Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is the general consensus for case of "Bitcoin?"
Bitcoin - 41 (93.2%)
BitCoin - 3 (6.8%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper case of Bitcoin client  (Read 2570 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:00:05 PM

What is the general consensus for case of "Bitcoin?"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:06:13 PM

Well, according to the software itself, it's "Bitcoin".
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:06:29 PM

In Satoshi's original paper he used the style Bitcoin.
http://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Anonymous

May 06, 2011, 02:07:39 PM

What is this "BitCoin" you speak of ?  Smiley
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:09:43 PM

What is this "BitCoin" you speak of ?  Smiley

It is the gross abuse of the spelling that has been established by several users who seem to have not recognized that the spelling was "Bitcoin."  I therefore established this poll to help provide better awareness of the issue.  See http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7269.msg108845#msg108845 for one example.
BitterTea

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:28:49 PM

Does it really matter? I think eMansipator has a valid point, it can get confusing if you don't know whether one is talking about the client software or the currency units.
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:49:08 PM

Does it really matter? I think eMansipator has a valid point, it can get confusing if you don't know whether one is talking about the client software or the currency units.

I think it matters.

"Bitcoin" is easily recognizable as an alternative to "bitcoin" and it isn't necessary to use the nonstandard or unofficial variation of "BitCoin."  What would be the reason for capital C?

Perhaps for related naming schemes these would be appropriate also then?

MoZilla FireFox
MicroSoft InterNet ExPlorer
AdoBe PhotoShop
GnuMeric
AbiWord
AudaCity
RhythmBox
KonQueror
djoot

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 04:43:22 PM

I think it matters.

"Bitcoin" is easily recognizable as an alternative to "bitcoin" and it isn't necessary to use the nonstandard or unofficial variation of "BitCoin."  What would be the reason for capital C?

MoZilla FireFox
AdoBe PhotoShop
GnuMeric
AbiWord
AudaCity
RhythmBox
KonQueror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AbiWord
BitterTea

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 04:45:14 PM

I think it matters.

MoZilla FireFox
AdoBe PhotoShop
GnuMeric
AbiWord
AudaCity
RhythmBox
KonQueror

What detrimental effect does miscapitalization of a single letter cause? I really don't think it's going to confuse anybody.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 04:58:17 PM

What detrimental effect does miscapitalization of a single letter cause? I really don't think it's going to confuse anybody.

No but most want to know the "right" way:
  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7311.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 01:32:55 AM

I think it matters.

MoZilla FireFox
AdoBe PhotoShop
GnuMeric
AbiWord
AudaCity
RhythmBox
KonQueror

The same reason just five days ago my mom was bursting into tears* in utter frustration and disappointment that Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! misspelled her name with a 'C' instead of an 'S' even after just twenty-nine seconds prior my mom had communicated to Amy Goodman that her name is specifically spelled with an 'S.'  Spelling and capitalization is important and serious business.

* Note that my mom was already bursting into tears and in utter frustration and disappointment in me because she saw my facial expression in reaction to the amazingness of Amy Goodman's talk and she was jealous and mad at me that she hadn't established a similar reaction from me due to her not being as amazing.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 01:38:03 AM

I have adopted using Bitcoin to refer to the project itself and BTC to refer to the currency.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 03:57:55 AM

"BitCoin" is wrong, since the software doesn't use that capitalization. Creators define capitalization, and people concerned about correctness will use that capitalization. Examples: eNom, TWiT, FastMail.FM, BitTorrent.

The Chicago Manual of Style strongly implies that "trademark" names should be left with unmodified capitalization:
Brand names or names of companies that are spelled with a
lowercase initial letter (eBay, iMac, etc.) pose a problem if they
begin a sentence in normal prose. Chicago recommends either
capitalizing the first letter in that position or, better, recasting the
sentence so the name does not appear at the beginning.
Company or product names with an internal capital immediately
following, and followed by, a lowercase letter (“midcap”) should
be left unchanged (WordPerfect, HarperCollins, SmithKline
Beecham).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
eMansipater

Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 07:42:47 AM

"BitCoin" has no historical basis.  As theymos and others point out, the software calls itself "Bitcoin".  The original paper is titled "Bitcoin" and refers to "coins".  Here on the forums, Satoshi interchanged both the capitalised 'B' and uncapitalised 'b' versions for the technology, the software and both plural and singular versions of the currency:  I know because I checked before I decided to start using "BitCoin" in my own posts.  I wasn't trying to be correct, I was just creating an arbitrary convention for readability like the one FatherMcGruder proposed in December.  I'm not overly attached to it, but it does have the advantage of being unambiguous at the beginning of a sentence.  Consider, for example:

Bitcoin rates exceeded....(exchange rates)
BitCoin rates exceeded....(network transaction volumes)

Bitcoin trading could mean exchanging USD for btc
BitCoin trading could mean a type of commerce based on encoding contracts and other data into scripted transactions.

Bitcoin domain names could refer to domain names whose market value is approximately one btc, as in "penny stocks" while
BitCoin domain names could refer to domain names stored in the blockchain via a bitDNS scheme

etc.

For something that has the air of officialness like the "Introduction to Bitcoin/BitCoin" thread I'm quite happy to use whatever the prevailing wisdom prefers.  I do think it's quite reasonable for an open-source project/community to change their conventions for practical purposes should they so desire, but maintaining a creator's original capitalisation is also of social value in the respect that it signifies, etc.  As I say above, I'm not overly attached to my usage.  The readability issue really only comes into play when trying to differentiate technology from singular btc at the beginning of a sentence.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: