Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:20:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selfless love...  (Read 4031 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:13:52 PM

Well, plenty of nonsense gets published in books. So I wouldn't take that as fact.

I agree completely.  However Christopher Langan has a tested IQ above 180 (he broke the ceiling on a normed IQ test administered by 20/20, the researcher was quoted to say that he's never seen anybody ever test so high in his 25 years of psychometric testing; it was published in a Popular Science magazine article called "Smartest Man in America").  And while Langan seems like kind of a dick, and while a high IQ means nothing in terms of fabricating information, my guess is that he didn't need to make up a region of the brain just to add an extra line to a 100 page book.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:14:21 PM

Well, would you maintain this compassion even if someone became a murderer?

Yes, and I have.  I've worked with murderers at my job.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:21:11 PM

Well, plenty of nonsense gets published in books. So I wouldn't take that as fact.

I agree completely.  However Christopher Langan has a tested IQ above 180 (he broke the ceiling on a normed IQ test administered by 20/20, the researcher was quoted to say that he's never seen anybody ever test so high in his 25 years of psychometric testing; it was published in a Popular Science magazine article called "Smartest Man in America").  And while Langan seems like kind of a dick, and while a high IQ means nothing in terms of fabricating information, my guess is that he didn't need to make up a region of the brain just to add an extra line to a 100 page book.

Right, but the research may be flawed to begin with, the uncertainty and alternative interpretations ignored, conclusions exaggerated, etc. This is not uncommon. In fact it is pretty much expected. Due to selection and publication bias, I say there is 80% chance any given published result is a false positive. This doesn't make it uninteresting, just inconclusive. I would like to look at the research he is referring to though. I am sure meditation does have some effect on brain function.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:22:35 PM

And would you say this type of love is an end in itself, inherent to oneself, or is it chosen as a means?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:23:28 PM

Right, but the research may be flawed to begin with, the uncertainty and alternative interpretations ignored, conclusions exaggerated, etc. This is not uncommon. In fact it is pretty much expected. Due to selection and publication bias, I say there is 80% chance any given published result is a false positive. This doesn't make it uninteresting, just inconclusive. I would like to look at the research he is referring to though. I am sure meditation does have some effect on brain function.

PET scans show the dopamine production region lit up like a lightbulb in meditation.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:26:12 PM

And would you say this type of love is an end in itself, inherent to oneself, or is it chosen as a means?

It's an end in itself.  It can be described as "chosen" if one has chosen/intended to systematically dismantle the ego to let love/compassion shine through.  But really, the love and compassion is always there.  It's kind of like the sun on a cloudy day....love/compassion is the sun and all the shit the ego identifies with are the clouds.  People naturally become more loving and compassionate when their ego is passive.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:28:55 PM

I do think there is an inherent compassion with human beings that causes as pain at other's suffering. I do think it does become over-rided by over factors (and in some cases that may be a good thing) but it is still there.
bb113

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:54:07 PM

PET scans show the dopamine production region lit up like a lightbulb in meditation.

Are you sure this was not a dopamine receiving area? Dopamine production occurs in the VTA (ventral tegmental area) and I don't really see any PET studies of this during meditation, although I may have missed it.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 11:57:01 PM

Are you sure this was not a dopamine receiving area? Dopamine production occurs in the VTA (ventral tegmental area) and I don't really see any PET studies of this during meditation, although I may have missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vefh5e05d7A
bb113

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 12:23:10 AM

Yea he says production, but that is not where dopamine is produced. Maybe it is a translation problem. Anyway I can't find the actual data anywhere, just narratives describing it. This makes it pretty useless.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 12:26:50 AM

Yea he says production, but that is not where dopamine is produced. Maybe it is a translation problem. Anyway I can't find the actual data anywhere, just narratives describing it. This makes it pretty useless.

Thanks!  That's good to know.  I'll learn more about it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: