Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:18:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a cool way to present .1btc to someone as a gift?  (Read 3817 times)
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:11:40 PM

A cool paper wallet design that can be found online.
herebittybittybitty (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:00:41 PM

Here's what I do, and it always creates a "wow" moment and a real convert.

I go to bitcoinpaperwallet.com and show them how to print a random paper wallet.  I explain the difference between the public address and the private key.  I then show them my Mycelium wallet and send some BTC to the new paper wallet.  We go to blockchain.info to explore the concept of confirmations, and we talk very briefly about miners and their role. I then hand them the paper wallet as a gift.  This is a magical experience.

I then provide them some info about how to learn more on their own.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, some of these physical "wallets" are really damn cool looking but in the end I wouldn't trust anyone with a private key, and BIP 0038 encryption just defeats the purpose of having everything stored in one place. And an engraving machine is just too expensive.  Tongue

I think I'm going to go with something like what blossbloss suggested... get some Teslin waterproof printing paper for printing, and maybe a fire-proof baggie to store it in.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:43:42 PM

Here's what I do, and it always creates a "wow" moment and a real convert.

I go to bitcoinpaperwallet.com and show them how to print a random paper wallet.  I explain the difference between the public address and the private key.  I then show them my Mycelium wallet and send some BTC to the new paper wallet.  We go to blockchain.info to explore the concept of confirmations, and we talk very briefly about miners and their role. I then hand them the paper wallet as a gift.  This is a magical experience.

I then provide them some info about how to learn more on their own.

Thank you to everyone for your responses, some of these physical "wallets" are really damn cool looking but in the end I wouldn't trust anyone with a private key, and BIP 0038 encryption just defeats the purpose of having everything stored in one place. And an engraving machine is just too expensive.  Tongue

I think I'm going to go with something like what blossbloss suggested... get some Teslin waterproof printing paper for printing, and maybe a fire-proof baggie to store it in.

Those are the same reasons I didn't make the metal wallets I had planned a few years back. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169291.0

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
bitkee

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 06:14:29 PM

You might wanna check this
https://bitkee.com/
https://cryobit.co/

Just about ~$30 Smiley

Hello, Jay from bitkee here.

We were actually discussing a new design as a "gift card" to give someone BTC as a gift maybe for a Birthday or Holiday. Wink We will probably incorporate a denomination on it somewhere too, for example "0.1 BTC" or even "1.0 BTC" somewhere on the card.

We would try our best to bring down the price for these as we understand someone will be buying them and then loading BTC onto the addresses and then gifting them to a friend/family.

While a paper wallet made of paper is a great gift, I personally feel like a "paper" wallet out of metal will less likely be disposed of in the future as it is hard to throw one of these bitkees away when you're holding it and see how it is not easily destroyed! In other words it is solid and has weight.

I see that your friend is already tech-savvy and libertarian-minded so maybe a paper wallet made of "paper" might be just fine for her/him. But for a skeptic of Bitcoin they may appreciate the gift when received but as time passes they may just see view it as a foreign piece of paper with "gibberish" on it that holds no value for them and thus easily discard it. Just my thoughts.

Contact us at info@bitkee.com and let us know if you're interested and we can get started on creating a "Gift" card layout for gifting to friends.

I check Bitcointalk from time to time, so it is easiest to reach us at info@bitkee.com

Thank you,
Jay @ bitkee
ducatitalia

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:41:12 AM

The Bitcoin ecosystem is such a challenging concept to many...so much of this new world order is complex, cryptic and intangible.  People tend to really enjoy holding onto physical representations.  Casascius coins are perhaps the most beautiful and tangible representations of Bitcoin as currency.  Here are examples of the 0.1BTC, 0.5BTC and 1BTC all silver editions...

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
wordman267645

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:53:54 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 06:11:35 AM by wordman267645

That's a damn perfect idea..but i don't know how to design wallet..This man must needs to learn about bitcoin.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:05:29 AM

girls dont like bitcoin and I'm not going to buy any of my guys that kind of costly gifts. Cool Cool

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:10:17 AM

Put it in a physical form, people love it, they look nice and can show it to others.

DDuckworth

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:57:14 AM

Send him one of those 90's style e-cards containing his address, then you can present him with his private keys and such in person.  Maybe he'll find the retro of it all to be hilarious.

BabesForBitcoin.com - Custom pics & vids from real girls for cash or bitcoin!
Bitbirdhunt

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:35:18 AM

You can buy usb thumb driver for that money. Or gift him mouse-keyboard peripherals..else a headphone Smiley Good luck.
CreamyPie

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:33:58 PM

You can tell the guy how much he received in mBTC, that will be larger amount Smiley

Else buy something physical.
kawsmic

Activity: 63

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:56:45 PM

Casascius coin would be pretty cool. I guess from what I read their not being made anymore so that is a cool gift IMO.  Something tangible to showoff, hold and look at is always nice especially if it appreciates in value.
I dont think the guy wants to be set back a couple btc lol
cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:31:21 PM

send me one, i tell how it did feel, for testing..

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:43:44 PM

This person is tech-savvy and libertarian-minded. He's heard of Bitcoin but doesn't know too much about it. Any ideas for a cool way to give .1 as a birthday present other than just a print-out? Not too expensive, obviously  Cheesy
Look on Etsy, there are a few people that can etch a private key on a dog tag.  Put it into a fire safe, and it won't burn nor get water damaged.

For security, I'd only provide a bip-38 password protected QRC.
MoonRise

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:12:05 PM

Gift him headsets, buy him software or gift him a btc wallet with 0.1 balance..

He will enjoy it.
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:58:57 AM

I personally feel that with anything of that amount he will be happy to receive it in anyway Smiley saying you are giving him .1btc will probably not mean much to him but if you was to tell him the conversion of that I can imagine he would be a very happy chap indeed. It's always the thought that counts in my opinion.
Ringumbau

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:30:26 PM

You'll have to explain what btc is before that  Roll Eyes
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:34:14 PM

if engraving, do not use a remote bitcoin service for it. instead go to a local store in your town that engraves metal or glass and get them to do it.

firstly due to the fact that he is less likely to even know what bitcoin is to even care what he is engraving, secondly you can be in more control of watching him to ensure he doesnt keep a copy. thirdly you know where he physically is and able to make a return visit to slap him with a wet fish if he did screw you

Check out how these guys do it.  (trustless)  Smiley

https://woodwallets.io/

Amazing, I'm definitively going to buy one of these sometimes
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 01:55:11 AM

This person is tech-savvy and libertarian-minded. He's heard of Bitcoin but doesn't know too much about it. Any ideas for a cool way to give .1 as a birthday present other than just a print-out? Not too expensive, obviously  Cheesy
Look on Etsy, there are a few people that can etch a private key on a dog tag.  Put it into a fire safe, and it won't burn nor get water damaged.

I don't think it would really be necessary to give someone a wallet that has this level of security. If you give the other person anything that involves them having the private key that you have had access to then they will need to trust that you will not steal/take the bitcoin on the wallet.

I would personally say the best way to present someone with .1 BTC as a gift would be to make some kind of card that says you will give them .1 BTC, then have them give you an addrees to send the BTC to.

Kayex

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:09:06 AM

I don't think it would really be necessary to give someone a wallet that has this level of security. If you give the other person anything that involves them having the private key that you have had access to then they will need to trust that you will not steal/take the bitcoin on the wallet.

I would personally say the best way to present someone with .1 BTC as a gift would be to make some kind of card that says you will give them .1 BTC, then have them give you an addrees to send the BTC to.
Oooh. That sounds nice and simple.
I would still go with the idea of using that BTC to buy the other person a gift. Maybe USD? Or use the btc to buy a present.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: