Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:22:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone really trace you where you are?  (Read 1359 times)
thebenjamincode (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:16:14 PM

Hi guys, I just want to know if it is really possible,
for example, i just posted this comment now and I am just curious if
someone could possibly trace my location?

can someone prove to me that it is possible?
please post my location and ip address if it is true Cheesy
MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:18:21 PM

I think only admin can do this because he has all options about this but no other person can trace you on this forum

CozyLife

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Theymos, unban my account.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 04:57:47 PM

Only the admin has your IP address, but an IP address can only zone in on your general location. Most websites that try to guess mine are often guessing the wrong city even. Now, the MAC based location stuff (Where you're asked by your browser if you wish to share your location) is much more accurate. This is done through the ISP's address they have on file for your MAC Address, IIRC. I'm not sure how you'd get that information from them in the first place, but that does happen.

Due to an article that BitcoinTalk didn't like that I wrote on CCN, my account is banned. Theymos refuses to reply to my request for hearing his side of the story instead of banning my account. Please sign my petition to get Theymos to unban my account. Thank you.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:13:28 PM

True anonymity on the Internet is quite difficult to achieve.

You have to think to whom you want to be anonymous, for me and other forum members you're very much anonymous, we have no way of knowing who you are besides what you make public, forum administrators have access to more information about you, like IP address, this provides an estimate on your location, and for last your ISP, these guys know exactly who you are. Smiley

Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:16:39 AM

Assuming you are not using a TOR client, anybody with access to the router logs used to hop to bitcointalk.org could find out where you are located.

This includes:
Your ISP
Routers used to hop to final destination
Admin of bitcointalk.org
NSA

And...

Any tracking virus or adware.

Google is one that heavily tracks you and your surfing habits so they can use it for the ads programs.

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:26:25 AM

Admins of this forum may need to comply with laws in their country if the government ever want to access some information for legal purposes am I right?

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:26:48 AM

There is actually a company that does look up your blood line.

If I can remember, I`ll link it here. But its a start up company in silicon valley.

Edit: oops, I read the title wrong! i thought you meant trace where you are from lol.
Watoshi-Dimobuto

Activity: 840
Merit: 524

Yes!

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:54:52 AM

If you are using tor they may have hard time tracing you. If you are browsing this forum with your ip it is very easy to trace you.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:05:37 AM

You can guesstimate the location with what's called GeoIP, which generally goes by your ISP's location data. GeoIP data is effectively public since it's so easy to determine, but is frequently wrong, especially if you have a dynamic IP address. For example, though my PC location is static, I'm usually reported as being 50-200 miles from where I was reported to be the day before. Further, without a warrant, your ISP will generally not give the exact location of the user (rather, the address the IP address user is registered to), and GeoIP is extremely vague -- it says something like "Detroit," not "125 W. Monroe St."

Theymos is pretty good about protecting IP information here. He doesn't permit mods to view it, almost never releases it even if the user's a known scammer, and after there was an issue where people were using images to collect IP data, the forum started serving all external images itself (therefor preventing the user from connecting with the original image host).
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:12:13 AM

Only the admin has your IP address, but an IP address can only zone in on your general location. Most websites that try to guess mine are often guessing the wrong city even. Now, the MAC based location stuff (Where you're asked by your browser if you wish to share your location) is much more accurate. This is done through the ISP's address they have on file for your MAC Address, IIRC. I'm not sure how you'd get that information from them in the first place, but that does happen.

Shut the fuck up. You have NO idea what you're talking about at all. MAC addresses literally have nothing to do with tracing location. All they can tell you is hardware manufacture (at fucking best).

Vortex20000

Activity: 504

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 03:18:29 AM

Yes. It's possible.

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:27:21 AM

Of course it's possible.

You don't even have to do a Internet search. I mean, come on. This is densely-graded material.

Just kidding. I don't even know what I just typed.

Anyway, yes, Sir. You can.

Shut the fuck up. You have NO idea what you're talking about at all. MAC addresses literally have nothing to do with tracing location. All they can tell you is hardware manufacture (at fucking best).

D'oh, I thought your MAC address was just something that Apple gave to everyone who owned a technical device. Gotta get that patent out.
Parsons

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:28:44 AM

I have seen people offer staff bounties for IP checks... not sure whether the staff actually fulfil them though.
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:48:21 AM

D'oh, I thought your MAC address was just something that Apple gave to everyone who owned a technical device. Gotta get that patent out.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not. It really seems like a joke, but I've honestly met enough people to know that some are serious.

MAC addresses are 48 bit layer 2 addresses. They're normally burned into the card (they can be spoofed). Pretty much, we see MAC addresses used mostly in switch. Say you have a packet. The packet is suppose to go to 192.168.1.1 [router] from 192.168.1.100 [pc]. So, your computer asks for the MAC address of 192.168.1.1 (because it's in the local network [yes, we're assuming a /24 here]). The switch that is connected to your router is all like "hey bitch, I got dis shit" and your packets hit the switch, then router.

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:54:39 AM

If they by other means manage to get you computer, then the MAC will be a proof you indeed was the source of wharever track you left behind. I wouldn't be confortable to share it.

They can also cross the MAC reference with the manufacturer's sell, but it would be a pain and you need to cause really much trouble or be really bad for people think about doing it

zeeshanblc

Activity: 390

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:02:02 AM

Depends where you live
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:55:32 PM

Some people know who you are, where you are, unless you took great pre-cautions. Your webbrowser could leave a unique fingerprint used to identify you. There are methods to make it very very hard to find out who  you are.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Mars not Moon

Activity: 67

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:56:29 AM

It quite varies on location/country where you live.If you are using no anonymity on connecting to the internet that would be no hard deal to trace out your location even for beginners.
Tual02

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:31:00 AM

Depends where you live
What country is an example Huh
Microbit001

Activity: 63

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 10:23:41 AM

Yes,of course not everybody but people with enough authority could trace out where you are with you IP address Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: