Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:30:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-08-17] Breaking: Bter Hacked, 50M NXT Stolen  (Read 1329 times)
cescan (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:43:03 AM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112278/breaking-bter-hacked-50m-nxt-stolen

he discussion about the hard fork continues. The new version released would only freeze the hacker's account. Which means those funds would still be lost but hacker would not be able to benefit other than the 100 BTC he got by blackmailing Bter. The rest of the blockchain will be rescanned and all transactions besides those coming from the Bter account would still be valid. Another fork could "unfreeze" the account, but that would of course be subject to another round of blockchain voting.

CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:29:14 AM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112278/breaking-bter-hacked-50m-nxt-stolen

he discussion about the hard fork continues. The new version released would only freeze the hacker's account. Which means those funds would still be lost but hacker would not be able to benefit other than the 100 BTC he got by blackmailing Bter. The rest of the blockchain will be rescanned and all transactions besides those coming from the Bter account would still be valid. Another fork could "unfreeze" the account, but that would of course be subject to another round of blockchain voting.

I have to say that this is one of the coolest things I've seen with cryptocurrencies: the ability to effectively take back stolen coins from thieves, assuming enough of the network agrees to the plan.  I love seeing justice like this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: