Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:19:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase has sold out of bitcoins for the day. Bullish  (Read 4080 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:43:52 AM

True story. I took a screen shot for the disbelievers. Bullish indeed. Now if only ethereum will stop selling all those coins.

http://imgur.com/hgoMUXf

Damn, I did not know a company as big as coinbase could go through something like this. I am excited for bitcoin.

Don't you guys remember March 2013? This was happening to Coinbase day after day. During that ramp, they were constantly out of coins to sell. Remember that they were much smaller then, and still on their initial seed investment. So they had a tiny liquidity pool, probably few developed relationships with coin suppliers, a small customer base, and little (relative) funding. So clearly when demand for coins rose, they weren't able to meet it, and gave users the "sold out" message.

I would expect their supply channels and volumes to be A LOT more flexible these days, so I'm slightly surprised to see this happening again. Perhaps most of the selling occurs on exchanges, while the retail outlets like Coinbase capture tons of small buys when they price drops quickly.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:06:42 AM

Guess it is a good thing I'm not wanting to buy bitcoin with fiat right now.

Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:21:12 AM

Be skeptical of Coinbase if they offer you to purchase at a market price 3-4 days later.  Also, many times if you try a few hours later, or even the next day, your purchase will go through immediately.
I think the OP is either forging the picture or he has reached his limit for trading for that day. Coinbase is really not an exchange but rather a broker and all "trades" are done via the customer's bank account. Once his limit has been reached he is not able to purchase/sell additional bitcoin until his limits reset.

EXPATINVESTOR

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:15:06 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 03:23:57 AM by EXPATINVESTOR

just bought 10 from Coinbase, No issues
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:33:12 PM

This is also observed on other brokerage firms, a bitcoin liquidity problem Cheesy

I believe that they still hold some amount of coins, but who would be so stupid to sell at low? They would rather forward the money to exchanges and lift the exchange rate instead of selling their precious coins at low

The brokers can feel the real demand, while exchanges are highly speculative and manipulated

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: