Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:27:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Poll: What happens when the blockchain gets too big?
doesn't matter, with web wallets etc you don't need to store all of it - 5 (12.2%)
we all carry around huge storage devices - 2 (4.9%)
technology will advance by then (1 tb flash drive etc) - 10 (24.4%)
it won't get big (thats what she said) - 1 (2.4%)
its big enough (thats what he said) - 0 (0%)
when the cypriots were losing faith, thas when I heard 'bout the blockchain chain! - 1 (2.4%)
we panic sell and the price plummets for a few days - 1 (2.4%)
It's likely technology will stay one step ahead of the storage and processing needs of the blockchain, it has so far.  I'd be more worried about the exponential growth of the mining gear hashing for the network... - 4 (9.8%)
Storage and processing are getting cheaper everyday also. So the size of the blockchain is non issue for now. - 3 (7.3%)
It's simple. First of all regular users will more than ever use light clients. But there will be an increased pressure on developers to make a solution to breaking the Blockchain up into subsequent "frozen states" every n Blocks. These snapshots - 3 (7.3%)
It won't be a big problem since the storage cost is decreasing every year more, with 60$ you can buy a 1tb external hd... - 2 (4.9%)
We'll I for one don't think it's a necessarily good aspect of Bitcoin if you have to download 1 TB of data before vein able to try it out. Sure, regular people use light-clients. But that doesn't mean the underlying technology can't evolve to become bette - 1 (2.4%)
this wont be an issue for some time and perhaps never because, as others have stated the growth in storage space far exceeds the growth of the block chain.  even if the size does become a problem there are various pruning and compression techniques that c - 1 (2.4%)
Blockchain size? I'd be way more worried about a division of the NSA cleverly implanting snippets of tracking code covertly into every form of the Bitcoin protocol in all the various mirrors that house the protocol, through covert hacking.  Smiley - 1 (2.4%)
Nothing will happen. Most wallets won't even download the blockchain so it doesn't matter. - 1 (2.4%)
If it will ever became a problem you should just use a lightweight wallet like Electrum / Armory / Multibit, but there's no reason to worry about it. - 1 (2.4%)
It's a mixture of options, it wont matter because of lightweight clients and tehcnology will become bigger and cheaper so things like 1tb flash drives wont be uncommon (or something similar). - 2 (4.9%)
What I worry is there is less people to use bitcoin qt and download the whole blockchain. The number of nodes is not increasing much. Even the existing nodes may quit. It is bad for the wealth and security of BTC network. - 1 (2.4%)
You can get hosting on websites that let you create a username and they give you 50 gigabytes of data to store for free. These websites use whatever you upload like most websites do. But if it doesn't matter than you get unlmiited storage lol. I store ton - 0 (0%)
Blockchain getting big; quantum computers; power grid failure are not as potentially harmfull than a government ban for the price because they are problems that can be dealt with with a long term solution - 1 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What happens when the blockchain size gets too big?  (Read 1955 times)
bitcoinsrus (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:37:53 PM

Many people have discussed this recently and what do you think will happen? (comments added to the poll)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:41:28 PM

It's likely technology will stay one step ahead of the storage and processing needs of the blockchain, it has so far.  I'd be more worried about the exponential growth of the mining gear hashing for the network... the rate is well... exponential and I can only see it ending in collapse but only after everyone but the big players have been pushed out of mining... unless the asics keep improving to the point watts drawn is not an issue.... can only hope
AdamSmith

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:05:16 AM

Storage and processing are getting cheaper everyday also. So the size of the blockchain is non issue for now.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:29:15 AM

It's simple. First of all regular users will more than ever use light clients. But there will be an increased pressure on developers to make a solution to breaking the Blockchain up into subsequent "frozen states" every n Blocks. These snapshots will feature the balance of the latest chain state and can be validated whether they're "legit"

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
linxproz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:35:52 AM

It won't be a big problem since the storage cost is decreasing every year more, with 60$ you can buy a 1tb external hd...
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:42:26 AM

It won't be a big problem since the storage cost is decreasing every year more, with 60$ you can buy a 1tb external hd...

We'll I for one don't think it's a necessarily good aspect of Bitcoin if you have to download 1 TB of data before vein able to try it out. Sure, regular people use light-clients. But that doesn't mean the underlying technology can't evolve to become better and more scalable!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Alphi

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:45:33 AM

this wont be an issue for some time and perhaps never because, as others have stated the growth in storage space far exceeds the growth of the block chain.

even if the size does become a problem there are various pruning and compression techniques that could be applied to shrink the block chain so I doubt it will ever get "too big"

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 09:42:44 AM

Blockchain size? I'd be way more worried about a division of the NSA cleverly implanting snippets of tracking code covertly into every form of the Bitcoin protocol in all the various mirrors that house the protocol, through covert hacking.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Rampton

Activity: 525

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 09:54:50 AM

Nothing will happen. Most wallets won't even download the blockchain so it doesn't matter.

nope491

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:00:00 AM

If it will ever became a problem you should just use a lightweight wallet like Electrum / Armory / Multibit, but there's no reason to worry about it.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:02:35 AM

It's a mixture of options, it wont matter because of lightweight clients and tehcnology will become bigger and cheaper so things like 1tb flash drives wont be uncommon (or something similar).
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 11:41:40 AM

If it will ever became a problem you should just use a lightweight wallet like Electrum / Armory / Multibit, but there's no reason to worry about it.
What I worry is there is less people to use bitcoin qt and download the whole blockchain. The number of nodes is not increasing much. Even the existing nodes may quit. It is bad for the wealth and security of BTC network.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:29:23 PM

Many people have discussed this recently and what do you think will happen? (comments added to the poll)

You can get hosting on websites that let you create a username and they give you 50 gigabytes of data to store for free. These websites use whatever you upload like most websites do. But if it doesn't matter than you get unlmiited storage lol. I store tons of stuff on free websites.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:45:02 PM

Blockchain getting big; quantum computers; power grid failure are not as potentially harmfull than a government ban for the price because they are problems that can be dealt with with a long term solution

TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 01:33:40 PM

When I realized that poll options are being added from comments on the thread, this thread lost all semblance of sanity. Or, it tries to represent the ever-growing blockchain as an ever-growing poll. New thread idea: What happens when the poll in this thread gets too big?
wzb422

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 01:34:50 PM

i think it will crack down
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 04:13:22 PM

When I realized that poll options are being added from comments on the thread, this thread lost all semblance of sanity. Or, it tries to represent the ever-growing blockchain as an ever-growing poll. New thread idea: What happens when the poll in this thread gets too big?

Oh yes just realised it, it won't work because there are too many options and the quality of the responses is not taken enough into account

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:17:13 PM

What happens when the blockchain gets bigger? we will all be rich with Bitcoin so will be able to afford the new technology obviously.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
CozyLife

Activity: 84

Theymos, unban my account.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 04:38:58 PM

Either it'll become centralized with only a handful of people having the Blockchain, or if the currency stays legitimate, the developers will figure out a way to condense old transactions. For instance, you could stop confirmations at a point where it's obviously safe. Therefore, creating a break in the blockchain. How you'd pull this off is beyond me, though.

Due to an article that BitcoinTalk didn't like that I wrote on CCN, my account is banned. Theymos refuses to reply to my request for hearing his side of the story instead of banning my account. Please sign my petition to get Theymos to unban my account. Thank you.
Skeksis

Activity: 66

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:48:36 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2015, 11:49:59 AM by Skeksis

When it becomes too big the world will end.

Seriously, nothing will happen. Regular people don't need the entire thing anyway.

1JHTYGDRqfpt5Vaw4pMuNPCdURje6Tymau
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: