Bitcoin Forum
June 04, 2024, 11:02:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Women earn $0.77 for every $1 men earn.  (Read 6844 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:45:13 PM

This argument has been made popular within the last year or so, and I haven't really done a lot of research into it this time around, but in the past when I saw this brought up, the data had ignored that men just tend to do jobs that are valued more by the market, and it wasn't necessarily an issue of sexism.

What I mean is that men do things like construction, crab fishing, trucking, plumbing, etc., things that women simply choose not to do. This can be because of social norms, but there's probably some biology to it, such as men generally being physically stronger than women and strength being something that's valuable when it comes to, say, lifting heavy shit? Fuck if I know. Anyway, women just don't do these jobs or go for them. Instead, they choose cushy office jobs, and many of them choose to be homemakers whereas fewer men choose cushy office jobs and being homemakers and teachers and shit.

So I'm wondering if this same counterargument applies today. When we talk about women making $0.77 for every $1 a man makes, is it for the same job? Does the study control for other variables?

Just to be clear, here, I completely agree that sexism is a very real problem in our culture, including the workplace. When women are assertive, they're called "bitchy" or "bossy" whereas men are "confident" or "possess leadership qualities" and so forth. I read about one study that showed biases in hiring managers, and even when they were made aware of their biases, they still fail to properly compensate for it. I agree that we live in a culture that blames rape victims for being raped. Etc. It's not much of a stretch for me to buy into this argument about how much women make vs how much men make. But I know that there have been problems with the argument in the past, and I wanna see someone back it up with real data.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:47:03 PM

It's for the same exact job, otherwise it does not make sense...

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:59:28 PM

It's for the same exact job, otherwise it does not make sense...
you just debunked 3 paragraphs with a terse 1 sentence response  Cheesy
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:35:34 PM

This argument has been made popular within the last year or so, and I haven't really done a lot of research into it this time around, but in the past when I saw this brought up, the data had ignored that men just tend to do jobs that are valued more by the market, and it wasn't necessarily an issue of sexism.

What I mean is that men do things like construction, crab fishing, trucking, plumbing, etc., things that women simply choose not to do. This can be because of social norms, but there's probably some biology to it, such as men generally being physically stronger than women and strength being something that's valuable when it comes to, say, lifting heavy shit? Fuck if I know. Anyway, women just don't do these jobs or go for them. Instead, they choose cushy office jobs, and many of them choose to be homemakers whereas fewer men choose cushy office jobs and being homemakers and teachers and shit.

So I'm wondering if this same counterargument applies today. When we talk about women making $0.77 for every $1 a man makes, is it for the same job? Does the study control for other variables?

Just to be clear, here, I completely agree that sexism is a very real problem in our culture, including the workplace. When women are assertive, they're called "bitchy" or "bossy" whereas men are "confident" or "possess leadership qualities" and so forth. I read about one study that showed biases in hiring managers, and even when they were made aware of their biases, they still fail to properly compensate for it. I agree that we live in a culture that blames rape victims for being raped. Etc. It's not much of a stretch for me to buy into this argument about how much women make vs how much men make. But I know that there have been problems with the argument in the past, and I wanna see someone back it up with real data.

Womans allways find a way to start a fight when their  "rights" are wronged, and when its other way around, then its because they are the gentle ones.
I find it stupid in general. If they make less for the same job, then every manager would hire only woman and made profit 23% in one move.
But that isnt the case, which prooves that this is yet another pro women campaign with apsolutely no valid arguments.

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:05:56 PM

Women are less likely to take abuse on a long term basis, fight for a promotion or a raise; they value more a stable life and their social life and they want a family life more than men in average plus they stop working more when they have a child and it is why they are paid a little bit less, surprisingly not that much less
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:26:50 AM

Women are less likely to take abuse on a long term basis, fight for a promotion or a raise; they value more a stable life and their social life and they want a family life more than men in average plus they stop working more when they have a child and it is why they are paid a little bit less, surprisingly not that much less

LOL WHAT?

Everything you just said is ridiculously sexist and outdated. There are more stay at home dads today than ever before. More women in executive positions than ever before. It is just recently that the glass ceiling has been lifted in some areas for women.

They are paid less because they have a child at some point in life and have to take maternity leave? LOL. And it's surprisingly not much less? Are you a god damn retard?
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:27:55 AM

Any sources on this? I want to know what all countries affect this statistic. I hope countries like USA/Canada have less of this effect.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:33:06 AM

Any sources on this? I want to know what all countries affect this statistic. I hope countries like USA/Canada have less of this effect.

I'm pretty sure this happens everywhere, it should be better in some European countries and worse in muslim countries.

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:53:46 AM

Most of these effects go away once you adjust for years of experience and the job.  The latter is far more important than the former. 

However, the 77 cents headline gets attention, even though it does not stand up to careful examination.  This is not to say that women don't face discrimination and challenges, they do, serious ones, and they also bear a disproportionate burden making sure the human race continues, but consistently being underpaid to that degree is not supported by the empirical evidence.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:50:15 AM

But i think they are not counting the billionaires, i mean, in the list of top 100 millionaries there are only a few women there, but yeah, if you count only people who have jobs, that would be the amount.
beetcoin

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:11:59 AM

But i think they are not counting the billionaires, i mean, in the list of top 100 millionaries there are only a few women there, but yeah, if you count only people who have jobs, that would be the amount.

of the few female billionaires, most of that money was inherited. the male species is the alpha that destroys things. women are the ones who nurture. i think the reason why there aren't many women who hold power is in part due to sexism, and also due to nature.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 06:53:17 AM

It is for the same job, that's why it's a fact to be known. The spread is probably coming down though, more woman are getting paid what they deserve...at least for equal performance.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

From what i understand its a common misconception that men earn more rather women are less money focused vs men and will often quit earlier in their careers/take it easier in order to fulfill other areas of their life.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 11:09:25 AM

Over 90% of all workplace deaths are men. Men are working more dangerous jobs, and working more hours. Why shouldn't they be paid more? This "women are paid less" thing is a myth. They don't do the same job, therefore they don't get paid the same. End of debate.
blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:10:44 PM

How many women can be contruction workers, handymen, plumbers, all that. I don't mean to be sexist in any way but that is how it should be. Men are expected to run the family anyways and pay for things.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
DubFX

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:16:27 PM

I bet that ALOT of woman have hidden incomes from men in work Wink but ofcourse they won't admit it.
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:16:44 PM

How many women can be contruction workers, handymen, plumbers, all that. I don't mean to be sexist in any way but that is how it should be. Men are expected to run the family anyways and pay for things.

Congrats, my friend!

All of my black 'niggas' are in gangs. I don't mean to be racist, but that's how it should be.

There's so much sexism in this thread it hurts. If your under the belief that ALL women can't be equal as a male in strength, your hilarious. I'm guessing single fathers can't be expected to 'nurture' their kids because they're expected to just run the family and pay for things?

It's hilarious, buddy.

Over 90% of all workplace deaths are men. Men are working more dangerous jobs, and working more hours. Why shouldn't they be paid more? This "women are paid less" thing is a myth. They don't do the same job, therefore they don't get paid the same. End of debate.

So, your saying since some men work more dangerous jobs, they should get paid more in a office job than a female office worker? My job isn't really that dangerous. Your being strictly biased if you think because there's a male construction worker, than a male office worker should get paid more than a female worker, because his gender takes on 'more dangerous jobs'.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:54:14 PM

There's so much sexism in this thread it hurts.

LOL, so true!

I don't think those guys hang around women very often. Cheesy

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:28:27 PM

I agree with the OP this is the way I look at it also.  Women tend to do more jobs like physical therapy, nursing, teaching and not so much construction or technical engineering type jobs.  This is not saying they don't make a fair wage based on the work they do in most cases.  Their are more women then men so I think the study that came up with these numbers doesn't take all these things into consideration.  I see many wealthy females and females in positions of power in our society.  Can't really say that is the case all over the world.  I just think the discussion has become more about a issue of sexism.  When if anything it should be about getting females into more fields they aren't already in.  
apepoof

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:44:57 PM

Whites earn more than other ethnicities (in Western society)
Straight people earn more than gay people
Handsome more than ugly
Tall more than short

Its about employers prejudicing to some level what they want employees to represent, which is the most upsetting thing of all.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: