Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:04:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It can bypass bank transfers on Bitstamp and LakeBTC?  (Read 3247 times)
Bejkn (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:38:48 AM

LakeBTC is an ripple gateway now, and Bitstamp has be a gateway for long time ago. (http://www.xrpga.org/gateways.html )

The coindesk article says "Lets Users Bypass Bank Transfers with Ripple" (http://www.coindesk.com/lakebtc-users-bypass-bank-transfers-ripple/ )

How is it done to bypass the bank?
If I deposits/withdrawals cash/bitcoin with ripple on Bitstamp/LakeBTC, is it really that I don't need to have any contact with any bank?

Does anyone tried it? how about it and how much the fee?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bejkn (OP)

Activity: 219

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:41:16 AM

In addition, is this legal?
theblacksquid

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:01:25 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 05:13:49 PM by theblacksquid

Ripple uses a Hawala-type system of  value transfers between users and market makers in the network. One takes the burden of counterparty risk by accepting an IOU from one user for a certain amount of money, and gives its cash equivalent to another user, and deducting that user's balance in that currency.

https://ripple.com/ripple-mm.pdf

The legality of it though, is something I don't have any idea about...

Support Decentralized Commerce - OpenBazaar.org
Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 07:40:02 PM

I've used it and it works. I don't remember there being any fee at all for Ripple deposits or withdrawals, although I can't be 100% sure now.
peeveepee

Activity: 211

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:19:11 AM

What is the fee to transfer between bitstamp and lakebtc?
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 09:57:55 AM

Its all free - I just checked LakeBTC fees and I knew Bitstamp was free for Ripple withdrawals already because I use it all the time. Its not a single operation though, you withdraw from Bitstamp to Ripple and then Deposit to LakeBTC from Ripple rather than transfering directly from one site to the other.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:33:22 PM

Never can. You always need to exchange your fiat money into some kind of digital token, the most simple way is directly buy bitcoin at exchanges. I don't understand why do you need to first exchange your dollar to XRP (involve a bank transfer anyway) and then use XRP to buy bitcoin  Huh

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:52:32 PM

Never can. You always need to exchange your fiat money into some kind of digital token, the most simple way is directly buy bitcoin at exchanges. I don't understand why do you need to first exchange your dollar to XRP (involve a bank transfer anyway) and then use XRP to buy bitcoin  Huh

Transfers to the EU are expensive for Americans. In order to do a wire transfer to Bitstamp I would have to spend about $45 or so. If I could transfer to a local institution via ACH I could do it for free.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:41:48 AM

Transfers to the EU are expensive for Americans. In order to do a wire transfer to Bitstamp I would have to spend about $45 or so. If I could transfer to a local institution via ACH I could do it for free.

You don't use localbitcoins? coinbase? Most of the time I trade on localbitcoins, only occasionally on Bitstamp

efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:04:31 AM

You don't use localbitcoins? coinbase? Most of the time I trade on localbitcoins, only occasionally on Bitstamp

There are reported case of cash deposit being able to reverse. How do you deal with scammer on localbitcoin?
Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2156
Merit: 536

Building my own Dreams!

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:52:18 AM

deposit on lakebtc via ripple is free, withdraw is 1-5%.

deposit/withdraw on bitstamp via ripple is 0.2% plus your trading fee accord to the fee schedule.

you can see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=695082.0

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
BTCjust

Activity: 241

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:18:08 AM

Sure, if you deposit via Ripple, do not need any banks.
Ripple is not the third-party payment like WU, UC, but a network payment like bitcoin.
Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2156
Merit: 536

Building my own Dreams!

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 08:39:27 AM

Ripple is not the third-party payment like WU, UC, but a network payment like bitcoin.

ripple deposit/withdraw on bitstamp is not cheap

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Jamacn

Activity: 236

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:53:10 AM

Its all free - I just checked LakeBTC fees and I knew Bitstamp was free for Ripple withdrawals already because I use it all the time. Its not a single operation though, you withdraw from Bitstamp to Ripple and then Deposit to LakeBTC from Ripple rather than transfering directly from one site to the other.
Is bitstamp withdrawal free via ripple?
It seem to 0.2% + your fee schedule, the same as deposit.
zinger

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:51:44 AM

ripple deposit/withdraw on bitstamp is not cheap

I love using ripple. Sturdy as it is, Bitcoin is still my #1 coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: