Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:31:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] Bitcoin Proxy Market  (Read 1681 times)
lulzplzkthx (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 03:05:16 PM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

I'm working on an open source project for a Bitcoin Proxy Market. This will facilitate things such as "I have 5 BTC. I want a $20 Dominos gift card. If you give me a $20 gift card, I'll give you 5 BTC."

The current source can be found here. Feel free to clone the repository and play with it, but it's nowhere near finished. If you want, fork it and add some features or fix something you think could be better.

What I really need right now is some designers who could work on a spiffy layout for it. While the project is GPL'd, I'm going for kind of a reddit thing where I have a website using the script, and anybody can take the script and do what they want with it. It needs a layout, or at least some better CSS design so it doesn't look like horse poop. I would do this myself, but I'm really an awful designer, as you'll see if you look at the code.

If you need help setting it up locally, I'd be glad to help if you have TeamViewer.

If you'd like to see it running somewhere (the part that's done, which isn't much,) let me know, and I'll put it up somewhere.

If you'd like to donate, as I have no income source, and am working on this all day every day, I would love you forever. You can donate here: 1EzsWF8oax5Ai41UWX5SNfUqFei5UhmdoF

~lulzplzkthx

EDIT: This plans to also have an escrow system, and a rating system, and will also use rating from the #bitcoin-otc system.

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 03:58:22 PM

Sorry, one more thing... I'm also trying to gauge interest here. If nobody is interested, I'll discontinue the project as there's no reason wasting my time on it.

So does anyone want to see this, have suggestions on how it could be better, etc?

lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 06:29:00 PM

I take it nobody's interested and will abandon the project.

Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 02:52:35 AM

Hey, don't give up so quicky Wink

I had to think this through a bit on how it might work.

Let anyone post a request, and then send a certain amount of bitcoins to the site, which holds it in escrow - once the proxy buyer submits a "I sent/bought/whatever the thing you wanted, please release the coins. If the person doesn't protest, within a week the coins are released, otherwise it is submitted to a mod to arbitrate.

Maybe integrate it into the WoT?
lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 03:17:08 AM

Hey, don't give up so quicky Wink

I had to think this through a bit on how it might work.

Let anyone post a request, and then send a certain amount of bitcoins to the site, which holds it in escrow - once the proxy buyer submits a "I sent/bought/whatever the thing you wanted, please release the coins. If the person doesn't protest, within a week the coins are released, otherwise it is submitted to a mod to arbitrate.

Maybe integrate it into the WoT?
This was the general idea, and I planned to pull rating from OTC, but I'm not sure how I could put ratings into the WoT. The user would have to verify they are actually the user from OTC by signing a request key similar to the way it works in #bitcoin-otc.

And the escrow was my plan, yes.

But I really don't think anybody is interested, and I can't design for the life of me so it won't really get anywhere past the programming stages even if I continue.

~lulz

singpolyma

Activity: 546
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 03:19:40 AM

This seems like a really interesting idea, but you might want to give more details.  How does this end up being different from bidding pond?  Do people just sign up as "I can proxy buy gift cards for X"?
lulzplzkthx (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 03:00:15 PM

Yes, it would be different from Bidding Pond because while Bidding Pond is an auction site, this is just a quick, easy way to get items proxy purchased for you.

I don't want to bid on my pizza gift card. I'd rather just pay 6 BTC to someone who'll buy it for me.

It would work like this:

1. You see a listing for something you could buy.
2. You go to the listing, check details, ratings.
3. You can choose to hit "I Accept", at which point the auction closes until it's reopened by the buyer.
4. You can start a private messaging chat with the user to get more details, or use a contact option they listed in their description.
5. Once they have received the good, or confirmation of the good, they hit "Filled", and the person who bought the item for the buyer will receive the amount of BTC listed under "Reward".

I also have a little JS calculator on the side for quick conversion between BTC and USD.

Unfortunately, the design is god-awful, and I would need some help with it if I'm to pick this project back up.

~lulz

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: