Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:49:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the quality of altcoins dropped in 2014?  (Read 1010 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:13:34 PM

If you look at the older altcoins, it seems that most* were quite unique in some way. Namecoin had a decentralized DNS, Litecoin was GPU then ASIC resistant with faster transaction times**, Peercoin proved that proof-of-stake can be a viable alternative to proof-of-work, and Primecoin used computational power to identify prime numbers.

Also back then, you didn't have hundreds of altcoins flooding the scene every week. Coingen didn't exist and so every altcoin needed to be crafted by hand by a dev who knew what they were doing. Not many coins were launched solely to make a profit because the money in cryptos was so low that there wasn't much of a profit to be made anyway. Compared to today, more people involved in cryptos back then were hobbyists who weren't looking for a quick buck.

Then came November 2013 and when Bitcoin spiked, altcoins saw explosive growth as well. Soon there were animal coins, country coins, etc. Now take a look at CMC and it's flooded with hundreds of altcoins which don't really offer anything new. Most of them have been declining for much of the year. For example, Kittehcoin, Flappycoin, etc.

So what do you think? Has the average quality of altcoins dropped in 2014? Or was it the same shit back then and have we just forgotten about the ones that didn't make it?

*OK, some weren't quite as innovative. e.g. BBQcoin, Terracoin, Ixcoin, I0coin, Feathercoin, Bytecoin (the last one being a straight-up 1:1 Bitcoin clone). But the point still stands.

**Technically, Tenebrix and Fairbrix were older scrypt coins, but Litecoin was the first successful one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mt. Gox

Activity: 350
Merit: 118

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:33:22 PM

Haha, they were saying the exact same thing back in May 2013:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=218818.0

There were a lot of crappy altcoins before 2014. Definitely not all were innovative. It's just they all died so nobody remembers them anymore. It's kind of like how a lot of people think 70's/80's/90's music is the best but they fail to remember that there were alot of really bad songs from those decades as well.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or anyone else who can HELP ME (e.g. MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS): The next time I wake up, please change my physical form to that of FINN MCMILLAN of SOUTH NEW BRIGHTON at 8 YEARS OLD and keep it that way FOREVER. I am so sick of this chubby Asian man body! Thank you! - CHAUL JHIN KIM (a.k.a. A DESPERATE SOUL) P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray for me! [ www.chauljhin.com ]
Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:45:33 PM

It seems to me that we've seen a lot of "shitcoins". Many coins are built just to get quick rich without any forward bringing advantages.
But nevertheless there are also few "coins" (e.g. NEM as a new movement is not just a simple coin) which make me thinking positive about altcoins
MajidBC

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

KryptKoin is one of the best!!!

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 07:32:12 PM

I've not been in crypto world for a long time, but at least I can say that as far as there are noobs to feed scammers, we'll see this mess going on.
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 07:56:37 PM

The quantity of coins is certainly up

As far as quality there are many quality alt coins but now you just have to sift through a lot more junk to find them.

Really depends on what you are looking for.

If you are not part of the 98% of people involved with alt coins just to earn btc or get rich quick there are many solid alt coins and others in development that probably have a future.

I won't bother to state my opinoin on which these are , i will leave that to you .....

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
MajidBC

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:27:16 PM

There were a lot of crappy altcoins before 2014. Definitely not all were innovative. It's just they all died so nobody remembers them anymore. It's kind of like how a lot of people think 70's/80's/90's music is the best but they fail to remember that there were alot of really bad songs from those decades as well.

The thread is interesting. For instance, here's the second post:
I've never looked into Litecoins, as I just got into Bitcoins, but having both of them seems confusing.

The thread's been created since more than a year ago. It's like studying our precedent's thoughts. By the way, most of the accounts who posted there are still newbie or Jr. Members. They've left the scene long time ago.
MajidBC

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:32:03 PM

The thread is interesting. For instance, here's the second post:
I've never looked into Litecoins, as I just got into Bitcoins, but having both of them seems confusing.

The thread's been created since more than a year ago. It's like studying our precedent's thoughts. By the way, most of the accounts who posted there are still newbie or Jr. Members. They've left the scene long time ago.

Another thing:
The first post until post #30 was written on 29 May 2013, then someone bumped it 5 days ago, and people have been posting there since then.
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:37:36 PM

I would say there are more coins that are unique, but the amount of crapcoins is continuing to grow faster than the total number of unique coins. The worthless coins will die off. The worthy ones will remain.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
MajidBC

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:44:13 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 07:24:17 AM by MajidBC

I would say there are more coins that are unique, but the amount of crapcoins is continuing to grow faster than the total number of unique coins. The worthless coins will die off. The worthy ones will remain.
I totally agree with you. A coin should offer something to except any demand, or it will die a few days after launch or after its pumps and dumps.
Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:37:59 PM

I've not been in crypto world for a long time, but at least I can say that as far as there are noobs to feed scammers, we'll see this mess going on.

I was out for a long time like you. I'm trading much more than I'm talking about new projects here in btt. So actually I'm not that kind of noob you merely see in me  Wink . Think about it, little boy Tongue
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 02:05:20 PM

No, have you been even here?
People back there tried so hard getting their coins adopted and known, now this is just a profiting/scam race. The quantity increased by a tenfold.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:07:04 PM

someone said that it is getting worse every year, he is right, expect a 2015 shitcoinstorm worst than this
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:07:56 PM

The quality of altcoins has never been high. The explosion of altcoin launches has eroded that even more.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:14:07 PM

lets say it like this
there are two phases on Bitcointalk the first phase is BEFORE the glorious AltcoiN DestructoR legend Come-from-Above,  
  then the second phase is AFTER the glorious grand leader AltcoiN DestructoR Come-from-Above the Great Supervisor joined the Bitcointalk.  Since then quality of dem forums has improved drastically.

Expect 2015 to be marvelous cuz all dem shitcoins will have been eradicated by dear supreme leader AltcoiN DestructoR god CfA. Spoetnik Approved™

~CfA™~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: