Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:06:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Been here before.  (Read 5130 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:59:02 PM

This is from early 2011. Looks like a tempting shorting opportunity  Wink

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zig12-hourzczsg2011-02-09zeg2011-04-03ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zxzv

Edit: For the benefit of the newer members prices are for XBT/USD not mXBT/USD.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Bitcopia (OP)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:59:19 PM

.....nonsense.......

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

Smiley

In consideration of the many members who have them on ignore, please don't quote the trolls.  Wink

We all know falllling is a broken clock.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 06:08:45 PM

it is a good thing, that i have to hold my coins minimum for 12 months because of tax issues in my country. after a year of holding, every profit is taxed with 0%. that means i have no other choice than hodling till summer 2015. Smiley

What country is this?? If these coins go up another order of magnitude, I'll be looking for relocation opportunities and your country already sounds phenomenal.  Smiley
In the US, if your income is low enough then you do not need to pay capital gains taxes on long term gains (the rate is 0%). I am not 100% sure if these capital gains count towards your income or not for purposes of determining if you qualify for this 0% tax rate on long term capital gains.

There are also other parts of the world that have no taxes on capital gains/investment income regardless of their overall income.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:14:06 PM

This is from early 2011. Looks like a tempting shorting opportunity  Wink

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zig12-hourzczsg2011-02-09zeg2011-04-03ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zxzv

Edit: For the benefit of the newer members prices are for XBT/USD not mXBT/USD.

Nice perspective.
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:32:08 PM

This time can be quite different.

Price at 60 required much less money infusion to hold the price and pump it higher.

At 500, it will require much more money infusion just to keep it stable.

Could have been said of every higher price level to this point.

And it was said. Over and over again. Year after year.

And don't forget the inflation rate keeps falling. It was about 50% yearly when many started to worry about this. Now it is 10%.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:57:31 PM

I remember feeling a similar sentiment in June of last year. The feeling that BTC was over-valued and it would keep falling with no end in sight. I remember speaking with a client over the phone about the continually falling price. It was about $60 and he just had to get rid of his. He couldn't hold it out. I wish I could have encouraged him not to liquidate at that point, but honestly, my spirits were low as well. Fortunately, I held my coins, as always.

After selling the August 2012 mini-crash, I learned my lesson. It really does take a few of these cycles to work up the nerve to hold through one. For those of you who have been through it, there is no convincing necessary. For those of you who haven't been around long enough to have the experiences yourselves, I'm not sure I can convince you. But when you feel the most despair is almost always the best indicator of the bottom.

The bubble's cycle seems to repeat another time, but are we sure that it will continue this way?
How many bubbles will we see?
I think that the value won't reach a sort of stability before completing the adoption worldwide.
When most of the people will know about bitcoins, then the bubbles will end... but it's a very long way.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:07:02 PM

I remember feeling a similar sentiment in June of last year. The feeling that BTC was over-valued and it would keep falling with no end in sight. I remember speaking with a client over the phone about the continually falling price. It was about $60 and he just had to get rid of his. He couldn't hold it out. I wish I could have encouraged him not to liquidate at that point, but honestly, my spirits were low as well. Fortunately, I held my coins, as always.

After selling the August 2012 mini-crash, I learned my lesson. It really does take a few of these cycles to work up the nerve to hold through one. For those of you who have been through it, there is no convincing necessary. For those of you who haven't been around long enough to have the experiences yourselves, I'm not sure I can convince you. But when you feel the most despair is almost always the best indicator of the bottom.

The bubble's cycle seems to repeat another time, but are we sure that it will continue this way?
How many bubbles will we see?
I think that the value won't reach a sort of stability before completing the adoption worldwide.
When most of the people will know about bitcoins, then the bubbles will end... but it's a very long way.

The bubbles will certainly come to an end eventually. This will happen when the adoption cycle is nearing the end. If you think we are near the end of the adoption cycle, then it is fair to say there will not be another shift in price up another order of magnitude. If you don't think we are near the end of the adoption cycle, which I can say with relative certainty that we are not unless something catastrophic happens, then it is fair to assume there will be at least one more price shift up another order of magnitude.

I agree that value won't reach stability until adoption is complete, and I think adoption completion will be no sooner than 2020.
supert

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:00:25 PM

You can feel this adoption occurring now though, everybody I speak to about bitcoin has already heard about it. It's no longer as 'edgy'. Yet, very few people have any. The one friend I know who bought some, forgot the pw to his wallet.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

You can feel this adoption occurring now though, everybody I speak to about bitcoin has already heard about it. It's no longer as 'edgy'. Yet, very few people have any. The one friend I know who bought some, forgot the pw to his wallet.

Most people have now heard of it but few people own any because, essentially, the only thing they're good for is speculating and online games of chance. I take that as a sign that adoption is stalling, and the market prices seems to back me up.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

Good thread! It is amazing how much more I enjoy reading posts by older members than those who have joined after 2013 Smiley Usually, those newer members are a lot more bearish. Of course, If you don't understand bitcoin and only watch the price, it will drive you nuts.

I think you are just much more calm, when you are still sitting on 100x ROI even when the price drops by 20%. I understand the fear on one hand from the newbies. That is why everyone tells you only to invest what you can afford to lose.

While this is true now, you must consider we were all newbies at one point. The difference is the newbies that freak out and panic in times like these can't make it. They don't really get what's happening with Bitcoin, and they liquidate their position at a loss. This happens through every cycle. Those newbies from 2010, 2011, and 2012 aren't here anymore. The hero and legendary members you see today sitting on considerable valuations of coins kept their heads through the tough times. It's not like it was any easier for them the first time around. If anything it was more difficult, because there was much more uncertainty.

I agree that new members and holders of Bitcoin are not used to holding threw the drops.  That is the time when holders are separated from weak hand and I myself have learned my lesson.  It sucks you can't just upload this experience into the minds of newer members.  +1 for inspiring posts/thread, with all the fud around it's truly nice to read.

Why would you want to do that? Weak hands is what separates the poor from the rich Smiley

Well for one reason the market would be alot more stable and then more people would hop on the train.  I understand where your coming from however.   Wink

You really can notice the topic being more approachable by people who have heard about it once or twice.  I'm just waiting for when I see that spark in their eyes and they wan to invest or atleast learn more.
dontbugme

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:10:30 AM

https://i.imgur.com/8hXo0Z1.png
EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:25:31 AM

I've been following Bitcoin since mid 2011, so for 3 years; however, just recently (January 2014) have I started to have interest in holding BTC, and in March officially started to hold BTC.

From there I've purchased at 400, I've purchased at 350, I've purchased at 580, I've purchased at 650. My BTC are never going to be traded for fiat directly, unless it's through some company like BitPay -- even then, I'm still sending BTC, getting a service, and the fiat transfer is on the back end between BitPay and the merchant.

I'll be holding. Some days I'll like holding. Some days I won't.

I've got 20 paper wallets loaded with some BTC on them, each more than a 100$ likewise sitting next to them. Silly how that little Piper receipt is worth more to me than a nicely printed 100$ bill. Shame how the 100$ bill is worthless though.

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:20:34 AM

When Bitcoin dropped from 32 to 2, I thought it's over, nothing in the sane world would be able to get back from there.

Take that as the biggest come back. As long as nothing wrong with the technical, no competitions in the same league, US/EU/China/USSR not agree to ban bitcoin at the same time, it's just the matter of time for the next rally.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:27:49 AM

When Bitcoin dropped from 32 to 2, I thought it's over, nothing in the sane world would be able to get back from there.

Take that as the biggest come back. As long as nothing wrong with the technical, no competitions in the same league, US/EU/China/USSR not agree to ban bitcoin at the same time, it's just the matter of time for the next rally.

Meanwhile it will take some time for the market to recover, anyways did not see the price at that time but sure as heck not selling now, well in the green ^^ but you know waiting for that next rally too.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:01:28 AM

Silly how that little Piper receipt is worth more to me than a nicely printed 100$ bill. Shame how the 100$ bill is worthless though.

$100 bill is worthless? not worth much, but it'll buy me a couple dinners. if you're comparing the paper wallet to $100, how much BTC is on it? i'll tell you which has more purchasing power. Roll Eyes
Skoupi

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:22:14 AM

Many believe in the next rally but few do something for that rally to happen. Some believe that they help bitcoin by simply holding on their coins.
You should invest your coins in people and businesses that will make bitcoin user friendly.

Bitcoin as it is now exists for geeks and geeks only. Unless that changes noone will invest more money in bitcoin. The geek adoption phase is over.
Sevvero

Merit: 255

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:52:43 AM

anything below 600 is a great price to buy. now? a no brainer, just basically free money for you. worrying? let fallling and other trolls do that, I'm fine Smiley

But it is below 500 already, what do you think?

Based on the price action in the last 2 weeks, it won't surprise me if we see 200-300 again.

The question will then be, is 200-300 a good buy or is it going to down further?

it's going to nowhere but down! believe or not, bitcoin game over
buy more lose more
me fail english?
that's umpossible
Sevvero

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

anything below 600 is a great price to buy. now? a no brainer, just basically free money for you. worrying? let fallling and other trolls do that, I'm fine Smiley
Show technical and fundamental analysis that made you come to this conclusion please.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:09:02 AM

Show technical and fundamental analysis that made you come to this conclusion please.

Perhaps, you should study yourself and not just ask for easy answers..

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
Sevvero

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:15:36 AM

Perhaps, you should study yourself and not just ask for easy answers..
What a convenient answer.
I was not the one claiming that fact.
The one who claims the fact should support it with references and studies.
Where are they?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: