Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 02:40:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nxt hacker could be world's first trillionaire  (Read 1207 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:28:16 AM

So apparently now a hacker owns 5 percent of all Nxt that will ever exist. This is a greater amount than any of the original 73 stakeholders ever had. Heck, this is an even greater figure than the percentage of bitcoins that Satoshi will own once Bitcoin is fully mined (we're already over 60 percent there!).

Everyone likes to say that once Bitcoin goes mainstream, Satoshi will become the world's first trillionaire. There is also speculation that Nxt will replace Bitcoin as the dominant crypto. But if this ever happens, it seems likely that a hacker - not Satoshi would be the world's first trillionaire.

Even worse, because of the way Nxt is designed, now that a hacker has the world's largest Nxt stake, he will also gain more coins via forging. For every 20 transactions you make within the Nxt ecosystem, one would be directly benefiting the hacker via transaction fees.

On the positive side, Nxt still has a vibrant community and a skilled dev team. It is also the most established of the second generation alts and the only one to have a functioning asset exchange. Yesterday's hack was without a doubt, the biggest setback that the Nxt community and ecosystem has ever experienced in its 10 month history.

How will Nxt be able to recover from this incident? Will things ever be the same?
Rofo
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 09:29:49 AM

Last I heard he took off with 500BTC too, that was just a random #coinmarkets comment though I didn't follow up on so not sure. Hacking pays..

I genuinely hope NXT is fine once the dust settles and keeps moving forward also, just thought I'd say that.. and any decision not to rollback was the right one.

peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

Didn't the idea of reversing the transaction being discussed before?

If there is clear and irrefutable evidence of hack, I don't see why reversing the transaction is a big deal.
alternate

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:35:30 AM

If my memory is still work,i think MTG have been stolen 200K btc...
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:36:08 AM

Very sensationalist.  5% of a coin and to be a trillionaire would require NXT to be worth $20 trillion.   A more realistic estimation is that crypto currencies will be worth maybe $1 trillion in 10 years and split between several coins.

So yes some hacker could be Bill Gates' wealthy but who's assuming they will be a "hodl"?  More probable that they'll sell at some point and then the coins would redistribute themselves through the userbase.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
robhimself

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Calling out scams, one HYIP at a time...

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:53:30 AM

I could win the Powerball lottery the next 5000 times it runs and become the world's first trillionaire. Make a thread about that too!

mikhael

Activity: 317
Merit: 317

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:14:27 PM

I don't believe that the hacker would become a trillionaire someday.

Easy money: easy come, easy go.
Deviant1

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:02:11 PM

Even if the hacker kept the 50m and was able to use them, he wouldn't have been the only one with that many NXT. It's a moot point regardless because the NXT has been returned now. Of course, some of the other 50m+ NXT holders could still become trillionaires  Wink
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:05:45 PM

So apparently now a hacker owns 5 percent of all Nxt that will ever exist. This is a greater amount than any of the original 73 stakeholders ever had. Heck, this is an even greater figure than the percentage of bitcoins that Satoshi will own once Bitcoin is fully mined (we're already over 60 percent there!).

Everyone likes to say that once Bitcoin goes mainstream, Satoshi will become the world's first trillionaire. There is also speculation that Nxt will replace Bitcoin as the dominant crypto. But if this ever happens, it seems likely that a hacker - not Satoshi would be the world's first trillionaire.

Even worse, because of the way Nxt is designed, now that a hacker has the world's largest Nxt stake, he will also gain more coins via forging. For every 20 transactions you make within the Nxt ecosystem, one would be directly benefiting the hacker via transaction fees.

On the positive side, Nxt still has a vibrant community and a skilled dev team. It is also the most established of the second generation alts and the only one to have a functioning asset exchange. Yesterday's hack was without a doubt, the biggest setback that the Nxt community and ecosystem has ever experienced in its 10 month history.

How will Nxt be able to recover from this incident? Will things ever be the same?

So you believe the market cap of Nxt will be at least 20 Trillion US? That is some true conviction right there. Expecting 20T for Bitcoin is already out there for most people but expecting it for some altcoin ...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: