Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:43:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selfless love...  (Read 4031 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 02:23:07 AM

"Selfless love would have to mean that you derive no personal pleasure or happiness from the company and the existence of the person you love, and that you are motivated only by self-sacrificial pity for that person’s need of you. I don’t have to point out to you that no one would be flattered by, nor would accept, a concept of that kind. Love is not self-sacrifice, but the most profound assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love, and that is the greatest compliment, the greatest tribute you can pay to that person."

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:02:33 AM

What a pile of horsecrap.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 03:14:10 AM

I am disappointed, cbeast. I thought you would give me some insight.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:44:03 AM

I am disappointed, cbeast. I thought you would give me some insight.
I was being polite.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 05:38:47 AM

Shut up, Atlas.

guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 06:34:21 AM

There are some who say there is no such thing as a "selfless act" - all acts are, at their root, selfish, for the basic reasons in the quote in the OP.

I'm not sure I agree, but there are certainly compelling arguments to make either way.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 12:06:21 PM

"Selfless love would have to mean that you derive no personal pleasure or happiness from the company and the existence of the person you love, and that you are motivated only by self-sacrificial pity for that person’s need of you. I don’t have to point out to you that no one would be flattered by, nor would accept, a concept of that kind. Love is not self-sacrifice, but the most profound assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love, and that is the greatest compliment, the greatest tribute you can pay to that person."

No.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 06:50:28 PM

No.

Why?

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

No.

Why?

Because you, and/or whomever it is you are quoting, are confusing love with the byproducts of love which arise when the ego (hence, selfish) gets involved.

Something similar would be like saying "love hurts."  No, it doesn't.  Jealousy, anger, frustration, etc. are some of these hurtful byproducts.

Another similar example is like saying "I'm worried about you because I care about you," but worrying about someone and giving care to someone are two completely different things.

All of these negative byproducts (jealousy, anger, frustration, worry, etc.) and even the positive ones (lust, pleasure, etc.) are not love.   If you experience these and think it's love, you are wrong.  These byproducts are intense but shallow; love is subtle but deep.  Because  the byproducts (the derivations) are intense, they are what are often noticed; because love is subtle, it is not often noticed in it's purest form and rather it is confused like in your quote.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:50:27 PM

Because you, and/or whomever it is you are quoting, are confusing love with the byproducts of love which arise when the ego (hence, selfish) gets involved.

Something similar would be like saying "love hurts."  No, it doesn't.  Jealousy, anger, frustration, etc. are some of these hurtful byproducts.

Another similar example is like saying "I'm worried about you because I care about you," but worrying about someone and giving care to someone are two completely different things.

All of these negative byproducts (jealousy, anger, frustration, worry, etc.) and even the positive ones (lust, pleasure, etc.) are not love.   If you experience these and think it's love, you are wrong.  These byproducts are intense but shallow; love is subtle but deep.  Because  the byproducts (the derivations) are intense, they are what are often noticed; because love is subtle, it is not often noticed in it's purest form and rather it is confused like in your quote.

Stop making sense. You'll overload his circuitry. He's only built for pointless endless loops.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:53:58 PM

He's only built for pointless endless loops.

He should be your new avatar, then.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:54:32 PM

He's only built for pointless endless loops.

He should be your new avatar, then.

Touché, sir. Touché.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:57:39 PM

No.

Why?

What is love then? Unicorn dust? Absolute self-sacrifice?

You do it because you value the person, period. It's selfish.

Caring for someone is a selfish act: You want to maintain the person's existent for your satisfaction. You will be upset otherwise.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:02:39 PM

Caring for someone is a selfish act: You want to maintain the person's existent for your satisfaction. You will be upset otherwise.

You can't have it both ways.

You: I don't need anyone.

2 minutes later

You: Can you guys please explain life to me? Pweeeaze?

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:11:57 PM

No.

Why?

Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.  The more a person loves himself, the more content they are and they will shift their focus naturally from wanting to make themselves happy to wanting to make others happy.  People who love themselves more are happier and act less selfishly -- people who do not love themselves are not as happy and act more selfishly.

Remember when I said projection is not only a defense mechanism, but also a truism?  This is a perfect example of that.  When you are less and less happy, the "love" you show will be more and more selfish.  When you are more and more happy, the love you show will be more and more selfless.  This is because your attitude inside is projected outward.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:14:50 PM

All we are arguing is about the word selfless. I think it's retarded.

True selflessness is death; you don't exist. Yes, I love seeing people happy but that's not selfless. I selfishly enjoy bringing joy to people's faces. It includes ME. I am not out of the equation.

That's all I am saying.

MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:16:32 PM

Who loves bitcoin?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:16:48 PM

I don't really blame Atlas personally for being a douschebag. I see a lot of this beatnik type lost generation that endured a decade of senseless war, recession, and raised by the "Me" generation ex-hippie hypocrites. The best advice I can give anyone that has been a survivor is "fuck-it, it ain't worth worrying about." Make a plan and stick to it. Ignore the fucktards, and drive it like you stole it.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:19:22 PM

I love being a "douchebag" because it gets what I put my mind to.

Everyone else is just jelly because I don't act like a weakling and let them stomp all over me. That's what we call selflessness.

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:21:38 PM

Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.

Love sounds robotic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: