Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: a question for left-liberals  (Read 21815 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 02:48:21 AM

SgtSpike,

Sure... but one thing is for your venture to get profitable fair and square other is for it to be profitable out of others' being underpaid.

Actually we already have it around, with the exploitation of chinese. "Far from sight slavery". Everything has its production costs and if you're buying it too cheap, someone else's paying the "difference".

But I already see your points, and we are becoming redundant. Yep, politically we wouldn't get along, but luckily money is color (and wing)-blind.
How can you call it underpaid if someone is willing to work at that pay scale?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 03:16:02 AM

Wait! Let me check... white skin, probably red blood inside (but I really don't want to split it now), arms, legs... guess I'm a human being myself  Grin

So, are you saying that if you don't have white skin you aren't a human?
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 04:07:49 AM

Wait! Let me check... white skin, probably red blood inside (but I really don't want to split it now), arms, legs... guess I'm a human being myself  Grin

Noooooooo, he's clearly saying if you don't have arms or legs you aren't a human.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 05:25:54 AM

Noooooooo, he's clearly saying if you don't have arms or legs you aren't a human.

Now that reminds me.... what do you call a man with no arms and no legs in a pool?
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 08:07:37 AM

Now that reminds me.... what do you call a man with no arms and no legs in a pool?

I've never heard that joke before but I'm guessing it's starts with F and ends with UCKED.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 08:09:05 AM

I've never heard that joke before but I'm guessing it's starts with F and ends with UCKED.

Starts with B and ends with ob.

Also, what do you call a man with no arms and no legs in a pile of leaves?
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 09:05:54 AM

Actually I mean that if I'd green scales instead of skin I probably wouldn't be human... effects from V - Final Battle series  Grin

Also if I've tentacles... I probably wouldn't be human either. People without "arms and legs" still have their place and unless in extreme rare genetic diseases, they had them once.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 03:22:49 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2011, 11:32:33 AM by doood

Google told me his name is Russell.

What about a man with a truck on his head?

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 04:23:09 PM

I cheated and Google told me his name is Russell.

What about a man with a truck on his head?

Jack.  Cheesy

Ok, I'm done with bringing this thread wildly off topic.
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

SgtSpike,

Sure... but one thing is for your venture to get profitable fair and square other is for it to be profitable out of others' being underpaid.

Easily - by believing that his (BCE's) subjective values are superior to the subjective values of the parties to the exchange, and therefore that they may be forceably imposed upon them (and upon us, as we - not he - will be paying for it all). Paternalism in rare form.

Now if someone who objected to the exchange offered to donate from their own funds, or to raise funds from other voluntary contributors, to rectify what they perceive as an inequitable exchange, then I would applaud them.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 06:10:28 PM

SgtSpike,

Easily - by believing that his (BCE's) subjective values are superior to the subjective values of the parties to the exchange, and therefore that they may be forceably imposed upon them. Paternalism in rare form.
Isn't that the fault of his own ignorance?
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2011, 06:15:41 PM

I don't know. He may be ignorant of the fact that he would subsume other people's values to his own by force. He might just not care. Most likely, he does know and thinks that it's just because his values are "better".

Which gets back to the OP's question - why it is wrong for me to impose my (conservative) social values on people's sexual, recreational, or other lifestyle choices, while it is perfectly fine for him to impose his values on others when it comes to pecuniary matters? Obviously, the assumption is being made. I (along with the OP) want to know WHY.

I think it's far more consistent to say that one may not impose his values on other people through force, period. Liberty is the absence of coercion. One can't say he is "for liberty" if he supports coercion in either people's personal OR economic choices.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 06:18:59 PM

I don't know. He may be ignorant of the fact that he would subsume other people's values to his own by force. He might just not care. Most likely, he does know and thinks that it's just because his values are "better".

Which gets back to the OP's question - why it is wrong for me to impose my (conservative) social values on people's sexual, recreational, or other lifestyle choices, while it is perfectly fine for him to impose his values on others when it comes to pecuniary matters? Obviously, the assumption is being made. I (along with the OP) want to know WHY.

I think it's far more consistent to say that one may not impose his values on other people through force, period.
I absolutely agree.  If people want to kill themselves with drugs, I don't care.  As long as it's not affecting other people, I don't see a reason it should be regulated.

BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 06:35:09 PM

«Not force», «not coerce»... all relative, all roundabout to nothing.

If a person has no food will work for whatever it takes, or steal, or do something to get his stomach refill... if he goes to work is has been coerced by hunger to do it, if he goes steal he will coerce somebody into give him food.
Either way and on any way, coercion exists and remains.

I've to say I'd so far found more coercive rules within those "anarchist groups" than anything else. Like somebody once said: Nobody is against dictatorships, they might is be against the dictator not be themselves.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Anonymous

May 13, 2011, 02:46:46 AM

«Not force», «not coerce»... all relative, all roundabout to nothing.

If a person has no food will work for whatever it takes, or steal, or do something to get his stomach refill... if he goes to work is has been coerced by hunger to do it, if he goes steal he will coerce somebody into give him food.
Either way and on any way, coercion exists and remains.

I've to say I'd so far found more coercive rules within those "anarchist groups" than anything else. Like somebody once said: Nobody is against dictatorships, they might is be against the dictator not be themselves.
It's not all relative. You either let people manage their lives and labor or you don't. There's no middle-ground, no room for compromise.

All organisms are coerced by their bodies to sustain themselves. Welcome to life. Unfortunately we are not immortal, invincible beings. Somebody still has to put food in our bellies -- either the hungry individuals themselves or others that have to take on double-duty.

Forcing others to feed themselves plus others is the coercion we are talking about. Don't be silly.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 01:22:40 PM

Money is not morals, Two different concepts, no matter what you believe. Personally, I think minimum wage provides a useful floor on labour as supply is, by definition, most always lower than demand (in unskilled labour anyway). Free market economics applied to the social construct of employment doesn't scale, as there are always people willing to work for far less.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2011, 06:00:21 PM

"Nick".   I'm just going to leave this here...    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4HGQHgeFE   Minute 1:45

Anonymous

May 13, 2011, 09:55:31 PM

Money is not morals, Two different concepts, no matter what you believe. Personally, I think minimum wage provides a useful floor on labour as supply is, by definition, most always lower than demand (in unskilled labour anyway). Free market economics applied to the social construct of employment doesn't scale, as there are always people willing to work for far less.
Employment is not a social construct. It is individuals negotiating their labor at market value. It's a person's right to work for whatever they please. It's their labor. They can choose to give it to whomever for whatever in return and it should not be subjected to the mere whims and desires of others.
DATA COMMANDER

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 07:38:26 AM

Quote from: bitcoin2cash
I respect your right to hold that opinion. Do you respect my right to hold the opposite opinion? In other words, if I disagree with you and start claiming property as my own, are you going to use violence against me or my property

The circular reasoning gets slipped in so quickly and subtly, it's almost beautiful. Like a magic trick.

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:57:59 PM

You folks are big on sexual freedom, be it homosexuals, deviants or whatever.

What's deviant for one person is vanilla for another, and vice versa.  Sexual freedom isn't so much the issue here as sexual equality.  If I can't tell you how to have sex then neither can you tell me.  Obviously there are limits to sexual freedom as soon as sex becomes coercive, but those limits should apply to everyone equally.  Things like religion cannot be an excuse for exemptions.  

But to answer your question:

I'm a leftist of sorts, but not of the authoritarian variety.

I believe that we could all be better off if we acted more cooperatively and shared more things. But this kind of collectivism should always be voluntary. I believe that people and companies who refuse to act cooperatively should be encouraged through reputation systems, ostracism, education and negotiation, but never through force.

The minimum wage issue is complex. In principle I'm against mandatory minimum wages. But in the real world, governments already forcefully priviledge large corporations over workers, freelancers, and small entrepreneurs.   So in practice, any government force that tips the balance away from large corporations has a positive effect.

Two wrongs don't make a right of course.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: