Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:16:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup question  (Read 982 times)
samek97 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:09:26 AM

Hello, I would like to ask a question with a specific example.

Let's say I use bitcoin core. I backed up my wallet.dat file with 1 BTC balance, then I spent 0.2 BTC leaving my balance with 0.8 BTC.

Suddenly my computer crashed and I lost all file on It but I still have my backup which I did at 1 BTC balance.

So, when I will paste my backed up wallet.dat file on other computer what balance will I get? Is it 0.8 BTC?

Like If I backup my wallet and then spend some of the bitcoins, my backed up wallet automatically updates the balance to lower or?

Thanks.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 09:30:34 AM

Hello, I would like to ask a question with a specific example.

Let's say I use bitcoin core. I backed up my wallet.dat file with 1 BTC balance, then I spent 0.2 BTC leaving my balance with 0.8 BTC.

Suddenly my computer crashed and I lost all file on It but I still have my backup which I did at 1 BTC balance.

So, when I will paste my backed up wallet.dat file on other computer what balance will I get? Is it 0.8 BTC?

Yes when you restore you wallet.dat you will have the amount of BTC you had last (not at the time of the backup). That is because the wallet.dat does not contain your bitcoins, but the private keys you need to spend your coins. There is actually no single place where the bitcoins are. The blockchain ist just a long list of inputs and outputs which together form transactions. If you have a private key that allows you use an unspend output of 1 BTC, you "control" or "have" 1 BTC.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 01:14:17 PM

That is true.

It is very important to note that there is a limit to this.  You should back up your wallet.dat file at least every 50 send transactions or so and you MUST back up your wallet.dat file after about 90 send transactions.  This is because every send uses a new private key and each backup contains all the private keys you have used so far plus the next 100 private keys you will use.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: