Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:49:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it actually possible to ban P2P networks?  (Read 2263 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:21:29 PM

Have any countries had any success stopping this -- ever? -- at the routing level?

And what would it mean for Bitcoin if "P2P" were essentially banned?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 02:32:13 PM

The internet is a peer to peer network.
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 03:09:14 PM

Okay fair enough but with regard to networks such as Bitcoin, or any of the P2P file sharing networks... ?
Vasili Sviridov

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 04:48:06 PM

The only way to fully "ban" a peer-to-peer network is to prevent communication between all of it's nodes.

One of the design goals of the Internet was resilience to such measures. Being able to continue to work as a whole, even if some parts are destroyed or somehow disrupted.

tl;dr - No.

1JHYtsmsGq2McwGHmWayVjVtHds8rp1R5
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:12:20 AM

Tor is blocked in China if you don't use a bridge.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
anisoptera

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:38:00 AM

Tor is blocked in China if you don't use a bridge.

So what you're saying is that China doesn't block Tor.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 05:00:45 AM

They also block most bridges, since the Tor bridge distribution method is weak. Tor is pretty difficult to access in China. And this is a project with the goal of providing uncensored Internet -- other projects don't have a chance.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
anisoptera

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 05:03:26 AM

They also block most bridges

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 05:34:52 AM

They also block most bridges

Cheesy  Karma point +1 for you my friend!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 05:44:23 AM

The problem with Tor is that they give out bridges ip addresses for free, the process of collecting bridge ip's to ban them is fully automated at this point.

Also the Chinese government has far more resources that the Tor project.

If there was a cost to get a bridge ip(especially in bitcoin) then the government couldn't do anything, well they could but it would cost money, money which would be used against them.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 06:42:02 AM

The problem with Tor is that they give out bridges ip addresses for free, the process of collecting bridge ip's to ban them is fully automated at this point.

If there was a cost to get a bridge ip(especially in bitcoin) then the government couldn't do anything, well they could but it would cost money, money which would be used against them.

very clever...so anyone of us could setup a tor bridge and then sell to chinese for bitcoin!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 08:13:58 AM

Tor is easier to block because the default install doesn't work as entry node / "bridge".

With a homogeneous P2P network such as Bitcoin it's much harder, as every node can be used as entrance into the system.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 08:54:54 AM

very clever...so anyone of us could setup a tor bridge and then sell to chinese for bitcoin!

To an extent this is the same as providing a VPN service (but lower quality), so the price won't want to be too high. Although I'm not sure, when you set yourself up as a node if you are automatically added to tors list of public nodes or not.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 04:20:48 PM

To an extent this is the same as providing a VPN service (but lower quality), so the price won't want to be too high. Although I'm not sure, when you set yourself up as a node if you are automatically added to tors list of public nodes or not.

Only bridges are not added to the public list of Tor nodes. Relays and exit nodes are publicly known.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Rena

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 10:56:26 PM

I haven't used Tor or read much about how it works, but I'd heard it's rather poorly designed and has had a few security issues in the past. If that's the case, it's more an example of a system with design flaws that got used against it than a successful blocking of P2P in general.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:02:34 PM

I haven't used Tor or read much about how it works, but I'd heard it's rather poorly designed and has had a few security issues in the past. If that's the case, it's more an example of a system with design flaws that got used against it than a successful blocking of P2P in general.

I heard that the moon is made of cheese
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:19:54 PM

It's not poorly designed at all. Tor is very well thought through by some very smart cryptology experts. There are some possible attack angles, but they usually have to do with 3rd party programs revealing your IP address (for example, a Java applet in your web browser), not design flaws in the Tor system itself.

Other attacks are completely academic and require control over the entire internet to work.

There is a lot of panic mongering and mud-throwing around Tor, but of the P2P anonimization programs it is still the most proven of the bunch.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 12:17:21 AM

It's not poorly designed at all. Tor is very well thought through by some very smart cryptology experts. There are some possible attack angles, but they usually have to do with 3rd party programs revealing your IP address (for example, a Java applet in your web browser), not design flaws in the Tor system itself.

Other attacks are completely academic and require control over the entire internet to work.

There is a lot of panic mongering and mud-throwing around Tor, but of the P2P anonimization programs it is still the most proven of the bunch.

ToR just f8ing works.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2011, 01:31:13 AM

I heard that the moon is made of cheese

I'm so there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: