Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:10:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am new,looking to start mining.  (Read 2919 times)
tooil

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:11:09 AM

So for a newbie to look into buying a miner and start mining would not be a viable idea?

If you wanted to own some gold, would you mine it or buy it?

As a newbie, mining it would take a lot of time, effort, and money and you would only find a tiny bit. Bitcoin is the same.

On the other hand, an experienced gold miner could probably do ok. Bitcoin is the same.

Experience gold miner could go broke also if market condition is bad.

They have long term capital cost tied up to the operation that is not easy to sell and liquidate.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 05:38:24 AM

So for a newbie to look into buying a miner and start mining would not be a viable idea?

If you wanted to own some gold, would you mine it or buy it?

As a newbie, mining it would take a lot of time, effort, and money and you would only find a tiny bit. Bitcoin is the same.

On the other hand, an experienced gold miner could probably do ok. Bitcoin is the same.

Experience gold miner could go broke also if market condition is bad.

They have long term capital cost tied up to the operation that is not easy to sell and liquidate.

It is true never bet the house so to speak.  I love mining, and am lucky to have decent electricity price and lots of space.  So I will keep mining.

I hate how people try to scare people away from mining.  But i do agree there is a need for quick BTC when buying comes in nicely, or if BTC takes a drop and you can buy in.  But at least do ROI calculations before saying no mining to your situation. 
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 03:39:01 PM

whats with everyone wanting to mine? just buy it and hold onto it, and you`ll be in more profit then the miners.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:50:07 PM

whats with everyone wanting to mine? just buy it and hold onto it, and you`ll be in more profit then the miners.

A lot of people who are new to Bitcoin are attracted by the fact that you can create wealth by letting your computer perform arithmetic calculations. It's interesting, effectively money for nothing. They also don't get that the difficulty increases exponentially and therefore assume they'll get thousands of USD every month and will be millionaires in a few years time.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 09:03:44 PM

Don't spend $3500 on a miner, you'll never recoup that money back in BTC or fiat barring an amazing price spike in the next few months.

Mine for fun instead.  Mine to learn new tech, to play around with hardware/software, and to say to all your friends "I'm Bitcoin mining!"

Here's what you do.  You buy $3000 worth of BTC and sit on it until the eventual price spike to the moon.  The other $500, buy an Antminer S3+ and power supply and go to town tweaking, overclocking, cooling, and find ways to wire and host it without tripping over it in your house.  After about 3-4 months, sell the S3+ and psu for BTC to recoup some of your fun losses.

That's all you need to do, and you'll be happier and healthier of mind.

And then check back on the BTC price by 2016 or so, it'll be worth it!   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Nagato4

Activity: 625

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:17:28 AM

A lot of people who are new to Bitcoin are attracted by the fact that you can create wealth by letting your computer perform arithmetic calculations. It's interesting, effectively money for nothing. They also don't get that the difficulty increases exponentially and therefore assume they'll get thousands of USD every month and will be millionaires in a few years time.

What makes the problem worse is that, they can find some out of date mining tutorials and analyses, in which they can get a lot of bitcoin using just ordinary computers and USB miners.

hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:35:52 AM

What makes the problem worse is that, they can find some out of date mining tutorials and analyses, in which they can get a lot of bitcoin using just ordinary computers and USB miners.

Agree, too many outdated tutorial make it feels like bitcoin is so easily mined. Even my friends told me its easy to get ton of BTC while they didn't even know what is ASIC.

cutesakura

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:49:18 PM

each investment must have a risk, whether high risk or low risk, depending now we want to choose between these investments, at this time if we do not have substantial funds, perhaps we should invest our funds are low-risk investment ...  Roll Eyes
CSI_Tech_Dept

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 06:43:37 PM

I am not so experienced, but as far i know BTC mining is almost dead. So think about BTC trading instead of mining.
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:12:42 AM

If you are into miners, look into antminers, but understand mining in general is pretty brutal now.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:47:52 AM

I am not so experienced, but as far i know BTC mining is almost dead. So think about BTC trading instead of mining.

It seems absurd to claim that mining is dead when the network hash rate is around 240 PH/s.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 02:18:21 PM

I am not so experienced, but as far i know BTC mining at home is almost dead. So think about BTC trading buying and hodling instead of mining.

Fixed that for you.   Grin

And there endeth the lesson.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
coin_price_usr

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:03:00 PM

Thanks, great informational thread for a newbie like myself  Smiley
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:10:11 PM

It seems absurd to claim that mining is dead when the network hash rate is around 240 PH/s.

Mining isn't dead, but mining for home user is..

MileyJohanson
minerpumpkin

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:35:18 PM

There are also still tutorials or summaries of Bitcoin that suggest Mt. Gox as a Bitcoin exchange, which obviously isn't a very good idea nowadays! The basics stayed the same, but the whole ecosystem is moving so fast that things become obsolete practically over night.

minerpumpkin

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:37:12 PM

Of course mining isn't dead. It's indeed absurd that people claim this. For the network itself it doesn't matter at all what the hash rate is. When people say that mining is dead, most intend to say that mining for profit is futile for the regular person doing it in his basement. Which is mostly true. The margins are getting smaller and smaller and only the very big operations survive.
Still, if this makes a lot of mining unprofitable and the hash rate indeed goes down, it effectively becomes profitable gain. It's self-regulating - beautiful!

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: