Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:01:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing Bitcoin to the mainstream  (Read 2974 times)
TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:08:09 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 06:23:25 PM by TETOCONPOLERA

One of the biggest problem getting people into Bitcoin is that we are: young, geeks, nerds, liberals, anarcho-capitalist, etc... (choose what you want) and we choose bitcoin only for its potential and its benefits, but in the real world we are only a minority

Most people are employees that buy the brand new and expensive smartphones, fashion clothes, listen new commercial music, etc just to follow the trend, and probably live their entire life apart from risk and investments... so, how we can reach them?

maybe one method is making bitcoin a new fashion, with merchandising and concentrating in how easy is to be used instead of how its works, mining, volatility of price, blockchain, etc

In Argentina we started a "evangelizing" movement doing travels around the country doing meetups, you can follow news on facebook https://www.facebook.com/girasbitcoiners

Bitcoiner Tour Argentina 2014

this thread is for share your ideas and opinions

Donations -> 1AJHWkkaQYY6MTGteKGVFeubhPJBi9z8Be

TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 04:12:39 PM by TETOCONPOLERA

Also we have a "revolutionary movement" called LaSatoshi where we do a little publicity with stickers , it's a half joke, a half seriuos

Inside argentinian Senate

It says: good bye pesos (argentinian currency)

it says: Postnet doesn't work, sorry for the inconvenience

an argentinian peso value

A cellphone advertisement in a supermarket

a famous payment processor

like in Venezuela we have "Precios cuidados" (a government price regulation of cosumer goods)

cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:30:21 AM

Great initiative
I think bitcoin is still in early phases but it will be something mainstream in the next years
just need some time to arrive to the most of the world
littlewizard

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:22:46 AM

It is great to see the efforts, there is still inflation in bitcoin, and in a few years it will become the mainstream
hiperion

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:25:37 AM

It is great to see the efforts, there is still inflation in bitcoin, and in a few years it will become the mainstream
http://btcbitcoin.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/fundacion-bitcon-argentina-bien-comun-o.html
http://btcbitcoin.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/la-fundacion-bitcoin-argentina-es-una.html
http://btcbitcoin.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/fundacion-bitcoin-argentina-labitconf.html
herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 02:48:54 AM

Whoa, you have girls with you. That's a start.  Tongue

I think one "cool" thing it has going for it is that it is truly a world currency, and it is subversive to the political status quo. If people have any dissatisfaction with their government, they should know Bitcoin is a good way to protest it.
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:02:51 AM

Just be carefull with the legal aspects, because at least here write in money notes is crime, and it might be used against you in the future.

There are people that will make and used everything to make the Bitcoiner's image be the worst.
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:10:57 AM

You don't get it. Bitcoin it's like the internet. It's a protocol. It needs to mature.
You don't have to rush things. And frankly you can't.
TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:33:53 AM

You don't get it. Bitcoin it's like the internet. It's a protocol. It needs to mature.
You don't have to rush things. And frankly you can't.

I know, in fact i was the last 3 years against bitcoin propaganda, because people use it for its benefits and no because you are selling it

but, at least in Argentina, we have reach a big part of young-geek-investor market, but we have no progress in mainframe market, things like this can help to reach them faster

for example, here we have a lot of people buying things that they don't need, paying an insane overprice only for advertisements and things like this (being a 3rd world "poor" country), if we can use some marketing strategies we can accelerate the process, for example teaching how to use Mycelium wallet instead of teaching about mining

As you can see in Coinmap, in Argentina we have a lot of business which accepts bitcoins, 148 vs 154 from the other countrys in hole south america

also we have some e-business like bitpagos, digicoins, http://enbitcoins.com (where you can pay taxes and services with bitcoin), two exchange (unisend and satoshitango)

on the other hand, we are near 40.000.000 inhabitants, so we still have a long road...
TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:46:14 AM

Just be carefull with the legal aspects, because at least here write in money notes is crime, and it might be used against you in the future.

There are people that will make and used everything to make the Bitcoiner's image be the worst.

thank you Malin Keshar, but we have 35% inflation per year and last year we had a 100% devaluation against american dollars...

our money it's a joke...  even they have printing errors, or they are badly cut

we have a new movement for making art in our cash for example:

Parsons

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:29:12 AM

The best thing is that Bitcoin is already kind of mainstream now. A lot of people that don't really understand it have at least heard about it. That's big progress in itself. Give it some more time and the final step will be easier... adoption.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:39:57 AM

I don't think BTC is inflation currency. The amount of BTC is limited to 21 million. The  value is increasing as it is going to mainstream.
gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:42:33 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 10:57:19 PM by gjgjg

Not sure if you know about quickcoin but it lets facebook users send btc to each other via their fb friends lists.
https://www.facebook.com/qcoin
If fb is in fashion in Argentina it could be utilized if you had some btc to spare on an awareness campaign (just to get people using it and at the same time start a kind of viral theme):

1. get someone (or many ppl) to donate 1.5 btc for this 'awareness' campaign.

2. of the 1.5b, divide 1btc into 500 or 0.002btc ie ~50c (or whatever multiple you want).

3. get word 'out' via posters around town or through facebook or whatever works, that the 'next 500 people who like your fb page who live in Argentina will get some free btc' via facebook (ie quickcoin)

4. distribute that 0.002btc to the subsequent 500 'likes' received and at the same time:

5. tell them when they get that 0.002btc that if they send that to someone, and that person sends it to another person and that person to another person etc (like a pass the parcel game), that the first one to prove they have sent it through 20 people, that the originator will receive a prize of 0.5btc (which is the remainder of the original 1.5btc investment). This part can be changed to whatever way you want, like the prize can be shared among the 20 people for eg, but its important to get people to convince their friends to receive the btc and then they send it to someone who has to convince the next person etc.

6 repeat every time you can get 1.5btc investment.

This way you get people actively/aggressively spreading the word out and at the same time getting people to use btc (sending and receiving).
Once they dip their feet in, it opens the flood gates and they are way more likely to re-dip on their own later.

Next, once they then become aware of where they can spend btc (which is what you can do via fb posts) now that they know how to use it, it should be easier to get people to go buy btc on their own afterwards and hopefully get some more believers.  

Whatever you do id always skip ideology and economics and technology when converting the average joe. keep it light, simple get them to have fun using it and just show them how fast it is and that its cool cos you can do it over facebook or apps etc. the average joe doesnt care about the things 90% of us here signed up for, so keep it simple and fun and centered around gadgets they already use: phones apps and facebook.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:49:33 PM

Not sure if you know about quickcoin but it lets facebook users send btc to each other via their fb friends lists.
https://www.facebook.com/qcoin
If fb is in fashion in Argentina it could be utilized if you had some btc to spare on an awareness campaign (just to get people using it and at the same time start a kind of viral theme):

1. get someone (or many ppl) to donate 1.5 btc for this 'awareness' campaign.

2. of the 1.5b, divide 1btc into 500 or 0.002btc ie ~50c (or whatever multiple you want).

3. get word 'out' via posters around town or through facebook or whatever works, that the 'next 500 people who like your fb page who live in Argentina will get some free btc' via facebook (ie quickcoin)

4. distribute that 0.002btc to the subsequent 500 'likes' received and at the same time:

5. tell them when they get that 0.002btc that if they send that to someone, and that person sends it to another person and that person to another person etc (like a pass the parcel game), that the first one to prove they have sent it through 20 people, that the originator will receive a prize of 0.5btc (which is the remainder of the original 1.5btc investment). This part can be changed to whatever way you want, like the prize can be shared among the 20 people for eg, but its important to get people to convince their friends to receive the btc and then they send it to someone who has to convince the next person etc.

6 repeat every time you can get 1.5btc investment.

This way you get people actively/aggressively spreading the word out and at the same time getting people to use btc (sending and receiving).
Once they dip their feet in, it opens the flood gates and they are way more likely to re-dip on their own later.

Next, once they then become aware of where they can spend btc (which is what you can do via fb posts) now that they know how to use it, it should be easier to get people to go buy btc on their own afterwards and hopefully get some more believers.  

Whatever you do id always skip ideology and economics and technology when converting the average joe. keep it light, simple get them to have fun using it and just show them how fast it is and that its cool cos you can do it over facebook or apps etc. the average joe doesnt care about the things 90% of us here signed up for, so keep it simple and fun and centered around gadgets they already use: phones apps and facebook.

interesting...

I shared your comment in our facebook group (Bitcoin-Argentina) for new points of view

one problem is that 1.5btc in argentina is more than an average person earn in a month, so the amount for share it would be a bit smaller... maybe 100 satoshis, for new ones it would be interesting

other idea for meetups in bars:

when people come they pay you $X for enter, so you give them the same amount in btc in a paper wallet for buy inside drinks or whatever they want. Doing this they learn how to receive and send bitcoins in a few minutes

btw, your last paragraph it's excellent!
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:58:56 PM

Wow you're doing a great job TETOCONPOLERA. Keep the movement going in Argentina, it may be the one thing that saves the poor from becoming even poorer as they have no other way to protect themselves from the upcoming and continued inflation in your country.

Please PM or post a donation BTC address so I can donate to your cause Smiley

If you post your donation address, please PM me too just so that I don't forget.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Hashforfun

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:40:04 PM

What if people are paid their salaries in bitcoins? Not the entire value but a %.

There are many people receiving their salaries on Paypal already.
TETOCONPOLERA (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:57:52 PM

Wow you're doing a great job TETOCONPOLERA. Keep the movement going in Argentina, it may be the one thing that saves the poor from becoming even poorer as they have no other way to protect themselves from the upcoming and continued inflation in your country.

If you post your donation address, please PM me too just so that I don't forget.

This is an excellent idea, I have modified the thread an added a wallet for donations

1AJHWkkaQYY6MTGteKGVFeubhPJBi9z8Be

this would be used for buying merchandising, stickers, etc

thanks for the idea and the good vibes!!

What if people are paid their salaries in bitcoins? Not the entire value but a %.

I think that for the average employee this could be cumbersome except for who already are bitcoiners  Undecided
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:14:36 PM

that's a brilliant initiative. I love the guerilla advertising, more people all over the world need to start that. Good luck.

also agree with this! Lots of bitcoiners would do well to keep the politics to themselves and instead play the "magic internet money" angle.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:18:56 PM

This is an excellent idea, I have modified the thread an added a wallet for donations

1AJHWkkaQYY6MTGteKGVFeubhPJBi9z8Be

this would be used for buying merchandising, stickers, etc

thanks for the idea and the good vibes!!

I think that for the average employee this could be cumbersome except for who already are bitcoiners  Undecided

Like I said, great project! I sent you some bitcoins, keep it up!

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 07:24:07 PM

This is the sort of Idea that will keep the bitcoin going...bitcoin rules...so does the bitcoin users... Cool Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: