Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:25:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Capital Control  (Read 2265 times)
ZeroSum

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:25:11 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2014, 12:36:46 PM by ZeroSum

How would capital controls work in the bitcoin era?

Right now, we have restrictions on how much FX an individual can transfer out of India. Since banks and authorized forex dealers are about the only way a person can procure FX, the government is able to monitor this.

Once bitcoins are easily available, what prevents a person from buying BTC and sending them across to another person outside India. Would you need an established and trusted 'hawala' operator to transfer funds outside India?

Here I'm assuming your 'capital control' in negative connotation. Okay?
'Black Money' makes approximately 51% of our GDP which makes mandatory for government to control capital flight. Usually, capital control is done by controlling transfer of money and monitoring it to find illegal activity. Accessing 'black money' is simple in India, but clearing them internationally is almost impossible. Our government executes controls capital by controlling transfer. When it comes to Bitcoin, 'black bitcoin' is inaccessible to most of people which is needed for capital flight. I believe, government cannot control transfer for Bitcoins but then can control out access to it. Therefore, in future, they'll limit access/monitor for capital control which will be done by regulating Buysellbitco.in, Unocoin.com, Igot.com etc. Simple to execute then said!

In a long run, miners will help do it.

Cheers,
ZeroSum Believer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:11:39 AM

Right now, we have restrictions on how much FX an individual can transfer out of India. Since banks and authorized forex dealers are about the only way a person can procure FX, the government is able to monitor this.

Once bitcoins are easily available, what prevents a person from buying BTC and sending them across to another person outside India. Would you need an established and trusted 'hawala' operator to transfer funds outside India?

'Black Money' makes approximately 51% of our GDP which makes mandatory for government to control capital flight. Usually, capital control is done by controlling transfer of money and monitoring it to find illegal activity. Accessing 'black money' is simple in India, but clearing them internationally is almost impossible. Our government executes controls capital by controlling transfer. When it comes to Bitcoin, 'black bitcoin' is inaccessible to most of people which is needed for capital flight. I believe, government cannot control transfer for Bitcoins but then can control out access to it. Therefore, in future, they'll limit access/monitor for capital control which will be done by regulating Buysellbitco.in, Unocoin.com, Igot.com etc. Simple to execute then said!

Cheers,
ZeroSum Believer

I believe it would be difficult to segregate bitcoins into 'black' and 'white'. There effectively would be a premium for bitcoins bought in exchanges and sold for 'cash'. It would be very difficult for the government to track the flow of bitcoins from exchanges.
ZeroSum

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:10:40 AM

Cheers,
ZeroSum Believer

I believe it would be difficult to segregate bitcoins into 'black' and 'white'. There effectively would be a premium for bitcoins bought in exchanges and sold for 'cash'. It would be very difficult for the government to track the flow of bitcoins from exchanges.

Edan Yago at work! It is very very very easy for government to track flow of Bitcoin from exchange(s). Among all, you must have known my friend.
polynesia (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:24:52 PM

Cheers,
ZeroSum Believer

Edan Yago at work! It is very very very easy for government to track flow of Bitcoin from exchange(s). Among all, you must have known my friend.

I doubt it is going to be easy once people stop hoarding coins and actually start using them. Plus there are always mixing services.
ZeroSum

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:37:10 PM

I doubt it is going to be easy once people stop hoarding coins and actually start using them. Plus there are always mixing services.

How done done hawala with aid and consent of bank manager? I've done during last election. My point- you can keep anonymity using tor, how many else can do that? Their will always be financial illiteracy, technology illiteracy, mixing service illiteracy and other illiteracy in making. These are services for few not masses.

Ask yourself, in what proportion you've used mixing services for transactions done?
BTCIndia

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:39:12 AM

How done done hawala with aid and consent of bank manager? I've done during last election. My point- you can keep anonymity using tor, how many else can do that? Their will always be financial illiteracy, technology illiteracy, mixing service illiteracy and other illiteracy in making. These are services for few not masses.

Ask yourself, in what proportion you've used mixing services for transactions done?

Kanoon kay haath bhout lambe hote hai, dost. You must not confess publicly.  Grin

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: