Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:59:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet infrastructure "needs updating or more blackouts will happen"  (Read 848 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:55:18 AM

Internet infrastructure "needs updating or more blackouts will happen"

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/14/internet-infrastructure-needs-updating-more-blackouts-will-happen

<< As more devices are used to surf the web, "Border Gateway Protocol" pathways are too numerous for older routers to handle. >>
Gargulan

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:05:27 AM

Internet infrastructure is location based.

South Korea, China, and Japan are way ahead of everyone in term of connection speed and market penetration.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:33:44 AM

Internet infrastructure is location based.

South Korea, China, and Japan are way ahead of everyone in term of connection speed and market penetration.

The UK is in the dark ages compared to Japan when it comes to internet infrastructure.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:56:10 AM

"Some parts of America have already adopted the new address system but the UK is playing catch up. Sky, Virgin and BT have already issued some wifi boxes to their residential customers capable of using it, and Virgin is running both systems in parallel, but none of the companies has entirely made the switch."

Wow... so the big, clunky, expensive, dedicated routers in the UK are almost as technologically advanced as an end-of-life $2-used cell phone. Cheesy
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:12:04 AM

Isolated Internet Outages Caused By BGP Spike

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8387/isolated-internet-outages-caused-by-bgp-spike

<<  The day was Tuesday, August 12th 2014. I arrived home, only to find an almost unusable internet situation in my home. Some sites such as AnandTech and Google worked fine, but large swaths of the internet such as Microsoft, Netflix, and many other sites were unreachable. As I run my own DNS servers, I assumed it was a DNS issue, however a couple of ICMP commands later and it was clear that this was a much larger issue than just something affecting my household.

Two days later, and there is a pretty clear understanding of what happened. Older Cisco core internet routers with a default configuration only allowed for a maximum 512k routes for their Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) tables. With the internet always growing, the number of routes surpassed that number briefly on Tuesday, which caused many core routers to be unable to route traffic. >>
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: