Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:58:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux vs Windows:Which is the best for Mining CryptoNote  (Read 2836 times)
youbob (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:31:09 AM

I mining for CrptoNote base coins just for fun. Over some time now I have been playing around with some of the most popular Altcoins over the period of 2 months, and it has earn me a huge $80 Wow Much Dollar. Nothing fancy at all. I'm just trying to see how can I push my computer to earn even more btc in exchanges, while trying to break any of my current time records. Here is my computer.

Processors- 8
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor    : 3999.97MHz
16gb of ram (max is 32gb)
GTX560Ti 1GB 1024MB DDR3 384bit Nvidia
1 Tb hdd.. Slowing my system down sadly 

OS Window 7 (because you can't pay me to use Windows 8 or 8.1)
$800 some odd dollars After Taxes.

That's just a rough look of it in specs, This rig is all customs, meaning you might not find her in a Best Buy computer section, but non the less my computer currently is my first built rig, and I'm happy of what I got. However, it's not a mining rig. Sure I could beef up the GPU system! maybe I could gut out my motherboard of it's nice black glow-in-the-dark case, and trade it out for a shopping cart basket, with 4 video cards suspended over the rims; if I had the money!

Using what I have, my only options for mining altcoins is surrounded by my CPUs. The idea in the past was to jump on these script coin early enough to gain as many as I could, then wait for the market to reach it's peak and dump all of my coins for the exchange of bitcoins. It's still the same strategy today, but with CryptoNote base coins, there seems to be more bitcoin to be made out of them(That's my opinion)..

The mining software that I use comes from Minergate website. It's fast and easy to set up, and works on the 3 main OS's out the Window, Mac, and Ubuntu Linux.

Mining on Windows 7 can get me hash rates of 210 to 225 depending on what is running in the background of my computer. Running Minergate in safemode is even fast 250 hs. My cpu temps all stay with in the range of 32* C; I'm not 100% sure that reading is accurate in safe mode, considering I can't pull up my PC temp software under that mode. This at a time would earn me about .001 btcoin a day, depending on what coin you decide to mine for, and the time of the exchange.

Now Minergate has this new GPU feather that doubles my Hash Rate!! 510 is the best I can do right now as I hope they do come out with a more stable software version. ( DO NOT MINE WITH GPU MODE ON IN SAFE MODE I don't think you can control your computer temperature in safe mode)

For the longest time I had totally forgot about Linux. After all I have been working with pc repair for more than 10 years, and I found Linux to be the best OS to install in my very own computer. There's only a few things that kept me from committing 100% of my time with Linux. One being Love to play First-Person-shooter games, and they would only be available on Windows base computers. This current pc was built back in 2012, before that I only had a simple single core amd computer, with an 80 gb hard drive, Can't even keep A dual partition of Linux and Windows on my Pc, I would always find my self running out of room in no time.

Once after the newest of my computer started to ware away, and I stop playing games. I then started to think about taking a look at Linux for Mining. I know Linux (Ubuntu in the case) doesn't eat up a ton of memory like windows does. So as I started to cut away at the programs running in the background of my pc, I began to look at the option of just doing away from Windows entirely.

I decided to load up Ubuntu Linux on to my USB drive. Once it was loaded I looked at the feature of installing it to my computer. At first I really just wanted to install it on my USB drive, but then something new had been in place of what I was use to. I could now install Linux side-by-side with Windows 7 without having to format the whole entire hard drive. Installing Ubuntu and its update took less than 45 mins at the most. I ran minergate with all of the CPU selected, and started mining at 380 to 410. I was super happy at what I saw.

To understand this. Mining in Windows 7 Can get you about 250 at the most, and I wouldn't bother mining in safemode, that's if you don't mind mining blinds, without knowing your cpu temperature.

It just makes since. Mine in Linux instead with windows get more coins. Ubuntu Linux is totally free to download, and install without having to reformat your whole entire hard drive.

Sorry if this post was long winded... But that's my story. I will provide pictures for proof if this topic takes off, or if people want to know more on what I'm doing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: