Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:54:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The final bear trap  (Read 3601 times)
sbryant31 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:34:54 PM

I lurk these forums quite frequently, and I've been hanging out since 2011. We all saw this dip coming. This is that dip where people say, "Fuck it, I'm done! It's not going to the moon EVER!" Pirate has stolen all of our money! etc..

The past is no reliable predictor of the future, but it's all we've got, so let's come up with some expected values based on intuition.

Let's say there's a 25% chance these bubbles will repeat themselves and over the next year we'll reach >$4000 level.
Let's say there's a 50% chance we'll stagnate at an average of $500 over the next year
Let's say there's a 25% chance we'll go to $0 over the next year.

0 * .25 + 0.5 * 500 + 0.25 * 4000 = $1250 expected value over the next year, for me at least.

So keep on selling and I'll keep on buying!

Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:11:06 PM

I think that's a rational and simple way to look at it, but in my own estimations, the chances for success are much higher.

This price down-turn is necessary, which is why, as a holder, I find myself smiling this morning. I don't think it's over either. Hold on to your asses! Once we get this out of the way, the chains are off. No more excessive leveraged positions holding us in place, and a lot of people acting irrationally, while the biggest bulls just lost their positions and watch the train leave the station. Panic.

You guys asked for wall street to get in on bitcoin, I don't think you knew what you were wishing for. They are here, right now, they are about to shake you down for all your coins, because the window of opportunity is closing. Lock those coins up folks. Put your straight jacket on if you need to.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 05:14:42 PM

waking up to opportunity  Grin

This is Awesome!  (hoping it dips further downward)

Teppino

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

bitcoin hates walls

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:48:26 PM

I think that's a rational and simple way to look at it, but in my own estimations, the chances for success are much higher.

This price down-turn is necessary, which is why, as a holder, I find myself smiling this morning. I don't think it's over either. Hold on to your asses! Once we get this out of the way, the chains are off. No more excessive leveraged positions holding us in place, and a lot of people acting irrationally, while the biggest bulls just lost their positions and watch the train leave the station. Panic.

You guys asked for wall street to get in on bitcoin, I don't think you knew what you were wishing for. They are here, right now, they are about to shake you down for all your coins, because the window of opportunity is closing. Lock those coins up folks. Put your straight jacket on if you need to.

Agreed 100%.
Wall street is selling and buying back their own coins to depress price by  taking advantage of delusion sentiment about the missed bubble. Also August is perfect for the above manipulation because there's statistically less people trading on exchanges, this means that said manipulation is also cheaper to achieve.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

I lurk these forums quite frequently, and I've been hanging out since 2011. We all saw this dip coming. This is that dip where people say, "Fuck it, I'm done! It's not going to the moon EVER!" Pirate has stolen all of our money! etc..

The past is no reliable predictor of the future, but it's all we've got, so let's come up with some expected values based on intuition.

Let's say there's a 25% chance these bubbles will repeat themselves and over the next year we'll reach >$4000 level.
Let's say there's a 50% chance we'll stagnate at an average of $500 over the next year

0 * .25 + 0.5 * 500 + 0.25 * 4000 = $1250 expected value over the next year, for me at least.

Looking at the charts of the past years seems that we are near the end of the stagnation period,
your calculations are made "for fun" but I think you centered the point, the train will leave the station after the weak hands will be out of the game.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:53:04 PM

Agreed 100%.
Wall street is selling and buying back their own coins to depress price by  taking advantage of delusion sentiment about the missed bubble. Also August is perfect for the above manipulation because there's statistically less people trading on exchanges, this means that said manipulation is also cheaper to achieve.

What do you think is special about August that makes people be less active on exchanges?   I have read some people attributing that to it being the Summer months, and people are doing other things than sitting in front of a computer.   But when you think about it though...it is always Summer somewhere in the world...
Capt Drake

Activity: 208

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:59:29 PM

Agreed 100%.

What do you think is special about August that makes people be less active on exchanges?   I have read some people attributing that to it being the Summer months, and people are doing other things than sitting in front of a computer.   But when you think about it though...it is always Summer somewhere in the world...

Agree, I work the entire year and only go out for a month and besides that, bitcoin is global, with more activity in the North of the globe, but it is global;
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:05:09 PM

Agreed 100%.

August people don't have start of year bonus and stuff, and already are in debt, so less prone to put money in especulative assets.

That is my guess.
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:11:24 PM

Agreed 100%.

August it is the month when most people go on vacation.

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
maker88

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:33:38 PM

Agreed 100%.

Well I mean, it defiantly isn't always summer in some part of the world. There's only two seasonal hemispheres. When it's spring/fall, it's summer no where on earth.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:34:41 PM

This is the logic I've been using to justify buying in. If Bitcoin becomes worthless I'll lose far less than I could potentially win.

Here's my expected value assumption, still trying to be conservative:

10% chance of $0.
15% chance of $250-400 (avg $325)
25% chance of $400-700 (avg $550)
25% chance of $700-2000 (avg $1350)
25% chance of $2000-5000 (avg $3500) or higher.

0 * .10 + .15*325 + .25*550 + .25*1350 + .25*3500 = Expected value $1,398.75.
Current price = $535
Discount = $863.75 or 62%.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Teppino

Activity: 139

bitcoin hates walls

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:44:40 PM

Agreed 100%.
Wall street is selling and buying back their own coins to depress price by  taking advantage of delusion sentiment about the missed bubble. Also August is perfect for the above manipulation because there's statistically less people trading on exchanges, this means that said manipulation is also cheaper to achieve.

What do you think is special about August that makes people be less active on exchanges?   I have read some people attributing that to it being the Summer months, and people are doing other things than sitting in front of a computer.   But when you think about it though...it is always Summer somewhere in the world...

Mind you, i'm answering a question about a guess i made, therefore i must stay in "guess space" Smiley
In my probably wrong opinion bitcoin exchange market has been statistically mapped by "big players"  since 2011 by analyzing (and correlating) factors like timestamps of market events and relative intensity, geolocalization of such events where possible and also obfuscation of emerged patterns by deliberate production of statiscal noise to make analysis harder to smaller analysts.
It *could* be that the northern hemisphere, and in more details big cities in europe/usa/asia, emerged in said analysys like big players in bitcoin market. If that chain of dumb guesses made any sense, August is the right month to achieve a cheap manipulation.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 07:25:02 PM

I lurk these forums quite frequently, and I've been hanging out since 2011.

In other words you created this sock puppet back in the days.
Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:43:01 PM

The first two are reasonable positions to take IMHO, but I don't buy the third one.  I no longer consider there's any plausible scenario where BTC goes to zero, let alone one with 25% probability.

Of course, if that's just a euphamism for BTC going down a lot - say to double figures - then sure, that's possible.  Although personally I think the probability of BTC hitting double figures for any length of time (anything more than an intra-day low) is much, much lower than 25%

roy
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:13:53 PM

This is the logic I've been using to justify buying in. If Bitcoin becomes worthless I'll lose far less than I could potentially win.

10% chance of $0.

Current price = $535

This expected value assumption looks better that the one from the thread started,
but 10% chance on the death of bitcoin is way too high in my opinion Smiley
Newbie1022

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:20:53 PM

Bro, you have lost touch with reality. How do you jump from a 50% chance of stagnation to a 25% chance of greater than $4,000. Let me correct these numbers for you (and they aren't terrible... but just in the realm of reality).

5% chance of $1,000 to $1,500 at the end of the year
30% chance of $700 to $900 at the end of the year
15% chance of $600 to $700 at the end of the year
15% chance of $500 to $600 at the end of the year
15% chance of $400 to $500 at the end of the year
15% chance of $300 to $400 at the end of the year
5% chance of below $300 at the end of the year

You can shift any of these numbers give or take 5 to 10%, but that's it. There's money to be had... not fortunes.
Newbie1022

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:26:08 PM

10% chance of $0.

Current price = $535

This is a little closer to reality, but still way, way too extreme. Remember that the bubbles are getting progressively smaller and this is an entirely different market than in the Gox days... more professionals, less irrational exuberance, a lot of leverage to unwind, and more post-Gox suspicion.

I am not saying it won't end up higher... in fact, fairly higher, than it is today. I'd say a truer strike price at the end of the year is in the $550 to $800 range. We are oversold, but really only slightly so.
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 10:57:14 PM

This is not even a dip.. a dip would be if we reach below 400 for a long period of time.. from 600 to 530.. well is not too much.
Newbie1022

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:03:07 PM

This is not even a dip.. a dip would be if we reach below 400 for a long period of time.. from 600 to 530.. well is not too much.

Do you mean from 670... if you broaden the lens a bit... to 530... yea, that's only 20% of market cap wiped out. No big deal at all.

Also, people can stomach that... but a few of the leveraged longs are getting perilously close to the breaking point. That's the reason for the panic.
GangkisKhan

Activity: 141

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:06:53 PM

Going to position myself to catch coin at 350-400.

Correction will go steeper than most traders expect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: