Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:48:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum maximum number of coins  (Read 11986 times)
themasknetwork (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

MaskNetwork lead developer

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 01:07:51 PM

We all that the maximum number of bitcoins is limited to 21 million.

Also, 100% of altcoins have some limits.

But i couldn't find what is the max number of ether coins that can be be issued. There is no info on wiki.... Does anyone knows more details ?

MASKNETWORK.
    Decentralized social trading network that rewards users  |   JOIN ICO
    Assets | Binary Options | Leveraged Markets - Trade and get paid !!!
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:39:06 PM

You'd think that'd be something people would be asking, wouldn't you? Given that they've now got millions of dollars in bitcoins for their IPO.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
themasknetwork (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 01:46:24 PM

You'd think that'd be something people would be asking, wouldn't you? Given that they've now got millions of dollars in bitcoins for their IPO.

I think the first question when you buy a cryptocoin / stock / security is "What percent am i buying Huh?".

If you can not answer this question you have just bought FIAT money. Period.

MASKNETWORK.
V500

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:47:28 PM

no limit. It's not ment to hold value, it's ment to be 'fuel' ... it was made very clear from the beginning this stuff would be inflationary. ETH is not suitable for speculation. It is just 'fuel' to prevent spam. Nobody was reading the Terms of Service? People blow money on stuff based on hearsay? Yes?

it's worse than fiat because fiat doesn't devalue by 25% in a year. If you bought into ETH for speculative gains then i have bad news for you.

lowest inflation in town: Unobtanium
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527500.0
Learn from history: Unfair money always fails
newuser01

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:02:20 PM

no limit. It's not ment to hold value, it's ment to be 'fuel' ... it was made very clear from the beginning this stuff would be inflationary. ETH is not suitable for speculation. It is just 'fuel' to prevent spam. Nobody was reading the Terms of Service? People blow money on stuff based on hearsay? Yes?

it's worse than fiat because fiat doesn't devalue by 25% in a year. If you bought into ETH for speculative gains then i have bad news for you.

QFT

those who are expecting to profit from ethereum pre-sale will be disappointed.
themasknetwork (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 02:08:01 PM

You want to tell me people invested over 25.000 bitcoins in an inflationary currency, with no value.
They bought "fuel" for real cash ? Smiley)

The limited supply is the BASIS of all valuable things (land / pretious metals....). If this is not a joke, I think hundreads of investors just got scammed. I'm 100% sure that 90% of ethereum investors DID NOT READ THE Terms and Conditions.

This is an extremely important subject and they should have post it on the first page.

MASKNETWORK.
themasknetwork (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 02:11:58 PM

Man...i have just opened the Terms and Conditions page :

"....for technical reasons EthSuisse may need to change the annual rate of new creation to a value lower than 26% to account for changes to the Ethereum mining algorithm or to address other issues that may arise. There is no guarantee that this percentage will be accurate or that this rate will continue at the same level....."

For FIAT, a 25% inflation rate would spell disaster. But not even 26% is guaranteed. Unbelievable !!!!

MASKNETWORK.
ChetnotAtkins

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:33:58 PM

Ether is not a profitable security, it pays no dividend and is highly overvalued. And if you want to use it for Ethereum's services, why not buy when they are openly trading?
The price of Ether on the open market on the day after the issuance will be considerably lower than it is in this presale. That is an inevitability with an asset in such an unbalanced position
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:42:39 PM

"....for technical reasons EthSuisse may need to change the annual rate of new creation to a value lower than 26% to account for changes to the Ethereum mining algorithm or to address other issues that may arise. There is no guarantee that this percentage will be accurate or that this rate will continue at the same level....."

For FIAT, a 25% inflation rate would spell disaster. But not even 26% is guaranteed. Unbelievable !!!!

26% of ETH sold in the IPO is the guaranteed maximum.
Since the yearly inflation is a fixed amount of ETH, it is a decreasing percentage as the years go by,
and will at some point become less than even the few % of ETH that inevitably gets lost every year.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:53:12 PM

Newsflash.  Ethereum has lower inflation than bitcoin years 1.  The same year 2. 

Ethereum just like buttcoin will be a high return for original investors if it sees widespread adoption.  (It will take 4 years to bring equilibrium to miners / initial investors). 

It's IPO was trying to avoid the discouragement of adoption by limiting the pyramid scheme of say ... NXT. 

If it's widely used the initial investors will benefit.  If it is not widely used (like NXT) Then no.  Investors will not benefit.  I agree it is highly likely in the first year it could be cheaper than it was at the sale.
themasknetwork (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 07:26:13 PM

26% of ETH sold in the IPO is the guaranteed maximum.
Since the yearly inflation is a fixed amount of ETH, it is a decreasing percentage as the years go by,
and will at some point become less than even the few % of ETH that inevitably gets lost every year.

1. Ethereum supply is 100% controlled by "the team".
2. The team can "inject" anytime any qty of coins into the market "to address other issues that may arise".
3. Ethereum is issued by "the team", not by the network. Nothing is hard-coded. There is no guarantee that the team will not inject 10.000.000 ether to "maintain" the network stability on the "long term".

Do you really think that bitcointalk's readers are retarded Huh

You tell me that "26% of ETH sold in the IPO is the guaranteed maximum.", when the he TOS states that "There is no guarantee that this percentage will be accurate or that this rate will continue at the same level".

The real problem is that issuing new ether coins is NOT a transparent, hard-coded process. It's up to Vitalik and his team how much coins are going to be created next month.

A lot of smart people are reading this forum. Do you think they are all blind ??

MASKNETWORK.
themasknetwork (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 07:27:31 PM

Newsflash.  Ethereum has lower inflation than bitcoin years 1.  The same year 2. 

Ethereum just like buttcoin will be a high return for original investors if it sees widespread adoption.  (It will take 4 years to bring equilibrium to miners / initial investors). 

It's IPO was trying to avoid the discouragement of adoption by limiting the pyramid scheme of say ... NXT. 

If it's widely used the initial investors will benefit.  If it is not widely used (like NXT) Then no.  Investors will not benefit.  I agree it is highly likely in the first year it could be cheaper than it was at the sale.

What the heck is "buttcoin" Huh?

MASKNETWORK.
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:31:54 PM

So the Ether you're buying is totally arbitrary? It has no max limit?  And people are buying this?

Fuel? What the hell does that even mean?

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:45:45 PM

I've known about it being a PoS / PoW hybrid since January? PoW coins all die from professional miners and hardware kings who dump.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:49:53 PM

And if you think that NXT intends to implement (and already has done a lot) everything Ethereum intends to implement (Smart Contracts, Automated Transactions, Turing blabla completeness), but much cheaper, you'd be rolling on the floor laughing at who in their right mind and in total sanity would have invested in Ethereum. Those 'investors' will be very surprised to find out what they burned their bitcoins on. Rude awakening, so to speak.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:57:17 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2014, 08:07:47 PM by TaunSew

And if you think that NXT intends to implement (and already has done a lot) everything Ethereum intends to implement (Smart Contracts, Automated Transactions, Turing blabla completeness), but much cheaper, you'd be rolling on the floor laughing at who in their right mind and in total sanity would have invested in Ethereum. Those 'investors' will be very surprised to find out what they burned their bitcoins on. Rude awakening, so to speak.

"But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes" is effectively Ethereum's marketing.   Cheesy

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:48:20 PM

What the heck is "buttcoin" Huh?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:49:12 PM

I've known about it being a PoS / PoW hybrid since January? PoW coins all die from professional miners and hardware kings who dump.

You mean like bitcoin?
V500

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:04:20 PM

not all of them. That's why you look for pow with low inflation if you are investing around here. Just sayin' Most of you muppets go for hype and features when it really comes down to low inflation if you want to invest longterm.
(see my signature)

People who think they can escape fiat-inflation-system by turning to a coin that inflates even heavier than fiat miss the point.
Before putting any money into a coin you ask 'what's the max number of coins?' and 'when will it be reached?', 'how is that inflationrate?'
If you don't do that you get burned.
Look to MYR or VTC for example when you want to see how inflationrate is more important than hype - in the long run.

To not get too far off topic: can ETH pump a bit once released? Yes, it could. Can it stay up? Probably not.

lowest inflation in town: Unobtanium
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527500.0
Learn from history: Unfair money always fails
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:26:31 PM

4 years is too much my friend.. i have saw all the sucessfull ipos to go 4x times the original ipo value in days.. this is bitcoin not stock market.. the same people who bought at ipo will pump the coin once it goes live.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: