Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:13:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI 7690m XT for bit coin mining?  (Read 907 times)
puremind7772 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:37:44 PM

I have an old laptop, an HP pavillion dv6, that is running an ATI 7690m XT graphics card that i'm thinking about using for bitcoin mining. However i dont see it listed in most of the ati card lists in bitcoin calculator or bitcoin mining hardware comparisons. Is there any particular issue with this card or is it not listed because its not well known?

Also, the card doesn't have a lot of support from ATI and is still running the old 2011 drivers it came with. No new drivers for the card have been released and new driver installations fail. Will this be a problem as far as APP is concerned?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:49:38 PM

GPU mining Bitcoin is pointless.  You would spend vastly greater amounts on electricity and upkeep than you stand to make back.
You should have a look at the Altcoin mining section instead.

That said - mining list don't list every single card out there. Usually they are community-driven, so it takes at least 1 person with that card that can perform some measurements to add it - anything else would be speculation based on where it fits between other cards / calc units available, etc.

puremind7772 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:46:00 PM

I actually work at a remote government facility where the electricity is free for the employees (we also have limited but free internet access), so electricity cost is really not an issue for me. I can just set up my laptop on a cooling pad and let it run all day. Also any thoughts on the APP if the only ATI driver i have is the original factory 2011 one?

Thanks for the altcoin suggestion though, i will check it out.
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:51:33 PM

GPU mining is dead since februari 2013

smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:30:51 PM

You would burn up the GPU card on that laptop long before you made even enough bitcoin for a minimum payment.  This is like trying to dig a tunnel with a spoon.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:47:27 PM

You would burn up the GPU card on that laptop long before you made even enough bitcoin for a minimum payment.  This is like trying to dig a tunnel with a blunt plastic spoon.

FTFY Smiley

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: