Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:02:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the registration broken?  (Read 882 times)
lomalio (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:41:32 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 12:10:17 AM by lomalio

For a forum that contains IT enthusiasts, it is not working too well!

Try and register a new username. You will experience what I just did:

1, The link requesting a new captcha is not working.
2, If you enter a password less than 8 chars, it tells you to enter a longer one. After that If you enter a longer one it tells you that you have already registered!! But you haven't and cannot login. The solution is to try again with a new name.
3, No email verification!!!

No2 is appalling! The forum software is terrible.

Update:

Ok found another problem:

I tried to start a new thread but it said I need to wait 360 seconds since the last one. NP. I pressed back and then waited until I tried again ... It said that I have already posted that topic!!!?? So I tried again and same problem. Thus I just decided to make a whole new thread from scratch.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:31:34 AM

I remember all the initial errors I had when signing up.

I'm pretty sure it's to stop bots from making new accounts and making numerous spam posts.
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:42:07 AM

Thats on purpose to allow people to sign up using a fake email address should you wish to remain anonymous.

2, If you enter a password less than 8 chars, it tells you to enter a longer one. After that If you enter a longer one it tells you that you have already registered!! But you haven't and cannot login. The solution is to try again with a new name.

Those sound pretty bad.

Do you have Javascript disabled? what browser are you using?

Maybe if you try waiting 6 minutes it'll fix #2.

I tried to start a new thread but it said I need to wait 360 seconds since the last one. NP. I pressed back and then waited until I tried again ... It said that I have already posted that topic!!!?? So I tried again and same problem. Thus I just decided to make a whole new thread from scratch.

You need to make the thread again if you get that error. The old thread is saved in your drafts folder so you can copy it across.

There is new forum software being made at the moment. It's going to be open source forum software that'll compete with existing ones like PHPBB, SMF and vBulletin. Apparently theymos does not like the existing ones (I would agree) hence why they decided to do that. The new software won't be ready for a while, though I believe they are launching an alpha version of it shortly.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:30:39 AM

For a forum that contains IT enthusiasts, it is not working too well!

Try and register a new username. You will experience what I just did:

No2 is appalling! The forum software is terrible.

Update:

Yes, there are some flaws on the software, think this is why there is a new forum software is being developed. If for any reason do you fail in your registration, you wil be unable to register for another 45 s

And number 2 and 3 is ok if you value privacy, but introduces security problems, because you need only the password to take over an account
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:43:37 AM

I agree with not having a email conformation every time a setting is changed but maybe it would be a good idea to have one for the registration part.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
SelbyTsang

Activity: 577
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 06:46:12 AM

The limit is to prevent people registering new accounts to spam.
If you wait for a full 6 minutes after login, you would be able to make your post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0
Q: Why do I get the "The last posting from your IP was less than 360 seconds ago." error when I haven't posted today?
A: Logging in, sending PMs and reporting posts to a moderator will also be counted as posting and extend this limit back to 360 seconds. Don't worry: as your activity increases, the 360 second limit will decrease as well. Here you can see the algorithm how the posting limit is caluclated based on your activity: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237597.msg4131557#msg4131557

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: