AM

They'll be cabon nanofiber notes in 200 years. Or bitcoins. Either way your plastic will be worthless. What were we talking about?

I prefer Post-it for my notes.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: