Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationship between volume and volatility - you won't believe what I found  (Read 1471 times)
BombaUcigasa (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:24:03 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 09:35:24 PM by BombaUcigasa

The exact numbers are not important, but the absolute volume and absolute volatility (price difference) are too well correlated. Why is this happening? Are the order walls evenly distributed this well on Bitstamp? It's logical that the price will move with volume, and the volume will increase if there's a price potential, but are they really so closely connected?

For example:

Day 1: someone comes in, sells bitcoin for the price to go from 600$ to 500$, delta 20%, volume 20% of average.

Day 7: someone comes in, sells bitcoin for the price to go from 600$ to 500$, someone else comes in and buys bitcoin up to 600$, someone else comes in and sells again down to 500$, delta 20%, volume > 20%?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:25:14 PM

I dont understand what this is..

I mean, you'd expect volatility and volume to be pretty well correlated.
BombaUcigasa (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:26:56 PM

Ok, sure, I suppose that is expected. But why if the price is 10% different today, the volume has to be 10% bigger? Can't the market move with less volume? What if everyone decides that the price is 600$ tomorrow, and nobody resists the new price level and it just surfs? I think there are too many bots out there.
Schickeria

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:28:22 PM

Why you wonder? A lot of volume moves the market, effecting strong movements and contrarian movements. The first volume-kick is the of start volatility.
BombaUcigasa (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

Why you wonder? A lot of volume moves the market, effecting strong movements and contrarian movements. The first volume-kick is the of start volatility.
For example:

Day 1: someone comes in, sells bitcoin for the price to go from 600$ to 500$, delta 20%, volume 20% of average.

Day 7: someone comes in, sells bitcoin for the price to go from 600$ to 500$, someone else comes in and buys bitcoin up to 600$, someone else comes in and sells again down to 500$, delta 20%, volume > 20%?
maker88

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:21:35 PM

Ok, sure, I suppose that is expected. But why if the price is 10% different today, the volume has to be 10% bigger? Can't the market move with less volume? What if everyone decides that the price is 600$ tomorrow, and nobody resists the new price level and it just surfs? I think there are too many bots out there.

it can move with less volume, sure. but volume is just the amount of people buying or selling, so obviously when that increases, volatility increases as more people are either buying or selling. pretty basic i think.
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:51:51 AM

it can move with less volume, sure. but volume is just the amount of people buying or selling, so obviously when that increases, volatility increases as more people are either buying or selling. pretty basic i think.

what i know, its the same at the wall street. the principle. the reporters always saying in the tv: today we have seen less volume. they saying with that, today nobody cared, there were no movement in price etc.

But what is you direct different conclusion. you can just pm me, if you dont to public it.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:03:42 AM

I'd guess margin cascade is the simplest explanation, compounded by psychological impact of the cascade which encourages non-automated trades.

As an aside, it looks like:
Volume > volatility when BTC falls.
Volume < volatility when BTC rises.

Am I remembering the rise and fall time periods right?
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 06:25:35 AM

Generally speaking when volatility is larger, more people will want to either enter into or out of a position due to their own internal "stops" and speculators will want to attempt to profit when prices are moving large amounts as there are more potential opportunities for profit.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
BombaUcigasa (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:12:45 AM

I'd guess margin cascade is the simplest explanation, compounded by psychological impact of the cascade which encourages non-automated trades.

Yes, it appears the exchange arbitrage is causing more than half the trades to be from external sources and once the price moves, new hedges are put in the other wall. As for your observation, looking at the spikes only it seems to be true in 50% of the cases. The market is composed of market-makers and the actual real trades are small in volume and covered by volume with later repositioning trades. It's almost perfectly liquid.

There are two perceptions that I noticed them in real time:
- During the china peak, the market was empty, nobody had any bitcoins for sale (because the offer was exhausted) and nobody wanted to buy (crazy price, already bought all). So the price changed rapidly on little volume.
- During the mtgox crash, the market resisted strongly against mtgox's arbitrage opportunity, which was of course unsolvable. Those were some of the days where the price stayed in the same region while huge volumes were traded up and down.
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 08:03:56 PM

Yes, it appears the exchange arbitrage is causing more than half the trades to be from external sources and once the price moves, new hedges are put in the other wall. As for your observation, looking at the spikes only it seems to be true in 50% of the cases. The market is composed of market-makers and the actual real trades are small in volume and covered by volume with later repositioning trades. It's almost perfectly liquid.

There are two perceptions that I noticed them in real time:
- During the china peak, the market was empty, nobody had any bitcoins for sale (because the offer was exhausted) and nobody wanted to buy (crazy price, already bought all). So the price changed rapidly on little volume.
- During the mtgox crash, the market resisted strongly against mtgox's arbitrage opportunity, which was of course unsolvable. Those were some of the days where the price stayed in the same region while huge volumes were traded up and down.

there is always a correlation between volatility, volume and price. mac , rsi, emas working good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: